Can you build a bankroll from just freerolls?

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it's possible. I think you have to put huge effort because it is a slow process and mostly a waste of time if you do not make it in the money. Lot of patience required and discipline.

girts87

girts87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on site you playin , but you can made profits and build $ playing freerolls first

when my country banned bnk transfer to forien gambling site. i still had account with 0 in it.
and played just for fun, freeroll.. i made 300$ in few h. many times 50-100$ , and still be able to cash out money to my bank .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good post, I myself have done it a few times.
The first bankroll I built from scratch was on Full Tilt Poker
From $0.00 to $700.00 ,then Black Friday happened and my money was gone.
Only people playing back then would understand how devastating it was to lose your whole bankroll without warning overnight.
Eventually thanks to PokerStars most of us got our money back but it took a while and in the meantime I had to start over, did get it up to about $50.00 before I got my money back From my FTP bankroll.
Anyway as the op says play as many free tournaments as you can all the experience you get can only help you later on.
I agree with you, of course, it is much more useful to play in freerolls than to play on conditional chips. there are also private freerolls with good prize money. While you have built up your bankroll, also don't forget to play bankroll management.

Life is a game , play beautiful

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely! I never deposited on ACR. I started with freerolls and am now playing freerolls and micros and have over $700 at this point in time (I'm Redrydinhood on ACR). I'm thinking about taking the next step to low level tourneys but I am very careful with my hard earned bankroll to not start playing at a level I shouldn't be at, so I don' t want to rush it. LOL! It has taken me years! (That's the downside.) :) My hubby makes fun of me buying into a $2 tourney and asks me when I'm going to play for real money.

EverySunday

EverySunday

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes =)

Today 1/313 ACR 50$ freeroll + 10.39$

O

over_big

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it can be done.

freeroll to money then buy into tournaments and do well.

stay within bankroll rules and you can do it!

L

lolofon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah maybe you can build bankroll by freerols

L

lolofon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it can be done.

freeroll to money then buy into tournaments and do well.

stay within bankroll rules and you can do it!
yeah tbis is what i mean like you said it can be done like this

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it really depends on what you're trying to achieve.
There are lots of posts on building a bankroll so I won't repeat that. However, If you want to be playing big money, it is likely to take a long time on freeroll wins alone.
The trouble is, with freerolls, the starting stack is often very small and the blind levels go quite quickly. So in addition to having strong fundamental strategy, you also require a fair amount of luck to boot.
Another issue, is that you need to have sufficient Buy-ins in your bankroll to be able to get you past "variance". Otherwise, your down-swings can easily eat through your bankroll.
Best of luck!
Cheers,
ObbleeXY

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
definitely here in cardschat we can build bankroll thru freeroll

O

orlando miguel rossler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is the only thing that I have no doubts and more with the facilities that the cardschat family gives you if you do not do banking it is because you are bad or you have a streak of bad luck that can happen but doing banking here is thanks to this family and if you study you do not have you doubt that your banka will raise luck at the tables

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you have the time, probably the best way to build a BR, but it's not easy and you need to be super tight on BRM. I started on freerolls and have never deposited my own money, up to over $1500 now but taken, many, many hours. My biggest win came from a free ticket to enter a MTT for tickets, won a $2 ticket, used that to win a $10 ticket and with that one a PKO MTT and $573 - so yes can be done!

Split

Split

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm doing this right now))
I try to raise the bank roll only on freerolls
but with the money I won, I still play micro-stakes, since there are few freerolls
I think getting up from freerolls is possible!
In a sense, it is even easier to play there, since the rivals are much weaker, but there is also a downside, they are less predictable)

arashsgr

arashsgr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BANKROLL

it seems possible, but it takes too much time. I believe freerolls are good for newcomers and amateurs but it's not easy to invest lots of energy and time into it. so don't get too excited to win some freerolls every now and then you need to climb the ladder and sit on a higher stake tables

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Ofc this is possible. I only prefer freerolls with good field, example special CardsChat freerolls, freerolls from afiliate links, or freerolls from CardsChat Club. I won from freerolls about $3700 including won about $500 from CardsChat freerolls. Freerolls to all with many players and not good value are a waste of time.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
getting up from free tournaments is quite realistic, just what are your goals? it is a long journey and very nervous, I did it myself, only it costs a lot of time and effort, here you can really get into tilt, but gain experience, but do you need it?

