What notes do you make during a tournament?

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If a player is on the final table, I take notes to indicate that piece of information.

B

BetterNot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
during a tournament i find it very hard to keep trackof every player at your table since they switch a lot. I usually make some small remarks but never manage to read them completely. Only those who stand out like the really aggressive ones

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an incomplete information game. The best players are those who watch their opponents, even when they are not involved in the hand, and make notes to understand their technical standards and make more accurate readings in the future.
But, it is quite common not to know what to write down. Making comments like "loose" ("hands") or "tight" (those who play a few hands, or just the best hands) will always be vague and unhelpful.
Although unusual, some recreational players vary the size of pre-flop raise by hand strength, increasing to 2x with strong hands and 3x with weak hands or vice versa.

Some of them also make bigger raises with complicated post-flop hands such as: AQ, A3, KJ, 99, 55. And smaller raises with very valuable hands like QQ, KK and AA.

In these cases, a note is worth as "3x with AK and 2x with KK".

This note may help in assessing the strength of your hand against the range (the combinations of hands that the opponent may have) already in the preflop.

That's why pros recommend keeping a standard raise size so you do not give unintentional information about the strength of your hand. This is also true for re-raises.

RAISE / FOLD WITH PRE-FLOP 10-20BBS

With 10 to 20 effective stack big blinds, several players aim to raise pre-flop bets only with a strong group of hands, especially from the starting and middle positions, as the player loses more than 10% of the stack every time. Gives up against a re-raise.

Taking advantage of this strategic pattern, some players have extended the range of open raise to steal the blinds or balance the range.

Until proven otherwise, a regular player will normally not make raises with weak hands having less than 20BBs.

If the opponent takes such actions, a note such as "raise / fold MP 13bb" will be important to adjust the range of call and re-steal against him in the future.

This content is from poker lab brazil, who wants to know more about the assunte I will leave the link below.

But after all, what notes do you make when playing, I would like to know more about you about this. I had a lot of difficulties in the beginning for notes during the game.

So, how do you make your notes?
:sorrir::)

link: //pokerlab.com.br/como-fazer-anotacoes-dos-oponentes/

Great post, dude! Thanks for sharing.

I make notes on anything unusual.
Eg. If its early in a tournament and some guy raises UTG with A9o, or if someone raise/folds off a short-stack, or if someone three-barrel bluffs on a dry board, or like you pointed out, someone changes their bet sizing based on their holding.

Anything that is not the right play in my opinion, I make a note of it.

B

Boris from Kazan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notes I do, but not always) I Think we definitely need to mark players who have a good understanding of poker, of course, and those who do not understand too, then the marking is too, and everyone is their own) a good thing for the long haul! With respect! Good luck!

N

Napkins420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been using a color code for basic game style, one color for TAG, another for LAG etc, I also make notes on anyrhing in their play that sticks out or seems exploitable, for example, there is one guy I play with often, when ever he has a real monster on the flop he will min bet the flop, min bet the turn, then bet big on River, it's like clockwork

My notes are about the only edge I have online lol

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, i have to look into someone's game for sometime, cannot make any notes on several hands or like. But have some global tips

Limpers. This category usually cannot answer to normal raise (e.g. 3-5 bb). But in line will come up more often in game with call of the bb. Poor category, i think.

Callers. They cannot make right fold decision when they already put chips in bank. So, it can be done with tight game.

Aggressives. They go all-in or make big raises much often then all others. In addition they even have very large stack ( those who not -- usually not in tourney already).

And so on. There are a lot of categories. And they can be mixed out in the same tourney.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually, I take notes whenever I am at final able. Then I tag every player there. Its good to know when I am playing the better players.

M

mauricioleit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I make my notes on the hands that I consider important of the opponent, what he does with a certain size, whether it was value or whether it was bluff. Knowing how he plays certain hands and their sizes helps to make the best decision forward.

E

evarki8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just mark the players by categorizing colors. Green=good player, red=weak player etc.

