Why Play Tournaments?

Awrpze

Awrpze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play whatever I feel like playing. When I play tournies, I do so because I enjoy how dynamic they are (cash games can be a bit too static sometimes). The potential rush of hitting a big score is also encouraging.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm playing in tournaments is not because I want to earn a lot. I have a job. In poker, I play for fun.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its better and more fun, but it takes tiiimmmmeeee

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like tournies. Makes me look at the long run.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are lucky and you reach the stage of the tournament where most of the prizes are located, you will play a format in which most of your opponents are either very poor or have no experience at all. In addition, they will be very overworked, and also terribly nervous, since there is decent money at stake, and thus they will be inclined to make serious mistakes. And you know that on the mistakes of your opponents and make money in poker!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
13th place is not bad !!! It is very difficult to take the first place from the first time))) tell me, if you had taken the first place in this tournament, would you also think that you played in vain for 6 hours ??? A tournament is all poker disciplines together !!! (kesh) at the beginning of the tournament - (sit-end-go) - middle of the tournament - (spin-up-go-go and heads-up) - at the end of the tournament !!! Is not it a wonderful art ??? ))) but I will not discourage you from cash games if you like this game and it brings you income, then this is your discipline !!! GOOD LUCK !!!!

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we all play to improve to be better players, because we like poker you stayed in place 13 out of 1156 players if it had been a $ 300 tournament you get a bigger pot we do not all win a good tournament sometimes it takes years until you can win a good tournament but if you are a bun player someday you will win it and you will see that it goes better than returning hamburgers in macdonald here in venezuela what you won equals more or less to the minimum salary sad but true:eek::(

Freeman748

Freeman748

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tournaments

For a long time to play in tournaments, I enjoy! But that would compete with the opponents are necessary to learn all the time.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So what's your hourly win rate at the cash tables?

P.S. If you are only making 2 bucks an hour placing in the top 1 percent in a tourney, you are playing in the wrong tourney.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So with a $2 investment & only single-tabling, how much do you think you should receive by placing in the Top 1% of the field?

Anyone playing Tournaments with 'hourly win-rate' in mind, are definitely NOT single-tabling. For micro & low stakes it is much more likely to be 10+ tournaments open at the same time, & playing 30 to 40 tourneys per day on a typical day (some are much higher volume than this... some in mid & high stakes will go with less at times, like 6 to 8 tables... 'maybe' 4 on more rare occasions).

I see many members suggest that tourneys are not worth it. I ask you.. 'Worth what?' Most are playing for entertainment (myself included in that). Tournaments give the newer player & the not so greatly skilled player a good shot at a big score. In the 'long run' it is going to be the higher skilled players who will shine but in the short run anyone can win a tournament & turn that $5 into $2,000 (or more some times). < How can that not be worth something?
(one of the games I played in the other day, I was actually down to 1/2 of a bb & fell to 2 to 3bb's a number of times (it was a fast structured game with many shortstacks in the field). I ended up final tabling it. < that's tournament play

For players who do play regularly, not all are profiting players. But for some who are, I've seen some decent profit totals for them. (case in point, the guy who took 3rd place in that $5,300 buyin, $20M gtd. on partypoker this month, had an average buyin of $11, with ~2,500 games played on Partypoker and an ROI of just over 10%.. he was up $3,500 prior to his run in the 20M & the satties leading up to it. He won his ticket from an intial $5 Satellite entry. How often do you (or does ANYONE) do that in micro/low stakes cash game? Then to win the $22, $109, $530 tickets, & ultimately the $5,300 ticket to enter the big event... ride the shortstack for hours & finally cash for over $1 Million. <<< This makes playing tournaments... 'worth it' (imo).

Here's a guy's stats that shows that micro & Low stakes tourneys are 'worth it'
With an average buyin of $10 & an ROI of +35%, this guy has profited over $100,000

My own personal experience with tournament play... just from 'micro' 'private' (forums) tournament play (excluding all regular tournaments on the sites), I made over $10,000 'profit' from 2008 to 2011, 2012 & 2013 - $8k, 2014 - $7k, 2015 - $9.9k, 2016 - $1.5k, 2017 - under $1k, 2018 - $1.7k (so far)
That's over $75,000.00 profit just from private league/ forum games (& freerolls :) ) playing for fun.
I rarely play tournaments these days but at one point they were my favorite game for sure.

