Why players on the Freeroll Tournaments go All In?

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They want to either get a good stack early off a couple double ups or just go out early.
Noone wants to sit there and play in a tourny for an hour just to catch a bad beat and not even make itm.

The good news is that players with these mindsets are what make freerolls easy to beat.

wrabinho

wrabinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because its free and nobody cares .

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say , it's lack of patience. The thing is a mix of lots of facts. 1. it's free, you didn't commit anything. 2. The time playing vs the $$ doesn't compensate. 3. Simply bc they don't quite understand the freeroll dynamic.

On the CardsChat freerolls, what I'm trying to do is consider it as a normal tournament. In fact they are, we have regs and good recreational players, it's rare to see donkey moves or at least a player to repeat them.
If you make it to top 50 the game gets really really hard and the probability of someone already have notes on you and know something about your game is huge (I have notes on at least 30 players that plays the FRC regularly).

What is more important is to identify the dynamic of the tournament you're playing and take advantage on it. Adjusting your range to maniac players and to the tight ones.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thinks its the low reward vs I need a nap dynamic.

If I go All in four and five times and quad up I can sit out for an hour and nap while everyone else catches up. If I bust out I can sit out for an hour and take a nap until the next free roll starts.

Free rolls are a lot like basketball games the first 3/4 don't mean much. The last quarter and final 10% is where the money and the game actually takes place.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They aren't risking any of their own money so if they go out first hand, they don't lose any time or money. If it does pay off, they double or triple up and might then start to play slightly more seriously and pressure smaller stacks.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every player is different and everyone has a different story, but a few types really do stand out, like not too exerienced, too confident, some are just too bad at it

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's free, they have nothing to lose but time. So double up or go home.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I would say a bit of both. Don't know how else to put it,
For me personally, i go all in with high pockets (JJ+) only at the start of Freerolls
Maybe AX(J,Q,K).
In most cases i go all-in when i don't have time to play, Like busy at work or have to go urgently.
Then why enter the tournament to begin with.

:hmmmm:

noobs gonna noob
I still remember when you shoved 72os very very early, iirc it was within the first 5 hands in a CC tournament against my AA and you sucked out, you weren't a noob.

:hmmmm:

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cant figure out if you are talking trash or what?

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that they are just still some players who are just looking for a good hand and shoves Allin so as not to act as in frirolle a lot of players.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because they have a strong belief that they are Lucky and they can foresee future

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a combination of all. I will say sometimes in freerolls I will play as if it is for real money and sometimes I will go all in on the 1st hands because im on tilt or I just want to have fun and the only way im going to sit around for 7 hours to win $1 in the huge tournament fields is going to be shoving every hand. If it is for real money such as $50 or $100- it is worth hanging out and playing like it is for real. I think beginners as well as advanced players just like to shove in freerolls for fun. ITs the quick money.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of cause, this strategy could not work well if you want to play your best and win. Most of time it ain't gonna to bring you ITM. But sometimes I switch to double/nothing mode at OnDemands/ACR. I do it when a freeroll has just started and I need some break - let's say for 20 or 30 minutes - at this point I would go all-in with a decent hand. I don't want to miss this freeroll at all (just because it's free lol). If I double or triple up I just push the sitout button and go to do what I wanted, then I can return to the table and play, there still will be a playable stack and a chance to win. I return to the table and then play in usual mode. That's the main reason for me personally.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning of a freeroll tournament, I think most players go all in with high cards or a deceent pair to try to get as much chips as they can that way they can wait for good hands the rest of the tournament and if they lose they don't lose anything because the tournament is free.

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say a bit of both. Don't know how else to put it,
For me personally, i go all in with high pockets (JJ+) only at the start of Freerolls
Maybe AX(J,Q,K).
In most cases i go all-in when i don't have time to play, Like busy at work or have to go urgently.

Ok. U won this one flip, whats next? Jam again or cont playing?

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me its sort of opportunity cost. My time will be more profitable playing 4nl cash games. So I will enter a freeroll just to shove pretty much ATC so I can either treble up fairly quickly or bust out in which case I will just replace the table with another 4nl game.

If I build up a big chip stack quickly through the all ins I will play properly as I have a realistic shot at the top paying places. Playing normal poker for hours in a freeroll to win just a few pence doesnt really benefit me.

I imagine its a similar reason for most all inners, build a giant stack or bust out, and I totally agree with the logic.

pink_floyd67

pink_floyd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me it shows what a player thinks of his ability. If they believe they can’t outplay you then they will resort to all in on any 2 cards 50/50 chance. I do not believe those players get far in a 4-5 hour tournament because even if they win a few races they will loss it all before the first break.
And if you don’t have time for a long game than don’t sign up for the game!

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are players who go all in with any two cards because they have nothing invested, and if they get lucky, they can double or triple up to start....then they get really cautious once they have a good stack. I have no problem with going all in with premium hands, but it kills me to get my pocket queens beaten by 7,2 off suit.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people go all in just to get a quick lead.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
many are not beginners, I think what happens is that sometimes they register and say I do not want to play or I'm bored, or maybe they think we're going to bet everything to throw the day to someone lol
what also happens is that many think they have nothing to lose

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes when I playing freeroll and see low prizes that I go to all-in for fun with any two cards . One time this way I beated 1142 players and win 40 $ for 1 place :)

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is because it is free and they feel that they need to play a big stack to make the money. If they lose they haven't lost anything.

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are 2 types of all-in players
1) do all-in on any hand
2) do all-in for a good hand, because someone in the freeroll will pay with any hand