E

evarki8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, and sometimes describe the situation the opponent was in and how he/she acted. F.ex. shoved in J7 offsuit

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chips of live poker tournaments are not a "souvenir" ("Swag")

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Severe playstyle (nits, laggers, loose ag And pass, loose pass but tight agg.... So many combos) I notice the specific style of some very odd players. For others I go with the flow and play my pot odds and bet sizing optimal.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, I have the HUD to tell me what kind of player they are, but there's literally no way I could win without my notes. If i've ever played more than 50 hands with you, I have notes on you. cash and tournaments, but tournaments IMO it's very important. I want to remember things like:
chases gutshot to river
calls down A high
calls shove with top pair/mid pair
how they play the nuts? bet or c-r?
limp or raise with monsters? how much do they raise?
most times I can find some patterns

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all i tag players with a colors pretty often, when i recognize them to having some tendency at their game after like 30-50 hands. For example Red for nits, Green for Call Stations (Passive Fish), Yellow for Jackel (Aggressive Fish), Blue for TAGs (Regs or Sharks) and Purple for Monkey (player who is not really know how to play poker at all (also know as Donkey). So that's for the beginning. And it's important to recognize somebody, without going reading anything.
Second thing is i try to note rough ranges they come with aggression on preflop. If they tend to call cont. bets or not. If they tend to bluff on a river and such things.. Honestly anything what comes over the line and been done by player more than just few times is important to note. Also it's quiet smart to put a date to it (Month and Year) So you won't be fooled by too old stats, as many players tend to change/improve their game and fix their mistakes over the time.
And remember notes are King!

friend, this is the best way to play I believe.

J

Jorge Iha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very good information, thanks for the tip ...

bahajan

bahajan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good post thanks for the info , never made notes on players, I will be studying

E

EGOR77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Written notes I do not do, the only thing I do is remember who plays and who has tactics. At 888 poker, you can make notes right at the table, as for me it's convenient.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is important to put date, because you can meet with the same player after another day, and the information you had, is no longer worth, after all if he is always playing then it means that he is regular REG, and he may have evolved your game , and does not make any more gross mistakes than it did 2 months ago.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an incomplete information game. The best players are those who watch their opponents, even when they are not involved in the hand, and make notes to understand their technical standards and make more accurate readings in the future.
But, it is quite common not to know what to write down. Making comments like "loose" ("hands") or "tight" (those who play a few hands, or just the best hands) will always be vague and unhelpful.
Although unusual, some recreational players vary the size of pre-flop raise by hand strength, increasing to 2x with strong hands and 3x with weak hands or vice versa.

Some of them also make bigger raises with complicated post-flop hands such as: AQ, A3, KJ, 99, 55. And smaller raises with very valuable hands like QQ, KK and AA.

In these cases, a note is worth as "3x with AK and 2x with KK".

This note may help in assessing the strength of your hand against the range (the combinations of hands that the opponent may have) already in the preflop.

That's why pros recommend keeping a standard raise size so you do not give unintentional information about the strength of your hand. This is also true for re-raises.

RAISE / FOLD WITH PRE-FLOP 10-20BBS

With 10 to 20 effective stack big blinds, several players aim to raise pre-flop bets only with a strong group of hands, especially from the starting and middle positions, as the player loses more than 10% of the stack every time. Gives up against a re-raise.

Taking advantage of this strategic pattern, some players have extended the range of open raise to steal the blinds or balance the range.

Until proven otherwise, a regular player will normally not make raises with weak hands having less than 20BBs.

If the opponent takes such actions, a note such as "raise / fold MP 13bb" will be important to adjust the range of call and re-steal against him in the future.

This content is from poker lab brazil, who wants to know more about the assunte I will leave the link below.

But after all, what notes do you make when playing, I would like to know more about you about this. I had a lot of difficulties in the beginning for notes during the game.

So, how do you make your notes?
:sorrir::)

link: //pokerlab.com.br/como-fazer-anotacoes-dos-oponentes/

I use to end up writing a bunch of random abbreviations I wasn't sure I was even going to remember. I got lucky though, because somehow, I understand almost all of them.
This is a great article that would've helped make a lot of sense in the beginning and even now.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a great note taker anymore I use to, peeps change up how they play, I usually remember for the most if its outstanding enough.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is important to put date, because you can meet with the same player after another day, and the information you had, is no longer worth, after all if he is always playing then it means that he is regular REG, and he may have evolved your game , and does not make any more gross mistakes than it did 2 months ago.

I need to start doing this!!!!
Although, you would think they could write simple code to just time-stamp every note. That'd make it alot easier especially when multitabling since you don't want to take time critical time away from the tables. Especially when you don't type fast. :-/

D

Dmitry Ulianchenko

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's diificult to note in tournaments cuz rivals changes to often. But i make some notes like "How often does he enter the game?" or "Looking for his hands and trying to understand what type of player he is"