How to tell if you are a good player or not

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my humble opinion, being aware of your own limitations is key when trying to improve your game, while playing for fun is awesome. Some people say you don't really learn while having fun, but you and me know better :)

If by any chance you are interested in becoming a CC Spring League member, let me know. I intend to apply for captain and draft a team of donks to play for fun and not care about results.

Fun is definitely the way to go when it comes to learning. I think a lot of primary and secondary schools have found that out (just a pity they hadn't when I was still at school!)

It is a fun game but I could understand why some people might find it tedious. Best thing for those guys is to leave it alone or actually start finding out why people find it so addictive and exciting.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say your peers would know better than yourself how good or bad you are

NauGad

NauGad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I dare to disagree with you. Poker is certainly interesting, but also dangerous. Schoolchildren cannot be drawn into it. Excitement cannot be instilled since childhood. Poker is like good wine. Only in adulthood you will understand the taste of poker. And the psyche is already prepared for intoxication with excitement.

K

KAVA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check your bankroll after a given time. If it's more than what you start with, you are good.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

What does a bankroll have to do with it? Poker is not a way to make money. This is a way to have fun and adrenaline. Only a few earn poker, and even that is unstable. The game.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider myself a mid-level player. Knowing this, I try to play a little for money. I play more freerolls.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What does a bankroll have to do with it? Poker is not a way to make money. This is a way to have fun and adrenaline. Only a few earn poker, and even that is unstable. The game.

I think you may need to do a little more research. Even someone who is not exactly "pro" can make a living playing micros (less than about $25/ $50 buy-in). It is done through multi-tabling and having a strict strategy/ game-plan. There may be more lucrative ways to make a living because it would be a bit of a slog doing 8 tables for 8 hours a day. I think a lot of players do internet marketing too... they are obviously better than a lot of other internet marketers because they know their stuff.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, you know you're "good" when your results don't pull you around like a puppet on a string.

I like this line.

I started thinking of myself as a, 'better' player when I would catch a bad beat and say, "Meh, I played the hand right, it was just variance."

I used to yell, "WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU CALL WITH THAT CRAP" when I lost, but now I just snort and move on to the next hand... Mental note filed. I'll get them next time.

I watch some professionals on twitch.. and they win hands they lose hands... it doesn't phase them. I think this is a big hallmark of a good player.

It's not the ONLY trait, but it is an important one.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started thinking of myself as a, 'better' player when I would catch a bad beat and say, "Meh, I played the hand right, it was just variance."

Agreed - and especially if you can do that if you get a string of 2 or more bad-beats. In the long run you know you will be fine if you just stick with it and play well. For new players I think getting a string of (possibly only what they think of as) bad-beats can just make them quit.

I used to think I was getting bad beats but in reality, I would say, it was more like inexperience. More like simply not realizing how often good hands can emerge.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dare to disagree with you. Poker is certainly interesting, but also dangerous. Schoolchildren cannot be drawn into it. Excitement cannot be instilled since childhood. Poker is like good wine. Only in adulthood you will understand the taste of poker. And the psyche is already prepared for intoxication with excitement.

I like your perspective. I think it also depends on what age school-kids you are talking about though. I remember playing some poker in Sixth-form (probably called 12th or 13th year nowadays).

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Assessing you real abilites is the main thing.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like this line.

I used to yell, "WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU CALL WITH THAT CRAP" when I lost, but now I just snort and move on to the next hand... Mental note filed. I'll get them next time.

I watch some professionals on twitch.. and they win hands they lose hands... it doesn't phase them. I think this is a big hallmark of a good player.

It's not the ONLY trait, but it is an important one.

Exactly. Experience teaches how to handle the "bad beats" and move on.

Last night I won a tournament where during heads up play I won JJ vs 44, to completely cripple my opponent (110,000 - 700). My opponent went on to win 6 flips in a row to get back to even. Now, rather than steam about how I was supposed to win, I viewed it as another heads up match and an opportunity to simply "beat him again." Spoiler alert, I beat him again. ;):D

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably if in every tournament you play you make a lot of chips 150k 200k 300k then you can consider yourself a good player even if you can not get into the paid places.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

If you are happy for failures as well as victories, certainly - you are a good player. Your failure is your invaluable experience.

N

NameNoName

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me depends agenst what i play and how lucky i am but dont have much luck :(

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I am a good player. I earn a decent amount of buy-ins each month, but sadly those are still micro stakes.

NauGad

NauGad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I think poker is perseverance. The one who knows how to wait - he will always wait for the desired card.

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know which one I am, but I like to trap my opponent, especially if I have a good hand.
Check-raise followed by enemy all in is what I especially enjoy.

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at my balance, thats all I care about. I dont consider myself to be that good but hey look at that, im up!

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Want to know if you are good? If you win more money than you lose, you are good.

Poker Tells