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. My feelings and experience says yes. It may be the long way, though. I try to avoid lengthy registration times and unlimited rebuys. CardsChat tournaments do offer a chance to build a bankroll, so I play mainly in those. Good luck with this.
Dan'O

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolling

As many others have mentioned, building a bankroll on freerolls and super micro-stakes is certainly possible, albeit difficult and somewhat tedious.

When attempting to play long-term, profitable poker, the main objective is to make + EV decisions and overcome variance. The issue of variance when playing in freerolls and micros is exacerbated for at least two reasons:
  • The fields in the majority of freerolls consist of new, inexperienced, extremely casual, or simply bad players. This means that range assumptions you use may not be particularly applicable, and bet sizings may seem strange. This all serves to increase the variance within the tournament.
  • The second reason variance increases with this strategy is because there simply aren't enough freerolls and super micros to play. The primary method to overcome variance is to increase volume (i.e., play more tournaments).
    • However, the number of freerolls are limited, and the number of micros you should be registering for as you build your bankroll will be determined by your current bankroll. From the experts on proper bankroll management, you should use a 1% and 0.3% average buy-in for SNGs and MTTs, respectively (e.g., if you've managed to run your bankroll up to $300, use an average buy-in of $3 for SNGs and $1 for MTTs).
As you might already know, building a bankroll strictly off freerolls until you have enough to start registering for micros and abiding by bankroll management can be a long, arduous task. My guess the number one issue people have when attempting this (and I'm no exception) is that they get their bankroll up to $10 or maybe $50 off freerolls and begin registering for $0.55 and $1.65 tournaments, potentially blasting that hard-earned but small bankroll to smitherines within a couple days.

To successfully and safely build a bankroll off freerolls, one has to register for all the freerolls they can find and perform as well as possible (some are good just to get ITM whereas in others all the money is in the final table) and then build that bankroll to a healthy enough size that you can begin registering for super micro-stakes without poor bankroll management. I've learned this the hard way after getting over-confident with shipping freerolls and then blowing the earnings. Now I abide by what I've said above and it's going much better, although slower! I hope this helps anyone else running into similar issues.

- Sundizzel

LitPavel

LitPavel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are well-known players who earned all their money from scratch, someone took 1.5 years to earn an impressive amount from someone more, but it all comes down to one thing you need to be able to properly manage your bankroll management. Well, you can't do without self-development and a little luck)

Good luck to you !

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is possible , Imake it so ,Iwait until Ihave win 1$ in freerolls ,with that $ Iplay a sit and go or tournement and so on ,so your bankroll get slowly more

Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can, if you have extreme luck for cards. Because normall freeroll plays many, many players(sometimes around 10-20k). Cardschat freerolls are little bit better with them, daily freerolls are playing around 200 players so you have more chance to win some money

Alexander Rubcov

Alexander Rubcov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Yura, you can build a bankroll from freerolls,but it will be very long and painful.The distance of freerolls is very small, while after making a bankroll you can play freely.I recommend playing freerolls less than the main discipline.Good luck in the game.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you can. Cardschat freerolls give you that opportunity. If you strike big in one of them, then you have a decent amount to play NL2, and if you are a good player and without bad luck, you can start grinding and never bust your bankroll. Thats how I built it

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's totally possible, in the last 2 months I've only been playing freerolls and I've won 63 dollars. There are many poker sites with freeroll tournaments

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management Freeroll Passwords