Would you fold KK pre-flop if you were on the bubble?

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would make the same move as you for sure, I gave up JJ is acceptable but KK has to play and let luck decide, the important thing is that you were winning pre flop so you played right, yes the variance is tough but we have to be used to it.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that its depends of a lot of things. In my opinion, is really important your stack, the stage of tournament (example: final table) and the type of tournament (sit&go, satellite or MTT) 😀

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
this happens most of the time with all players, it has happened to me too, and from the experience gained I think that playing all-in in both hands is not wrong, and in these situations where everyone wants to get into the money, we should get all-in , in the long term we will win, and in the short term we will lose due to luck.

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually fold anything like AA and KK during the big buy-in bubble, and the small buy-in games work as normal

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would be inclined to fold but compelled to play.
I have and would back my cards if i feel i have to

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the bubble of course i'll fold KK if my stack won't be big enough and i will see that i can get payzone without moves with this hand.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's many factors that would make it happen or not. If it's a small-medium payout i would go all in, but even for for big money premium hands are hard to fold

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last night in my poker game there were 5 players left and top 4 got cash, starting at 30$ for 4th. I was playing it smart as 1 of the 5 players only had 3BB left and was folding everything to try and reach the money. the chip leader went all-in after I had limped with JJ causing everyone to fold including me, I thought I was being super cheap/smart to try and get in the money. But in the very next hand I was dealt KK and again was forced all-in by the chip leader, I wasn't good enough to fold again so I called and he had A9 off suit and hit the ace to take me out in 5th place.
It was very unfortunate do you guys think I should have folded the JJ and the KK or neither of them?
I personally think this was just very shitty l

Folding any premium hand is always difficult especially as you face the bubble, however if you play the mathematical odds then KK is an overall 83% favourite pre flop, and JJ is 78%. both of these are pretty decent odds and although they won't win every time the odds are there and if played enough these hands will produce, so are you playing for the long run or just the one shot?

pasha poltava

pasha poltava

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
of course not, kings are a very strong hand that beats many

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just unlucky, what do you think, if I knew his card, went to the bank?

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never! I would rather go all in immediately.

stampide

stampide

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, but only when I was play DON and be chipleader with very big stack

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think this was just very shitty luck.
This is one of the crown examples why aggression in poker is a must.
It's possible, that you lost your JJ to, for example, pocket 3s.
What is your goal here, is it to get to ITM or win? You would play differently according to this.
There is this MTT player (forgot exact nickname), who has very low ITM and very high ROI. He plays to win.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If I had KK preflop, it depends from the situation, but I would go all in most of the times. I thnk that at the bubble you must be carefull, but if you overeact you will find yourselfe eliminated from the blinds. So I think you chose right, but you were unlucky!

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
both lines are profitable, but in your case I don't think you'll win much by calling unlike if you folded, that's why I think it would be better to fold being so close to the bubble, but still way the hand is not badly played, it is an unlucky folio for you but the variance is corrected with volume so keep playing and it will be your turn to win, good luck at the tables

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Aces and kings are a shame to fold no matter the circumstance. I would even consider queens to go all in preflop. JJ is still somewhat decent but don't inspire as much confidence. But again, it is all very situational.

When there are 5 players left, you can hardly call it a bubble. I know technically might be correct but it's not though is it?

What I'm saying is that in that particular situation I would have gone all in with any pair over 77, and surely, without a doubt with kings and jacks. Could be wrong, depending on the players involved, or could be right depending on the environment.

However, when your on the bubble and can survive it when there's 70 players left and one or two need to bubble, then I would fold even aces some percentage of time, not always.

In my opinion, in your situation, what would you risk if not a top pair? It is a tough game and a tough position to be in, but you have to take risks to reach a good spot and the risks have to be motivated by numbers.

When you play the 1000th tournament, you will not question yourself anymore. You'll just know that anything can happen but you will not doubt your decisions anymore because you know that percentage-wise, you made the correct one. When you start playing poker you doubt and blame everything, but the more practice you get, the more you stop caring about isolated spots.

Don't throw rocks at me, it's just my opinion about a simple game of cards. Just keep it simple and you'll be happier if not richer.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with JJ it was necessary to play more aggressively preflop and not limp, limping preflop is almost always a weak game, but with KK it’s just unlucky - poker can sometimes be very cruel

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once folded KK, one player goes all in and I am sure he has AA. I fold a the next guy calls. Both has AA and to my big disappointment a K is in the flop. They share the pot and I sit back with nothing. ☹️

lalinha

lalinha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I don't think I would have given up on KK either, but I believe that because I went all-in almost in a row, the other player took away faith in his hand, in general I don't like All-in pre-flop I think it's pure luck , anyone can win. When it's at the end of the tournament, most people go all-in for fear of losing their chips because they don't believe the other will call, but I believe that the ideal is to have patience and try to protect the bankroll to stay in the game.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
it depends if am short stack yes if am deep no i wouldn't fold i would call based on whos jamming

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I hate it when it happens but i always feel obligated to play when i end up with AA, KK and QQ when just outside of bubble.
I can fold JJ easier, and QQ can be let go depending on feeling but with AA and KK i will commit preflop if need be.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's an important tournament, then I'll fold KK on the bubble, and ironically, you can get to AA))

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Time after time you need to see that without clear opinions about the range, table dinamic, position, structure and every piece of the game's moving forces in together - you are getting lost. As long as surviving the bubble is giving the player a confort-zone, but we often can't play only to survive that. There would be hands, that are way too strong to fold (JJ and KK were probably both of them) so if you're scared about the outcome, or if that's a reason for it, just go all-in pre and steal the blinds at least with them.
Sometimes it's just wiser to fold great hands I agree, but you need to see that are their folds making into your stack a big harm, or is the minimum money important to you to let the higher stacks owing more parties or all of them till the bubble is over.
Once again, work on your preparation and the view on your game, maybe give yourself more time-bank in the parties when there's a harder decision.

Good luck! :)

jrportes21

jrportes21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
statistically you did the right thing, called all in, it was just bad luck.

Folding in Poker