How to tell if you are a good player or not

OneSevenFi5

OneSevenFi5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there's a lot of really good measurements that you can put forward towards assessing your own skill and/or ability to play the game well. BB/hr, running Vpip, and being able to ask and answer questions like "What is my equity here? What is my opponents range here? Should I be making this move from this position?". I think another important factor, perhaps the most important, is being able to take a step back and assess the level of play around you. That's probably saved me more money in the long run than anything. Its one thing to check your own game at the door and realize when you're playing too nitty, but its another to put your game aside and realize that the play around you can, or has adjusted, and that you can make minor adjustment to it as well to sharpen your edge.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a bad poker player is just like being stupid you will never know. From your perspective you would always consider yourself a good player who can improve.

Your statement implies that all bad poker players are oblivious to being bad and that's simply not true, in reality the majority of bad players are aware of their limitations and problems. It's just that the bad players who don't realize it tend to be loud and in your face so you remember them easily.

Even more, I think that in the majority of cases a bad player believes he is good not due to being a bad player per se, but due to also being stupid.

Basically, what I'm trying to say can be contracted into one sentence: While all stupid people make bad poker players, not all bad poker players are stupid people.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you are mainly surprised by how bad the players you win against are, you're a good player.
If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk

Despite the fact that I belong to the second category, I do not consider myself a very good player. When I play with friends, I almost always win. I just play better than them. The same thing happens online. But I haven't become a good player yet, I'm just learning

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obvious answer! You should have more wins and less losses~

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a beginner category player, I have already gone through the donk phase.
Doing everything to rise to the next level.
:ciao:

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing not thinking.

Thinking your good at poker is the first sign that your a fish. Knowing you're better then the 99% that think they're good. Is a good start to be better then the good players. If you don't know your outs on top of the other players outs before you see they're cards you still need some practice. If you don't see any fish at the table you must be the fish.. gl ggs and as always have fun

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider myself a good poker player, not a very good poker player

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are some statistics in sharkscope and Huds that show when a player is good. Basically this information is:
EV bb / 100 - minimum 10
bb / 100
ITM%
Total Roi
Average roi
Early finishes up to 6
Average profit

All of these data are only relevant with a significant sample (volume).

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just move on, study and practice more

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a good poker player and with every loss I will become even better! :D

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm behind in the hand and I need some luck, I don't get it. I guess that makes me a bad player?:confused:

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
While your profits are bigger than your losses, we can say that you are a good player on the games that you play.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, do you win or lose? How much? That is how good or bad you are, according to poker.

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
simple

We all want to believe that we are smart, good looking, and good poker players, but in reality it's a minority of people who possess each of these individual qualities, let alone the whole package.

For intelligence we have IQ tests, for looks beauty pageants (well, for women only, and then who's discriminated against here, right?), but how can you find out how good of a player you are?

Here is my answer to that question:

it's not that simple ... it's just results the answer

If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you are mainly surprised by how bad the players you win against are, you're a good player.
If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk.

PS: Don't feel bad if you found yourself in the donk category. You are still a bad player, but have more fun, and most likely lose less money at the tables than the other bad players who are not donks :)

it's not that simple ... it's just results the answer

Orathion

Orathion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe you're a good player when you are consistently improving and preferably not eating away at your bankroll before you are confident in your skills. Anything can happen in any game and a good player weathers the storm as best they can regardless of skill level. This is simply my current opinion.

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all want to believe that we are smart, good looking, and good poker players, but in reality it's a minority of people who possess each of these individual qualities, let alone the whole package.

For intelligence we have IQ tests, for looks beauty pageants (well, for women only, and then who's discriminated against here, right?), but how can you find out how good of a player you are?

Here is my answer to that question:

If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk.

PS: Don't feel bad if you found yourself in the donk category. You are still a bad player, but have more fun, and most likely lose less money at the tables than the other bad players who are not donks :)

Well I guess i am a donk but a donk who has fun and really dont spend too much on entertainment other than a few bucks here or there. Ir costs more fer gas to go to town than what i spend on poker and i have a blast most of the time doing it fer fun not to make coin

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I am a bar player and sometimes a donk, I wish to be a good player but need more time for poker, right away I can't . Anyways, hilarious your PS note haha :)

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on consider the table's profile and adapt your game to it. You can be a good player in a "bad" table.

J

Jlo111888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont know if i good player but im a good seller :dancing2:

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
a person who thinks, playing at least a year and knows at least the basics of poker is already considered a good player
poker paths are inscrutable

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I guess i am a donk but a donk who has fun and really dont spend too much on entertainment other than a few bucks here or there. Ir costs more fer gas to go to town than what i spend on poker and i have a blast most of the time doing it fer fun not to make coin

In my humble opinion, being aware of your own limitations is key when trying to improve your game, while playing for fun is awesome. Some people say you don't really learn while having fun, but you and me know better :)

If by any chance you are interested in becoming a CC Spring League member, let me know. I intend to apply for captain and draft a team of donks to play for fun and not care about results.

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
A professional poker player is someone who plays poker as a way of life. Those who earn enough money to support themselves. The question. How to know if I play well? I think he is the one who manages to make money playing poker, according to his banking level. But at the beginning I clarified, one thing is to be professional and another is to play well.:playingba

DWProdigy

DWProdigy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Results over a large sample size is the only way to know this, interesting theory though OP haha :)

Poker Tells