Why Play Tournaments?

N

Nikolai Mozgovoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
try to win mtt without upstreaks.. ROI about 40%

100% agree! ... tournaments are definitely softer (not just in your opinion).

Have u ever played mtt with rebuys for 1 cent?))) its not softer))

First there’s discipline....

Think of it in the case of what else you could have been doing with your bankroll during that 6 1/2 hours. For that whole entire 6 1/2 hours the only amount that was at risk was $2.20. Where as at a cash game your entire Bankroll could be at risk....

Practice....

We all know the place we want to end up eventually is millionaires or at least a comfortable lifestyle. How else do you attain that in poker other than tournaments. You can’t cash game your way into it. You’ll need to add tournaments to your resume to get to Daniel Negreanu status.

Payout.....

Simply put, you entered the wrong tournament! I’ve been there. I entered a tournament where I got 12 place and there were no payouts. It really depends on the tournament. I entered to pay $10 buy-in tournament. Got second place and won $147. Entered another $10 buy-in the next day, got fifth place and made $83. Remember the bigger the buyin the bigger the payout.

Good luck! 😉

nice post. but every limit got its own winners. im better playing in 2.20$))

Last edited by a moderator:
Shishkin30

Shishkin30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In MTT, you can win a lot of money)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all of the discussion folks. I'm pretty sure my next question has also been asked, but I'm not great at searching CC posts.

I've been trying out different tournaments. There are a number of blind and prize structures at Stars. Have you found one (at pokerstars) that offers the best profit potential with a reasonable blind structure? By best profit potential I mean that you don't have to get to the top three to make your time spent worthwhile - maybe the top 27 or so? I don't really want to play tourneys where I can cash after five hours with basically just getting my buy-in back. By reasonable I mean not so fast that it encourages a lot of shoving just to stay alive, but not so slow that it attracts all kinds of super-nits?

I'm particularly interested in buy-ins in the $5 - $15 range.

P

Principg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thing with mtt's is that you have to chase 1st place. Simply pay-jumps are huuuge
And also, you need to look long run there..10,100, 200 games is so low sample. That's why $/hour can't be counted for couple games
You can play 3 games, win one for 1300$ after 4 hours of play and to calculate that you make 330$ per hour..
Chasing 1st place is the thing, cause only that can make you money in a long run.

For me mtt's are much more fun than cash game.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't suppose you guys consider 3-seat Spin & Go's tourneys? They're the only non-cash game that I seem to do consistently well at.

I'm finding that the problem for me with MTTs (or even cash games that I stay in for too long) is that I tend to lose the really big hands (my AA routinely gets crushed by something else). If that happens after 5 hours I've invested a lot of time in a game where variance rules.

I'm really torn on this. I see the advantages of tourneys but do better (actually much better) at the other games that take a lot less time.

Despite what I said in an earlier post, I'm beginning to think that my temperament is best suited to hyper-turbos.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't suppose you guys consider 3-seat Spin & Go's tourneys? They're the only non-cash game that I seem to do consistently well at.

I'm finding that the problem for me with MTTs (or even cash games that I stay in for too long) is that I tend to lose the really big hands (my AA routinely gets crushed by something else). If that happens after 5 hours I've invested a lot of time in a game where variance rules.

I'm really torn on this. I see the advantages of tourneys but do better (actually much better) at the other games that take a lot less time.

Despite what I said in an earlier post, I'm beginning to think that my temperament is best suited to hyper-turbos.
You are right if you think like that you should play hypers.
Anyway the thing about mtts is that you have to play alot.. and by alot is that you will lose 80%+ of your sessions. And when you win you need to do everything to get to top 3 to make any profit.
Also if you are serious about this you need to play around 20mtts/day or more.. so you will have that one where you don't lose with AA in 30th place

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play cash games preferring Zoom cash tables at Stars.

Yesterday for a change I decided to play a tournament. It was a $2.20 buy-in that eventually had 1156 players registered (no rebuy, no re-entry, no add-on) with a total prize pool of $2,265. I played tight and got to 13th place after 6 1/2 hours. I won $14.16 which minus my $2.20 buy-in netted me $12. That's less than $2/hr.

