How to tell if you are a good player or not

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finding how your opponents play is the key on poker and how to exploit them, then you will know if you are a good player or donk. Easy rit. Good luck all.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I agree with your statement, but only if we are taking into account freerolls and home games with no rake.

If we consider raked games, than ability to generate income month after month sets the bar too high, as it does not make one a good poker player, it makes him a great player, part of a small elite. That is simply because of how efficient rake is in continuously and mercilessly removing money from the table.

For example, you are player who's skill I consider to be easily in top 5 of all members of Cardschat. But you are not profitable outside of freerolls as per SharkScope, and in my opinion you are still a very good poker player, above what I predict I could ever become myself.

Thanks for your words ... however I keep learning day by day ... and I have to say that thanks to the cardschat freerolls and the quality of the members here I have been able to improve my game ... by the way forgive me ignorance ... what is sharkscope?

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all want to believe that we are smart, good looking, and good poker players, but in reality it's a minority of people who possess each of these individual qualities, let alone the whole package.

For intelligence we have IQ tests, for looks beauty pageants (well, for women only, and then who's discriminated against here, right?), but how can you find out how good of a player you are?

Here is my answer to that question:

If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you are mainly surprised by how bad the players you win against are, you're a good player.
If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk.

PS: Don't feel bad if you found yourself in the donk category. You are still a bad player, but have more fun, and most likely lose less money at the tables than the other bad players who are not donks :)

Sometimes I'm all three. Think about when each happens: Freerolls, micro, highstakes, etc:

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your words ... however I keep learning day by day ... and I have to say that thanks to the cardschat freerolls and the quality of the members here I have been able to improve my game ... by the way forgive me ignorance ... what is SharkScope?

sharkscope.com, a website that allows you 5 free searches on players MTT performance on various poker sites. Just type the player's screen name (like wiser_man), and choose from the drop down list to see results.
If you sign up and pay you get more detailed results, unlimited searches, and cash tables not only MTTs, but even the free version gives you an idea about a player's results.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always associated consistency with being good player. Once you hit the table and you finish strong in the money, final tables and top three, I'd say you are a good player.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I need to rewatch this movie because-for the life of me- can't remember this scene!

Seems like a favourable enough reaction though.. :biggrin:

I love that movie, man! That scene happens right after they run away from Steve's wedding :)

Loky13

Loky13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check your current bankroll compared to the bankroll u started with...simple,right? :))

D

Davidale624

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are a good player when you master the rules and have enough knowledge of the game, this leads you to make fewer mistakes at the table. And then I understand that when you learn to interpret your opponents this gives you a great advantage.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No point being a good poker player. Rather be a profitable poker player. I much rather be an below average player always playing against worst players, than the world's top 10th player playing against the world's top 9 players.

umyt

umyt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
according to my result in poker
I'm a passive player

I advise everyone to view their results

D

DenverChicken

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the K8o beats your AA you made a mistake

You are the example. Good players know when to fold which means they aren’t “surprised” when their K8o beats your AA because you played too slowly. It means you are surprised when your AA loses because you made a mistake.
I do not agree with any of your answers. All you have done is made reference to someone's experience level. Anyone who has played more than a few hundred hands should be perfectly aware that bad players can beat you. You can be sitting on the button with AA against some VPIP 70 player who is in BB with K8o. If they end up with a set of 8s and you have just AA then you will lose... and probably a lot especially if you played correctly!

If you are surprised by anything at all then you are almost certainly not experienced. That means you are almost certainly not that good.

EDIT: Just thought I would mention - I think a good player is one that first learns how to play well, and then has financial success by using that knowledge. Experience and perseverance will then do the rest.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blix I like your thoughts about profitable however I love the challenge or testing my ability against better players hopefully making me a better player

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The obvious answer is Return Of Investment. Or in plain language do you profit from it in the long run?

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all want to believe that we are smart, good looking, and good poker players, but in reality it's a minority of people who possess each of these individual qualities, let alone the whole package.

For intelligence we have IQ tests, for looks beauty pageants (well, for women only, and then who's discriminated against here, right?), but how can you find out how good of a player you are?

Here is my answer to that question:

If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you are mainly surprised by how bad the players you win against are, you're a good player.
If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk.

PS: Don't feel bad if you found yourself in the donk category. You are still a bad player, but have more fun, and most likely lose less money at the tables than the other bad players who are not donks :)
I'm a firm believer in "if you cant spot the fish at the table, then you are the fish."

This also come along with a firm understanding of the game, and recognizing "fishy plays". The longer you go into a session you should be picking up on these plays from other players. The less you see, the tougher the table.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are the example. Good players know when to fold which means they aren’t “surprised” when their K8o beats your AA because you played too slowly. It means you are surprised when your AA loses because you made a mistake.

Your comment makes no sense. You are reading something into something that is not there lol. Yes, a perfectly good player can lose when playing AA. Who said anything about slow playing except you? 72o can beat AA... do you automatically fold AA because you are worried they might be holding 72o? Be sensible please.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I was thinking your comment was so absurd that it required some extra context. If you are up against a loose aggressive player who shoves all-in pre-flop, and you are holding AA, would you fold? If you call, do you consider that slow play? If it turns out that they are holding 72o and they win with 2 pairs or a full house, do you believe that this was not a potential outcome?

If you folded pre-flop with AA because you knew that they were going to end up with 2 pairs, that does not make a you a good player. It means you are clairvoyant:D (or a hacker!)

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
IMHO, being a good poker player means being able to constantly adjust your play to make correct decisions against the specific players at your table and the specific hand/game situation you find yourself in at any given moment, as well as not allowing variance/bad beats to affect your state of mind and your play. Nobody can do this perfectly all of the time (we are all human and make mistakes, and we never have complete information), but those who can do it more often than not can succeed, and in the long run this success will be reflected in your graph, your profit, ROI, etc.

At this point, I would consider myself a mediocre player. I still have a lot to learn. I'll admit that up until a year ago, I was a terrible player. I really didn't know what I was doing and didn't really care to learn. Then I decided to take poker seriously, and in the last year I've built a bankroll from $0 to $1250 playing freerolls and micro stakes. Its been slow and difficult, but I hope to continue to improve.

Last edited:
M

marfuki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think good poker player starts with bankroll managament, you can win 1000 usd one day and think you are a poker god but when you lose it all within next couple od days then your skill diminishes as fast as your selfconfidence.

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I am a bad player,but I would like to improve

D

DenverChicken

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinking your comment was so absurd that it required some extra context. If you are up against a loose aggressive player who shoves all-in pre-flop, and you are holding AA, would you fold? If you call, do you consider that slow play? If it turns out that they are holding 72o and they win with 2 pairs or a full house, do you believe that this was not a potential outcome?

If you folded pre-flop with AA because you knew that they were going to end up with 2 pairs, that does not make a you a good player. It means you are clairvoyant:D (or a hacker!)

I stand by my original reply. If someone at your table shoves with 72 or K8, I want in on that table. At any legitimate table, slow playing is the only way you would be SURPRISED when your AA loses to K8

D

DenverChicken

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Mkay. So you’re holding AA that lost to 72. Are you more surprised with how poorly they played or how poorly you played?

Gloria_Legenda

Gloria_Legenda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you haven't lost your car, your apartment, or your job, then you're not playing so bad
=)

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is easy to know if you are a good player, it is measured in the gains you get for each certain amount of hands played, if you want to be like them you must study and be persevering, do not get upset when you lose, try to correct mistakes and improve every day, If you do not leave one day, close the session and come back when you are full.

Poker Tells