Winning a freeroll tournament is harder than winning other types of tournaments?

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players who do not invest 1 cents in the freeroll tournament have nothing to lose and they go all-in with any card and they think it might go and maybe not, and some of this are waiting to catch such players is my opinion, and when you put money in the tournament Play neatly and you are waiting for a good card and there is no desire to fly out at an early stage of the tournament, there is not a freeroll to play no harder than playing a tournament for money

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It takes more patience in freerolls since the quality of players is different, I think.

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls only seem harder to win because people just go all in with trash cards. Once you get the hang of freerolls, they actually become very easy. In my opinion freerolls are much easier to win than real money tournaments simply because people play them very differently.

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls I automatically fold thre first hand bc they always shove with junk and almost always get lucky. As a matter of fact Im in one now where two players all in one 10/Q off and the other with JJ the 10/Q wins hitting a Queen on the river....sad part is if I had called with my 8/4s I wouldve knocked them both out with trip 4s lmao...3rd hand im bb and have Q/6s against K/Qs I wouldve hit 2pair,,,lolanyway gl at the freerolls

T

tricky112

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say freeroll tournaments definitely have different personalities of betting. You'll find someone more willing to go all-in than someone who finds themselves in a $20+ buy-in tournament. So you're chances of losing in a freeroll is much more risky IMO than when you are with smarter players in real money gambling tournaments.

P

Posmann23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are played in the same way as regular tournaments, the main patience

D

didaby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing freerolls don't think that will lose money and therefore often take rash actions.I believe that to win a Freeroll...it is Important harder to pass its initial stage...

I

ianleel

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Its hard to win any tourney it makes no different

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on which tournaments compare.

The sunday million for example is harder to win than a CC freeroll but with this I do not mean that winning a freeroll is an easy task

T

thoth33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have participated in several freeroll tournaments but never won any.
Are freeroll tournaments really harder to win than other tournament types?

my opinion is that they are easier to a degree, it may be harder to cash in some because the payouts tend to favor a very small portion of the field compared to paid tournaments.
I think they're easier because like so many others have said, people that don't regularly play, or value the tournament, go crazy with their chips.
I think a good strat is to play really tight, and look for good spots to get your whole stack in pre-flop early on with the crazies and hope to hold up or spike a flop. Build a stack doing this and carry on to the middle of the tournament adjusting play according to stack sizes and player tendencies(I take notes on BCP), towards the bubble I find it easier to take chips in these by being more aggresive when folded to pre-flop by making 2.2-3.5x raises

Alex Melnik

Alex Melnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference is between a freeroll and a tournament for money. Of course, looking at what kind of buyin. If microlimit, then these are the same freerolls) Where at the beginning a bunch of phishers play bingo.

P

Pieodor3272

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Level of Difficulty of a Freeroll Tournament

I'm a live poker player and I only play freerolls, so this is my type of question. I've played over 100 freerolls, and I've won two or three and cashed in a decent amount of them. This is advice for the readers. You should shove every pocket pair early, because if you lose it doesn't really take up much of your time but if you win you will come out with a bigger stack. You're playing other people who don't care at all and will shove with any ace or even seven-deuce. Unfortunately, those players with sometimes but that's what a freeroll is.Pure madness. Good luck playing freerolls, you'll need it.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On average, freerolls bring more players than real money tournaments, but I don't think is harder to make it into the money. On the contrary, I think it's easier.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on how many players at table.

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it is harder, but not b/c of the players... it's the structure. You usually start with very little chips and a very small portion of players are paid out.

P

P3RF3CT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya cause more ppl acting stupid with all ins

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think freerolls are great practice and agree they make you a stronger player. Part of poker is dodging bullets and I think if you can make it to the end stages of a freeroll you'll have practiced that skill.

M

Machidon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls aren't harder to win than real money buy-in tournaments because your opponents haven't invested any money in them and because of this they will play carefree and unfocused ,you just have to make some different adjustments(bluff less,bet big with your better hands,try to use position as much as possible -people will make a lot of mistakes in post flop play).:deal:

V

velcorr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see a co-relation. A lot of it is variance. My friend is a terrible poker player and got super hot for a few months and won 120k on poker stars. He's already burned through all that once he wasn't 3 outing everyone all the time.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are absolutely right and you know why The simple reason that there more players many of the players tend to go all in with marginal or mediocre hands

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said I think the most important difference is players are much more conservative when they pay real money to enter a tournament, even at microstakes.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, they are easier.

but the aspect that makes freerolls far more difficult is the player base. Everybody loves freerolls, everybody want to participate. So the merciless math says, that no matter your skill level, getting to the top of 10 000 players is far harder than getting to the top of 500 player base - a tournament where you pay a buy-in.

lezhnindima

lezhnindima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls more aggressive players they have nothing to lose, my opinion because of this and it seems more difficult game

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have won few freeroll and it's true they are hard to win and luck element is very high.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think freerolls are hard, you should try the $11 Sunday Storm or $215 Sunday Million (if your bankroll permits) on pokerstars. That might give you some perspective.