Winning a freeroll tournament is harder than winning other types of tournaments?

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, for several reasons. First, there are to many players, so luck is a major factor. Then there are lucky, loose players that win at times... And ya don't win much for the time spent to play. Use th freerolls, to get an understanding of poker. Then deposit the minimum amount to play real poker.
Try it.... You will never wanna play for free, again. Unless, your playing free rolls here on Cardschat....

widron2s

widron2s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First 2/3 of a tournament is luck and the rest is skill after that.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There are a lot of different tournaments and there are a lot of different freerolls with the number of players varying from under 20 to several k . If the size of the field is the same I would not even think twice, because there is no way freerolls are harder than regular tournaments (some microstakes tournaments might be at the same level as freerolls though).

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree to all the above. You have to survive the jungle in freerolls and even later up to the final table you will find players that just flip a coin, meaning: they don't bet, they just go all, so at one point you have to say ok, it's you or me.
Just be the last laughing :hahaha:
Besides I can imagine there's a difference in the algorythm to make beginners happy. Give them big hands, more lucky punches, I don't know. I would do so.
Just an example: I played some twister SnG's and won a few. I GOT A PROMOTION FROM 888, 1$ BACK IN CASE YOU LOOSE!!!
Guess what, I won in two hands, not even the best ones, but nuts ;)
I leave the rest to your imagination

ELPRIIINCIPE

ELPRIIINCIPE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think it is more difficult, although I have not yet managed to win one if I have managed to reach the final table in several, I think you just have to apply your usual form of play if you know that you are doing things well there does not have to be a difference between one and the other only has to be applied.

C

Cromel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
With lots of patience and a little luck you can escape the jungle that is the beginning and middle stages of a freeroll. After that skill counts more. I'm still learning but i have observed i'm doing better if i don't rush and play strong combinations only(they win more often). Unless i'm short stacked then an all in is inevitable at a point in time.

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not say, for a long time, harder

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is hard to win such a tournament , cause imo many players play a much wider range of cards and especially way more aggressively so either they force you to fold good cards or to call in not so good situations . They need a different strategy to be won for sure , at least at the beginning of the tournament .

Trick1988

Trick1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls and Ira money are different concepts

Trick1988

Trick1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls and play money are different concepts

bmw13

bmw13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are good opportunities to start from 0 if you managed to play with caution.

Fisherman_63

Fisherman_63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls a lot of fish so they are good chances to make at least a passage in money much more

J

jokimazi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Same principle applies to low level cash games. People at freerolls dont feel as attached to the games as when there are higher stakes.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how many players are in the tournament, but it's easier to win freeroll tournament than real money tournament with same number of players.

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too many players and too many variables. Many players will call with anything because the game is free and they don't care. If you run well and even win a free roll, you would have to have gotten lucky along the way. skill alone rarely wins those games in my opinion.

TrillUziVert

TrillUziVert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of loose players in freerolls, especially towards the beginning. Just be cautious and know when to call your hands and you might get lucky. But in my experience, I can say that freerolls do tend to be harder just because of the large amount of people, usually 1500+ players for a small prize.

JeffersonJV

JeffersonJV

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't say it's harder, just that is different, you see that the player in those tournaments have nothing to lose, so they just play badly, those are the one's you should go after, they shove with a lot of trash, but a thing to keep in mind in those, is that you will get way more bad beats then you usually get on other tournaments.

C

clauder815

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have participated in several freeroll tournaments but never won any.
Are freeroll tournaments really harder to win than other tournament types?

ofcourse it is all the donks go all in with nothing and get lucky

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It takes time. I've cashed in 5 times (3 final tables) in online freerolls (Just did it a few minutes ago for the 5th.) but I have yet to win 1st prize.

Just keep pushing man.

Also look for the freerolls that pay the most, and multi-table. That's the key.

Last edited:
Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the difference is in your head, you must analyze everything, it is poker and for me it is the same

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Answer depends on the buy in... There is no difference between freerolls and some micro stakes that are less then, i would say 5$
That being said, you will see far better players, and more strategic plays in higher buy in mtts...

estefanetti

estefanetti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me is more easyiest.
The donks go all in with 10 9 / k 10 all the time .... only variance some times go luck for they

JohnnyC4ge

JohnnyC4ge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As concerns freeroll with a loooot of people (=donkyroll?), of course it is harder, coz it is higher variancy. It's easier to make good arithmetic decisions, but you will face to a lot of all in preflop situations, so...

M

mhsmeet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
not really

It's just like any other micro/mini tournament with just variance being higher, the key here is to make a decent stack and then wait for opportunity every time. Also taking into account the players who play freeroll, are mostly inexperienced or exceptionally aggressive, and make silly moves every now and then.The advantages must be taken from such players, and every now and then you can also bluff them out...