Just from Cardschat games, 2012 to 2016 I profited $6,756.51 I'm not sure how much prior to 2012 although I likely have it on another older computer here somewhere but I think I did even better back then (& there were many buyin 'cash-added' tournaments back then on CC & elsewhere).

Attachments

• low mtt not worth it.jpg
    low mtt not worth it.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 16
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you check the lobbys for SnG's & see who the regulars are in the 27man, 45man games, then check to see how they're doing, it won't be uncommon to find players with $10,000 to $30,000 profit (& this is again in the 'micro' 'Low' stakes - under $10 avg. buyin).

I thought you'd know this though.... Didn't you used to work at pokerstars?

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my case I play more for the emotion, for the money the cash is easier to win as it is also easier to lose, but the tournaments are better. I always liked it. one time or another game cash game but it is only for fun not for work.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament - it's a lottery of several tens (hundreds, thousands) of participants, in which you can influence your luck on the prize, ie it's an ultimate gambling as someone said in previous posts. Accordingly, if you like to play poker while you can get enough of a big win by risk relatively little money - tournament poker - for you.

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments hurt my nervous system, so I also prefet cash :D:D

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In answer to your question...

I usually play cash games preferring Zoom cash tables at Stars.

Yesterday for a change I decided to play a tournament. It was a $2.20 buy-in that eventually had 1156 players registered (no rebuy, no re-entry, no add-on) with a total prize pool of $2,265. I played tight and got to 13th place after 6 1/2 hours. I won $14.16 which minus my $2.20 buy-in netted me $12. That's less than $2/hr.

And I was lucky enough to win most of the hands that I entered, other than the last one of course. No bad beats for a change. That's very unusual.

My question - what's the point? That's probably less than minimum wage in China.

So, other than the personal challenge, why do people play online tournaments (other than CC freerolls)? How many of the 249,550 CC members actually make more money at it than they would flipping burgers at McDonalds?

The short answer to this question is play tournaments with bigger buy-ins and you'll see the difference. Bigger buy-ins mean less registries and more money when splitting the prize pool.

So one of my earliest experiences playing poker was when I entered a freeroll, made it to third place and made $80 dollars. Fast forward years later I entered a tournament with a $10 buy-in not sure how many people played but I made like, between 5-7th place and won like another $80 dollars. Another time I entered the same type of tournament and made 2nd place and won $197 dollars. It does pay off depending on the place you make and how much your buy-ins are.

Also, I like the security of tournaments because for 6-7 hours the only money on the line; the only investment you risk losing is your buy-in. In cash games you can loose your whole entire bankroll(We've all been there). At least you know if you lost in a tournament, it was only $2.20 or $10. A good poker player can make that money back in a cash game within an hour after losing the tournament.

Don't get me wrong though. I love cash games. You can make more money in a cash game in 6 hours that in a tournament. However, it's a fact that you can LOOSE more money in a cash game than in a tournament too! Good luck!:D

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments

One bet win or lose, tournaments are a no brainer when it comes to gambling. You know your stake win or lose and have at it. It might cost you a half a day to win some serious cash or some chump change. Either way depends on how one is feeling good long day or zoom 30 minutes bank is bust. I choose tourney all day long. Capo1014

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just love the grind of mtt’s. Plus the added bonus of a bigger payday at the end of em. I just think of those min cashes as keeping me going until you hit a good one. It’s been a good year of min cashing on ACR like 50 here 150 there then last month got a w for 1100+ and a 2nd for 1200+ in 2 weeks. It gives hope there’s a chance lol.

Split

Split

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What can I say...
people play for the top spots, usually the final table
if you are not satisfied with the amount, register in the limits above!

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The grind is to hard but the results make ppl LOVE them

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are certainly lucky. You play well at cash, then you need to play cash. Tournaments provide an opportunity to advance to the final table for a big win. Good luck with the game.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Love gold coins

Y:jd4:ou can try the weekend tournaments, your 13th place would take you to a good amount of gold coins

AmidamaruRu

AmidamaruRu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to play many tournaments at the same time, in a cash game if you play 1 table, you will also earn no more than 2-3 installments per hour

Comarata3456

Comarata3456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love tournaments, they must be turbos because of the time I have to play them, I hope I have them so I would like to play some well loaded

T

Tugelcki

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello and good luck everyone! I'm new. I want to learn how to play poker and win some tournament. It doesn't matter what tournament, the most important thing is to take first place. Yes, exactly the first place, for me it will mean that I have learned to play poker. Thank you Cardschat for giving me the opportunity to learn how to play poker and be part of a larger community.