And I was lucky enough to win most of the hands that I entered, other than the last one of course. No bad beats for a change. That's very unusual.

My question - what's the point? That's probably less than minimum wage in China.

So, other than the personal challenge, why do people play online tournaments (other than CC freerolls)? How many of the 249,550 CC members actually make more money at it than they would flipping burgers at McDonalds?

I like the comment about hitting the lottery.

But how much do you estimate you would've profited buying into a penny cash table for $2 and playing for 6 hours? Better than 5X your money ?

And...cash and tournaments are different animals. I always hearing from players that are switching from one to the other because they don't like their experience in either cash or tournies and are switching to the one they think they have more success in.

Just the time commitment is a big difference. Some people can't sit and play for 6 hours straight.

Good luck !

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right if you think like that you should play hypers.
Anyway the thing about mtts is that you have to play alot.. and by alot is that you will lose 80%+ of your sessions. And when you win you need to do everything to get to top 3 to make any profit.
Also if you are serious about this you need to play around 20mtts/day or more.. so you will have that one where you don't lose with AA in 30th place

I like the comment about hitting the lottery.

But how much do you estimate you would've profited buying into a penny cash table for $2 and playing for 6 hours? Better than 5X your money ?

And...cash and tournaments are different animals. I always hearing from players that are switching from one to the other because they don't like their experience in either cash or tournies and are switching to the one they think they have more success in.

Just the time commitment is a big difference. Some people can't sit and play for 6 hours straight.

Good luck !
All good points. I'm going to try multi-tabling MTTs exclusively for a number of hours each day and see where I am after a period of time. They're a different beast for sure.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too early to tell. So far I keep losing with the 90 percenters.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You opponents will generally be much weaker in MTTs than in cash. If you are winning at your stake, stick to grinding cash games. Personally, I've found MTTs feel like less of a grind and more fun. They are both very profitable if you put in the time. I think it's more of a personal choice than anything.

M

Mateusss0617

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments are mostly about surviving, Atleast the long ones not the hyper turbos. so u have to be patient. and notice the opponents. This is my opinion :)

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yesterday for a change I decided to play a tournament. It was a $2.20 buy-in that eventually had 1156 players registered (no rebuy, no re-entry, no add-on) with a total prize pool of $2,265. I played tight and got to 13th place after 6 1/2 hours. I won $14.16 which minus my $2.20 buy-in netted me $12. That's less than $2/hr.

And I was lucky enough to win most of the hands that I entered, other than the last one of course. No bad beats for a change. That's very unusual.

My question - what's the point? That's probably less than minimum wage in China.

So, other than the personal challenge, why do people play online tournaments (other than CC freerolls)? How many of the 249,550 CC members actually make more money at it than they would flipping burgers at McDonalds?

You can't expect a high payout when the tournament was only a 2 dollar buy in. I do agree that it sucks having a low payout after 6 and a half hours of playing. I played 6 hours once and i got less than 10 dollars.

I play tournaments because if you make a few mistakes, you can still do well in the tournament.. Money tables is fast money, fast lose and fast win.

To answer your question... everyone is different. Some people like cash tables and others like tournaments. Tournaments are about stamina and patience and survival. My advice is play a tournament where the payout is better. There a lot of tournaments that pay at least 20% of the players, I try play those.

D

diegofeijo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me i play tournament because i have big leack.. My emotional on both side. Whem i won too much and not leave the table. Whem i loose and go to another table and another. Try to recover.

And i think the most important to me i like tornament and i spent to many hours studying tournaments.

K

Kalamari

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to play tourneys profitably you aim to get into the first three spots where the chunk of the money -that will rarely happen -thats why tourneys are renowned for the variance -serious midstaks palyers have 500x the average buyin in their rolls at least-think about that!!!!

Y

yurok42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tournaments are very good for patient!

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it's also about what you have to risk.

I see your point on time, and time is precious, in fact, time is all we have in this world and spending it on 6 hour tournaments, Moody Blues has that song 22,000 days, the average life span... It could add up quickly.

I guess play in bigger tournaments? $20+ entry fee ?

