When you reach the final table. What do you think?

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I look at the stack sizes and how they are positioned around me, review the pay structure and jumps, and then think about how these two piece of information might affect play.

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
I just think i want the maximum prize i need just to survive and play carefully.

47Belarus

47Belarus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just try not to sleep. It's usually late and I'm tired and making stupid decisions (

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check out the sharkscope profiles and see who is a grinder (they will be playing as usual, with small adjustment, comfortable with FT dynamics), and who is a recreationally FT visitor ( more likely worry about pay jumps, and play tight and not willing to risk their stack on a flip). And then, I still treat this as a 9-handed S&G.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Today I had a mistake, I had QQ and near the front man KK . I Loose All Chips

I think today was not my day to win
What was your mistake?
Shoving QQ on the Final table? Not necessarily a mistake, but it depends on a number of factors.
Be careful not to be too results-oriented. It is important to make decisoins with all the information available and then make the coice that offers the greatest value.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
you should play like you played at the beginning
no matter what happens

AndryxaDovolen

AndryxaDovolen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the further, the more interesting ..

I initially followed the poker experts' recommendation that it is best to be aggressive towards your game at the final table before the final. Yes! it works!) but after some successive sorties without prizes - I wondered .. Is it necessary to do this every time? Of course, it is necessary to assess the situation .. And now a cockroach has climbed into my head *, but what if I don’t get to the top places again !? it really interferes with playing the way I play myself. How to kill this cockroach ???):eek::confused::cool:

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look to go as deep as I can, one spot at a time. No point in thinking about first when there are 8 others there. You wanna eliminate them one at a time. With each additional elimination, your payout goes up. If this means letting others take the risk, then that's even better.

Be very mindful of your stack size and which player you can pick on and who you wanna avoid unnecessary confrontation with unless you have a monster.

I have won before where I entered the final 2 down by worse than 1:10. Obviously that's not a kind of spot you shoot for, but if that's how the FT works out, that's how you gotta do battle.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I get to final table I’m like : Hell, they are so screwed,lol . Final table is my strong suit I usually place top 3 then. If you wanna get good at final table I recommend playing something like jackpots poker on AMC where it’s you vs two others. You kinda get the feeling of how Agro you need to play to stay consistent in your chip stack but not push so hard that you lose it all at once. Learn to steal a few pots but know when to go slow. It’s not a bluff anymore if you push all your chips in.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I had a mistake, I had QQ and near the front man KK . I Loose All Chips

I think today was not my day to win

I don’t think you were wrong to push with QQ, could’ve gone either way. Poker is poker. I like to take my ladies All THE Way :rolleyes: if you know what I mean :D Lol. Especially if my position is right and only one caller or pusher.

791a791

791a791

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
final table

if i made it to the final table i would be happy because i never made it this far

J

Jkj19886

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on tournament b/c some the blinds just make it a crap shoot and other tournaments you can have a stack and play aggressive ever so often.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
When i reach final table, i will chip it of course ;)

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
A beautiful feeling to have played a great tournament. I breathe deeply and continue and may the variance be with me!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All decisions now consider ICM implications and ranges reflect my stack size vs opponents.

Kompany

Kompany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually try to calm down a few moments, because the adrenaline rush of having made it here sometimes can lead to bad decisions early on... Then it's a shootout.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I love when the final table is different than all the tables I have been sitting at. It looks really impressive.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just check the basics such as position, stack sizes, info on opponents and any exploitative things I could do depending on the info at hand.

Mainly I think about how to try turn it into a top place finish

tihomalko

tihomalko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
reached it only once at ACR and finished 9, had no time to think :D

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually try to calm down a few moments, because the adrenaline rush of having made it here sometimes can lead to bad decisions early on... Then it's a shootout.

Good point that I also try to incorporate with my approach. Making a final table does feel special, because it's very difficult to do, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with feeling a sense of accomplishment - we SHOULD reward ourselves, even if it's a mental one like a back pat. But, the job's not done yet, so once you're there, like Kompany said, calm down, put those feelings aside and just focus on making good decisions.

All decisions now consider ICM implications and ranges reflect my stack size vs opponents.

100% because if you do have a big stack and you know your opponents will give in to pressure, then you're costing yourself equity by not pursuing it. Of course it's not always going to work because your opponents will have a hand to push back against.

Conversely, if you're a short stack, you're in a more defensive position, where you're trying to find spots to put your stack in to double up. Even though you'd rather be the one with the chips, you STILL have the ability to apply pressure to those who may be more about stack preservation.

All depends on tournament b/c some the blinds just make it a crap shoot and other tournaments you can have a stack and play aggressive ever so often.

Excellent point - some final tables, everyone has 15 big blinds or less (and many of those could be super short), so there's more push/folding happening here. Other final tables, you may be more deep stacked, in which case you don't need to be shoving and applying that kind of pressure on your opponents. Both are equally challenging though, and it takes making good decisions, and a little bit of luck going your way to win.

Basically, I just observe the table and see if I can pick up some tendencies or patterns in other players and try and use that to my advantage. I also try to be self-aware and not fall into patterns that others can pick up on me. That goes back to Collin's response early in the thread, "be willing to change gears".

D

dirty_nerd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When reach the final table[,] What do think?

"Let's take this thing down." I remind myself what got me to this point. Sometimes you get lucky on a hand or two and often times those spots where you got lucky are necessary for making deep runs. But I don't want to rely on getting lucky to take down a tournament. More often, being disciplined I what gets me to the final table. I try not to change my game too much. Once it's registered that I am on the final table, I try to forget it quickly and continue to play solid poker just as I had on the other tables previously.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often let other players knock themselves out. It’s a double edged sword as you can be left short stacked when heads up.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings. When I get to the final table, which happens very rarely))), I think I need to concentrate a little more and beat everyone. !! )))

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you play in a big MTT with 1,000 players, and you make the money bubble, then you can say you have played well, good enough to make a little money, then at the end of the day that is why most Poker players play, to make some money.
Making the Final Table after the bubble burst hours before, is a fantastic achievement, and in my book you are already a winner, the only question on my mind when I hit the Final Table is How Much more can I win?
But to be honest, I really do not care anymore, I have made the Final, made some money, all the rest now is just pure profit, even if I fell at the last hurdle, and went out in 2nd place I would not be too disappointed with my performance, because I can say I beat 998 players to get to 2nd place, the only real disappointment would be that the other player is holding the trophy and not me, it has nothing to do with how much more money he has won, because we both have made some money.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
when I reach the final table, I think of getting as close to the top prize as possible. if my chips are on the top half, I will challenge the small stacks.