Are you a winning freeroll player?

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn't it be easier to just divide the prize poll by number of players and treat that as your buy-in (so subtract it from your virtual bankroll)?

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Playing cash tables and buy-in tournaments makes it easy to know if you are a winning player or a losing one, all you have to do is look at what happens to your bankroll.
But how about freerolls? There is no buy-in so the worst you could do is break even, which makes the vast majority of us winning players. We even build bankrolls out of freeroll winnings, and some of us wonder if they are ready for the buy-in tournaments.

Here is an idea about how to assess what kind of player you are using the Cardschat freerolls:
Imagine a buy-in of $1 for ACR/BCP and Intertops freerolls, and $2 for the BOL/SB ones (I know that for the ACR/BCP it should be a little smaller because the field is 110-140 players, but considering that we don't count the added rake on any of the tournament and for the sake of easy calculation, I think it's a good approximation).
Double your approximate number of BOL/SB freerolls you've played and add that to the number of ACR/BCP and Intertops freerolls. Subtract the obtained number from the amount on dollars you've won playing those freerolls. If you obtain a positive result you are winning player, a negative result means you are a losing player, and anything close to zero makes you a break even player.

Non US players who play PS for example will need to approximate the buy in by dividing the prize amount plus 10% by the average number of players (so for a $100 freeroll with 300 entries, the imaginary buy-in would be 33 cents).

Example: If you are a CC FC regular, playing 400 ACR/BCP and Intertops freerolls and 100 BOL/SB freerolls a year, you need to make at least $600 to consider yourself a break even player, and more than $600 to consider trying buy-in MTTs without negative expectation.

PS: I came up with the above idea trying to assess my own performance, and thought it might be helpful to other fellow CC members. Please let me know what you think, and if you find it to be flawed or inaccurate don't be shy and tell me why. Good luck at the tables!

Hello Friend.
Interesting your point of view. However, it has a flaw:
- We cannot compare players when they play buy-in with when they play freerolls. Whoever enters the freeroll does not have a bankroll to manage. So play more loose. I'm tired of seeing 2-8 players call all in against KK and sometimes they even take the pot. In the paid game the predisposition to be manic decreases a lot.
Someone mentioned before that the micro limits would be more suitable for this analysis. I agree.

C

Chaskyweed05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The closest I was was in 3rd place of 7000 registered

erik_lima

erik_lima

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't compare a regular tournament with a freeroll. It's very different.

If you want to know if you are ready to play regular tournaments, you should build a bankroll and start slowly on the tournaments, check if you feel comfortable playing.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is basically how I look it. (Your calculation left out the 10% though, the imaginary buy in would be 36 cents). I don't keep detailed stats though because I know I beat them. But if you did you would just discount your winnings by these imaginary buy ins.

That would tell you you're beating the freeroll pool, which is going to be the softest pool of tournament players. If you're not beating the freeroll pool, you probably won't beat tournaments with buy ins either.

I stand corrected about the 36 cents and agree with everything else you said.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play that often but have won a couple plus several deep runs ..Thanks Cardschat !!

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you a winning freeroll player?

If I think I'm good since I get prizes in at least one of the 3 I play daily.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order for such data to be correct, it is necessary to play at least a monthly load for an MTT player (approximately 1000-1500 tournaments), and I play only 100 freerolls a month - so say that either there is simply no information!

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it s pretty hard to be a losing freeroll player if you ask me.

That beeing said, i am perfectly dead even!:laugh:

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is tough to be a losing player at freerolls. :)

S

Superhansi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My bankroll goes up and down right now 😂👍

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the freeroll you will really spoil your nerves, or vice versa, but it is difficult to learn poker in them, only the rules and tilt are understood

Darkray

Darkray

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it not only those people who play freerolls on this forum?

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never tried to consider playing freerolls in such a range, for me, if playing freerolls increases your bankroll and sometimes allows you to withdraw some amounts, then you can consider yourself a profitable player. Again, if you use this bankroll to play cash MTT or cash, and your bankroll is melting, then something is still missing.

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I never won a freeroll or reached the final table, but anyway I could build up my bankroll with about 35 USD in some months in the freerolls of 888 poker.

It feels strange, but I never gained freeroll success in pokerstars or bet-at-home freerolls, as I played not very often or are not patient enough as there the blinds structure is sooo slow.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Free money for doing something fun is a win to me. Not big on doing the math. The big difference not accounted for is the donkey factor being way higher in freerolls.

O

Ottohenrique 12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going straight to the awards, I believe so

byron42

byron42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use freerolls to build my initial bankroll and start playing MTTs. Balance from micro level MTTs is what you should consider to see if you are winning player or not.

I've done this for years, and been able to make a some decent bankrolls (considering the starting point of freerolls to micro mtts). However, I've never been able to make the transition from low to mid. I've taken my fair share of shots at bigger stakes but ultimately never been able to make the next bump. Kinda sucks, but I'll keep trying.

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im somewhat a winning poker player in general just havnt had my big break yet. 3 cardschat freerolls so far one min cash. I know as soon as I win one, it will be downhill battle from there on.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
and good reasoning to have an idea of ​​how to play!

jdorganic

jdorganic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the last few freerolls i fall asleep 😴

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
poker fundamentals

Playing cash tables and buy-in tournaments makes it easy to know if you are a winning player or a losing one, all you have to do is look at what happens to your bankroll.
But how about freerolls? There is no buy-in so the worst you could do is break even, which makes the vast majority of us winning players. We even build bankrolls out of freeroll winnings, and some of us wonder if they are ready for the buy-in tournaments.

Here is an idea about how to assess what kind of player you are using the Cardschat freerolls:
Imagine a buy-in of $1 for ACR/BCP and Intertops freerolls, and $2 for the BOL/SB ones (I know that for the ACR/BCP it should be a little smaller because the field is 110-140 players, but considering that we don't count the added rake on any of the tournament and for the sake of easy calculation, I think it's a good approximation).
Double your approximate number of BOL/SB freerolls you've played and add that to the number of ACR/BCP and Intertops freerolls. Subtract the obtained number from the amount on dollars you've won playing those freerolls. If you obtain a positive result you are winning player, a negative result means you are a losing player, and anything close to zero makes you a break even player.

Non US players who play PS for example will need to approximate the buy in by dividing the prize amount plus 10% by the average number of players (so for a $100 freeroll with 300 entries, the imaginary buy-in would be 33 cents).

Example: If you are a CC FC regular, playing 400 ACR/BCP and Intertops freerolls and 100 BOL/SB freerolls a year, you need to make at least $600 to consider yourself a break even player, and more than $600 to consider trying buy-in MTTs without negative expectation.

PS: I came up with the above idea trying to assess my own performance, and thought it might be helpful to other fellow CC members. Please let me know what you think, and if you find it to be flawed or inaccurate don't be shy and tell me why. Good luck at the tables!

for some it may take years to develop poker character and understand in this game things could go right or wrong at the turn of one card doesn't matter what hand you have

C

CornY7Y

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won a ticket to a $ 11 tournament in a freeroll, but I haven’t won any prizes in freerolls from cardschat :)

B

bozo77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerools?there just pure gambling game, similar to roulete play or maybe slot machines