Your opinion on 10 minute breaks

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5 minutes is plenty. In fact I remember back in the day, before Black Friday, there was a site on which there was an option to click I'm ready if you returned from break early. If all the players returned from break and clicked I'm ready. the tournament would resume. You would be surprised how many times, especially deeper into tournaments, breaks would only last two or three minutes because all of the players would return and click I'm ready. I remember being at a final table one time when the break only lasted for about ten seconds, because all the players were eager to get on with the game.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 10 minutes it's too much for a break.
I like how it is now 5-6 minutes and I feel it's enough

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 minutes is enough. Sometimes even too long, coz usually brake goes for 7-8 minutes due to waiting while every table finishes hand and only then brake starts.

S

SuperSenya

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think more than 5 minutes is needed. Its enough to make a cup of coffee:) or go to WC:)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 5 minutes is plenty. In fact I remember back in the day, before Black Friday, there was a site on which there was an option to click I'm ready if you returned from break early. If all the players returned from break and clicked I'm ready. the tournament would resume. You would be surprised how many times, especially deeper into tournaments, breaks would only last two or three minutes because all of the players would return and click I'm ready. I remember being at a final table one time when the break only lasted for about ten seconds, because all the players were eager to get on with the game.

I remember that - it was great when you were deep in a tournament and didn't even need a break- or just a couple of minutes would do.

I think there are probably more people who prefer 5 than 10 - as everyone has said it would lengthen the time to complete the tournaments - plus you would lose 5 min of playing time in too many blind levels.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter which we prefer - the sites will never change it as it would cost them money.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
No way it's possible for every hour as if you're playing in a tournament for long even 5mins breaks start to feel like way too much time. So every hour 10 mins break would make tournaments longer and less attractive. But if there was a 10 min break at certain time several times throughout the day - that would be nice. Of course all the rooms should agree on this decision - for example every 5/6 hours starting 2 pm there is a bigger break, it might be paid off by eliminating some 5 mins even. Or something alone those lines. But it will work only if there will be a collaborate effort of all the major rooms.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in such a question, you also need to ask the opinion of the wife (girl)

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with those who think that the extra five minutes every hour would add too much to tournaments which can already go six hours. Now I have a very small home and the way that I've worked around pretty much anything, except for bathroom breaks, is to be on the move the instant I fold my hand.

I break a task like making a sandwich down into twenty to thirty second segments. It might take ten minutes or so for it to be complete but it does work. It also gives me some exercise "running" back and forth. :)

T

TUGIN777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 minutes

I agree. The break should be 10 minutes or at least 8. During this time, you can have time to smoke, go to the toilet and pour coffee. I can't do anything in 5 minutes. You can also relax and analyze your game a little.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 5 min is long enough. It is every hour so you can do what you need to do at least I can.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the end of the day it doesn't matter which we prefer - the sites will never change it as it would cost them money.

This is true, because the longer tournaments last, the less of them people will play on average, and the less rake the poker site will earn. But as you say, the majority of players also seem to prefer to not spend to much time. Where players are given the choise between otherwise identical tournaments like in the SnG lobby, the turbos are always more popular than those with regular speed.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a longer break would be good, but it would be counterproductive, tournaments get longer and that's what I want the least. Perhaps if the thinking times were shortened, time would be saved and the game would become more dynamic, sometimes players take too long to decide which hand to play and which not to play.:)

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you. The 10-minute rest time can help players solve some emergency situations, such as defecation. 5 minutes is really a bit short, which will catch some players off guard.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps if the thinking times were shortened, time would be saved and the game would become more dynamic, sometimes players take too long to decide which hand to play and which not to play.:)

I agree. Sometimes regular speed full ring MTTs only deal like 30-35 hands per hour, which is almost down to live poker speed. This is definitely something, poker sites could look into for instance by giving players less time per decision but a larger time bank as compensation. The beeping sound of regular time running out tend to wake people up ;)

G

g3amb07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
breaks in tournaments should be 10 minutes

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe every second hour or one and a half.

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in online tournaments each hour the players get a break for 5 minutes . i think it should be 10 minutes instead because then you can make yourself a sandwich or if you need to go to the restroom and take longer etc.

what is your opinion on this ?

Online you can sit out a hand or 2 if you really need to go....

Food ? Why not eat before you start a match.... As you said you get a 5 min break each hour. How long does a sandwich take to eat?

The break is a health and safety law, to stop users staring at the screen.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not like longer breaks. Then would extend the duration of MTTs even further, and in general its already difficult to fit large MTTs into a life, which also contain other activities and obligations. I would also feel it very annoying, if I had just sat down and played for 12 minutes, and then we had to go on a 10 minute break.

The other thing that rooms could do if they did extend the breaks is to shorten the levels, so that there's less play because if they already know a particular tournament is going to last x number of hours, say 5 hours, but now you're adding 25 minutes to the length of the tournament, it's costing them money, so to counteract that, they would make the blinds just a little bit faster so that the tournament will be completed around the same average time as before when it was just 5 minute breaks.. Then, you have a new problem (for some at least).

I'm fine with the 5 minutes as it currently is.

avangard555

avangard555

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I completely agree that there is often a lack of time. Alternatively, alternating 5 and 10 minute breaks

CKALLDAY

CKALLDAY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with this. There is barely enough time to run to the bathroom real quick. If you want to eat something, forget about it there's no time. So I have to make my food fast. Then play poker with my opposite hand while I eat. It's annoying. My left handed poker game is definitely not as good as my right handed poker game. Stupid short breaks.

My suggestion would be to learn how to make a sandwich and eat with your left hand. Priorities. :)

I don’t mind the 5 minute break. I think it is enough time, and more often than not, I’m back ready with time to spare.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 mins breaks are ok. Just prepare everything you need before your mtt/sng session.
Longer breaks can harm your quality of playing because you could easily lose your concentration and start to think about other things.

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I don't even need the 5 minute breaks specially when playing on my phone. It is effectively 6-7 minutes on average anyways because you have to wait for all the tables to finish their current hand. You can always sit out for couple of flops if you really are in an emergency.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the most part 5 min breaks seem to work out well for me. Plus they are usually a bit longer if other tables are finishing their hands. Perhaps a 10 minute break every 3 hours might be nice. I am usually playing on my laptop, so I usually just lug it around wherever I need to go so that I can get tasks done and continue playing.

A 10 minute break every hour would take up waaaay too much time as most tournaments already take a while as it now with 5 minute breaks.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online you can sit out a hand or 2 if you really need to go....

Food ? Why not eat before you start a match.... As you said you get a 5 min break each hour. How long does a sandwich take to eat?

The break is a health and safety law, to stop users staring at the screen.

when you sit out you still get cards dealt . and i dont want to miss good hands