That way your prize would have maybe been 10x the $140 = 6 hours for $140 = over $20 an hour. That's pay all the bills and maybe be able to afford groceries wage there at $20 + an hour.

But if one is broke, and they have time, sure why not.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most players play tournaments because the prize may be larger, to play sit and go, for example.
Some players play tournaments, and have in mind to win the first places, other places do not care, as you say, the prize is very little, and not worth it, spend 4 or 5 hours but regularly pay the first places better .
I think it profitable to play tournaments, it is better to play in tournaments with buy high, the rewards can be greater.

V

vladimir1464

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the game of tournaments differs significantly from cash games playing tournaments of course you need to get at least to the final table, in cash games I think it's all a matter of chance that players who easily give their money come across the table. Once playing a cash game at the table with an input of $ 16 one the player lost more than $ 100 in two hours. It was evident that he was in tilte. I only play pokerstars. Sorry for my English

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like more tournaments because you could make a big big win and if you really dedicate to it i mean you're a good player that usually reach ITM you make lot of min cashes and also have a big pisibility of winning big of course for this you have to be a regular player still with a nice bankroll management it is profitable I dedicate more to MTTs and also Like alot is SitNGos those are really good practice for FTs that's my point of view :D

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you just move those decimal points over two places I don't think you would be complaining about a $1200 profit off of a $220 investment when you didn't even make the final table.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you just move those decimal points over two places I don't think you would be complaining about a $1200 profit off of a $220 investment when you didn't even make the final table.
Probably true. But you have to get to the point where your bankroll will support a lot of $220 buy-ins, and I'm not there yet.

In time, I guess.

I am finding though as my tournament skills improve the variance decreases. The problem is that at the lower stakes you run into a lot of wild players. All-in every other hand means that the odds go out the window. I may have mentioned that I've played the Sunday Storm ($11 buy-in) a few times and the betting is just plain crazy. Little or no bearing on hand quality or reads on other players or pretty much anything else other than macho quotient. Kind of a caveman thing.

bdcc954baaee3946c34d514103f5e815--funny-pics-hilarious.jpg

In time ....

Last edited:
xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Discipline needed!!

So help me out here, just trying to understand. My perspective here is live play - i am a 100% tournament player. The main reasons for sticking with tournament play is the known buyin (potential loss) and there is a bit of a fear of the unknown by shifting to cash games. Call it intimidation if you will. In my local area (live), i know that if i suddenly show up at a cash table, the regulars will likely swarm and eat me alive. There could be collusion (real or imagined) as well.

I feel that in a tournament, the effects i mentioned would be minimized, if not eliminated. Obviously, why would i be intimidated in a cash game, but not in a tournament?? probably just the unknown. In my live tournaments I have cashed 18.2% of the time, which i think is fairly good (yeah i know it is about the money won, not the cash % that matters). I have tried cash game formats at low stakes on-line, but I don't believe this is indicative of the real world.

So given this flawed mindset I have, how would you suggest i try the shift from tourney to cash? I would like to give it a shot, based on everything i have heard. It seems that if i go in with a "if i lose my buy-in, i am leaving" mentality, then i am only going to be trying to play a tournament at a cash table, and this probably won't work. Should i play limit or no-limit? Again, limit has a much different strategy than no-limit (or even spread limit). In limit, it seems like you can't afford to string a bunch of losing hands together, because in limit, the pot will only be so big, and you will have a tough time making it back.

So, there i go, talking myself out of cash games again....

I you don't have the discipline to set a limit (on the amount you can afford to lose and still be happy) and then stick to it then you need to stay with tournaments where you know the maximum you could be out of pocket.

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the advantage that playing tournaments is for the amount of the pot you can win if you manage to win it, they are very profitable, especially the KO

NeZlo4

NeZlo4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well, if you didn't like playing tournaments, I don't know why you're asking. Someone like tournaments and someone they arrange.

Well, if already specifically, how many tables do you play in cash games? 2 , 5, 14?
Why playing one tournament at a time online you think that's the limit.

But for me personally, cash games (at least at low limits in which I played) are boring! In tournaments, on the contrary, there is more excitement and pleasure from the process.