Would you fold KK pre-flop if you were on the bubble?

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yesterday in the CC Free on PS, there were 4 left for the ITM, I was short on chips, I came out with AA and I pushed all-in, a guy with a slightly smaller stack than mine called with QQ. And a Q came on the river. It's painful to lose like this, but it's part of it.

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Last night in my poker game there were 5 players left and top 4 got cash, starting at 30$ for 4th. I was playing it smart as 1 of the 5 players only had 3BB left and was folding everything to try and reach the money. the chip leader went all-in after I had limped with JJ causing everyone to fold including me, I thought I was being super cheap/smart to try and get in the money. But in the very next hand I was dealt KK and again was forced all-in by the chip leader, I wasn't good enough to fold again so I called and he had A9 off suit and hit the ace to take me out in 5th place.
It was very unfortunate do you guys think I should have folded the JJ and the KK or neither of them?
I personally think this was just very shitty luck.
The answer for me is positional as to whether to fold or go all in. either way they are the only actions at this point on the bubble

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday in the CC Free on PS, there were 4 left for the ITM, I was short on chips, I came out with AA and I pushed all-in, a guy with a slightly smaller stack than mine called with QQ. And a Q came on the river. It's painful to lose like this, but it's part of it.
You win some races and you lose some either way always take part

AlphaCentauro

AlphaCentauro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last night in my poker game there were 5 players left and top 4 got cash, starting at 30$ for 4th. I was playing it smart as 1 of the 5 players only had 3BB left and was folding everything to try and reach the money. the chip leader went all-in after I had limped with JJ causing everyone to fold including me, I thought I was being super cheap/smart to try and get in the money. But in the very next hand I was dealt KK and again was forced all-in by the chip leader, I wasn't good enough to fold again so I called and he had A9 off suit and hit the ace to take me out in 5th place.
It was very unfortunate do you guys think I should have folded the JJ and the KK or neither of them?
Almost all pairs give 50+% in equity preflop against pretty much any hand. Mathematically it doesn’t make any sense to fold either of these hands. In the situation like that I would consider the fact that high stack at the table will try to bully you too, and I would probably call both with JJ and KK. However, it all depends on how the others play. You should have had an idea of what range of hands he would do something like that…

T

Tato Ivan

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Last night I had 5 players left in my poker game, and the top 4 got money starting at $30 for the fourth. I played wisely, as 1 out of 5 players had only 3 BB left and he would discard everything to try to get to the money. The chip leader went all-in after I limped with JJ, making everyone fold, including me. But the next hand I got KK, and the chip leader made me go all-in again, I wasn't good enough to fold again, so I equalized and he had different A9s and he got ace to knock me out in 5th place.
It was so sorry guys, do you think I should have dropped JJ and KK or none of them?
Personally, I think it's just really crappy luck.

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No joke those hands are played yes or yes. as they say he who is afraid of death should not play

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not even on the bubble. This hand is very unlucky for me. There's almost always opponent with ace playing and almost always ace comes with the flop. This is strange situation .

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
one of the things that happens with pairs is that we always have the doubt that it would have happened if we had not bet everything and more being a high pair, it is difficult because many times you have to take certain risks, I have folded many times with JJ and once in a while with KK and I always think sometimes you have to do it, what would have happened if you had won with KK? We would not be here giving our opinion on this type of play, even losing we gain experience and knowledge

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It really depends on the stacks of all the players. You have given the short stacks stack as 3BB, but what about yours and everyone else's?

The situation changes dramatically if you have 3.5BB and the other 3 players have 30+BB, compared to if you and the chip leader have 30+BB and the others have less than 5BB.

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, I would not fold. I would play my KK preflop just as if they were AA.

acbossDennis

acbossDennis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I had a dealer in Tunica tell me she's seen pro's fold AA on the bubble bc of the short stacks. But just think, how many times have we seen are read where AA was cracked on the bubble are final table. Gotta say, it's hard to fold either but if your wanting to win then gotta go for it,,,

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would consider it if the stakes were right. Saying I would never do so and only play up to $6.60 online tourneys and $350 live tourney's doesn't really give me the frame of reference for what could be at stake in a bubble that offers a significant payout. But the stakes I currently play I am never folding. But wsop where bubble can be a $15k cash prize (likely only getting in through a satty), I can probably find a fold.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If you raise, if you don't, you still have to count - especially in the bubble phase - that someone will get in with an ace. So if A comes on the flop, you almost certainly have to fold KK.
But this is almost always in the deck, KK is an extremely vulnerable hand, I lost every day with KK this week.

S

stepashka321

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In first , it was so such late stage , you fold JJ in 1v1 opening, i only can understand this if it were two rises/calls before you going all-in. But just one opponent and he is leader ... man its so bad decision.
It seems you tried to play unconventional and paid the price for it... In my understanding, this is 2 times all-in without options.
You don’t need to remember about luck in poker, just forget about this termin "luck".

D

derrickros3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe that strange but if i have KK on hand i hit almost always an ace on the flop which my opponents has. So i use to play KK carefully or i fold this hand preflop.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends if you had a smaller stack call always with both hands,but I would go as far as to say that you should always call no matter the chip size.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Two days ago I busted out 1 to ITM with pocket Qs, been rivered. Few tournaments later I got pocket Ks, 2 to ITM, this time it worked.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Never he had 12 outs& hit one of them

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Folding with AA, KK, QQ preflop is always a very difficult decision regardless of the situation but on the bubble it becomes more difficult, I think that in this situation you have to analyze the amount of chips you have and if you fold kk and don't reach ITM you would be thinking KK was my chance to reach ITM and decision that you are always the right call or fold

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hi, friend!
I think a lot depends on the tournament you are participating in.
Satellite: I would fold KK since the prizes are most likely the same and it's best to just sit out the short stacks
If this is a tournament where there are prizes, then I would not miss the chance to earn chips to move up the table)
Good luck at the tables!

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I don't think I'm folding Kings for 30 bucks, nor am I limping Jacks, if I get unlucky well then I get unlucky!

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes and no. I Wouldn’t know until in the situation at the time I guess. Chip leader V #2 I think would be a hard fold.

oleg8519

oleg8519

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
если это небольшой выигрыш, то нет, но если 1000 сумма выигрыша, он будет отброшен

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Obviously yes, I shove on the bubble, playing for the min-cash is not profitable in the long run. Better bustout a couple of time, but if not I have doubled my stack and playing for the FT.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Last night, in my poker game, there were 5 players left and the first 4 got cash, starting at $30 for the 4th. I was playing smartly because 1 of the 5 players only had 3BB left and everything was retired to try to get the money. The chip leader was all-in after I had cleaned up with JJ, which caused everyone to retire, including me, I thought I was being too cheap/smart to try to make money. But in the next hand they handed me KK and again the chip leader forced me to go all-in, it wasn't good enough to retire again, so I equalized and he had A9 from another suit and he took out the ace to get me in fifth place.
It was very unfortunate, do you think I should have thrown away the JJ and the KK or neither of them?
Personally, I think this was just a piece of crap.
I understand why he lets jj go, what I don't understand is why he doesn't let go kk, you have to have the same criteria for both plays, both are premium hands, if you go in one you go in both, if you let one pass, let both go.

Folding in Poker