What notes do you make during a tournament?

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all i tag players with a colors pretty often, when i recognize them to having some tendency at their game after like 30-50 hands. For example Red for nits, Green for Call Stations (Passive Fish), Yellow for Jackel (Aggressive Fish), Blue for TAGs (Regs or Sharks) and Purple for Monkey (player who is not really know how to play poker at all (also know as Donkey). So that's for the beginning. And it's important to recognize somebody, without going reading anything.
Second thing is i try to note rough ranges they come with aggression on preflop. If they tend to call cont. bets or not. If they tend to bluff on a river and such things.. Honestly anything what comes over the line and been done by player more than just few times is important to note. Also it's quiet smart to put a date to it (Month and Year) So you won't be fooled by too old stats, as many players tend to change/improve their game and fix their mistakes over the time.
And remember notes are King!

ShinGraze

ShinGraze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Also useful to note when people change speeds, eg playing tight early then opening their range once the stacks start to dwindle relative to blinds..

Stepgov

Stepgov

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not make notes. I will use the advice.

Djmickre

Djmickre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have 3 main notes
1. Strong player
2. The weak player
3. Tight player

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
i make color labels they're very helpful and do write notes sometimes, though them to be useful you have to have a set of rules I guess and don't be lazy and it's hard to write a proper note when there's a lot of action at the tables. Some programs write down notes automatically, sometimes they are helpful as well -they give you a hint on opp's ranges.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Information about the players trying to keep in mind,it turns out in the first hours of the game,then just a blur in my head...

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always find it helpful to note which players seem like they are LAG and often border on what seems like a drunk player, because often times they are drunk or high on betting big and bluffing. There is a big difference in my mind in the way that people do all of this and deciphering what level people may be on is helpful to take advantage in later situations.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I will try to make more notes :)

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice, see that the staff liked the topic, so I'll leave it more complete, I hope it helps everyone.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3BET / FOLD PRE-FLOP WITH 20-35BBS

Poker notes of opponents
Complementing the previous concept, many poker players play unbalanced and only apply a 3-bet with this stack when they have hands of great value.
If you identify a player by applying a 3-bet and giving up against a 4-bet or giving a weak hand showdown, make a note of it as "3-bet light 24bb COxSB".
It's also worth commenting on 3-bet from the big blind position here: almost all players have an unbalanced 3-bet range in that position.
This is because it is much more convenient to defend the big with that KQs than to apply a re-raise and throw the hand out of position.
Until proven otherwise, players play unbalanced and only apply a 3-bet with very valuable hands.

RANGE DE RE-STEAL

Poker notes of opponents
You may have heard of the importance of stealing the blinds in poker.
Except that there are very aggressive players or situations where players extend even more the range of the final positions.
So how to defend yourself? With re-steal!
The re-steal is nothing more than "re-steal" this opponent, re-raising all-in with a not so strong hand, having between 10bb and 25bb, and gaining a good pot when the opponent gives up.
In micro and middle stakes tournaments, there are many players who are unaware of re-steal. When this player applies a pre-flop re-raise all-in, his range usually consists of strong hands like AT, AQ, TT, etc.
While aggressive players, besides these hands, are able to apply this play with low pairs (22, 33, 44), suited connectors (QJs, JTs) and even a weak AX suited (A2s, A3s), as these hands have Reasonable equity if the play does not work and your all-in is paid.
The most common notes I make in these situations are "wide range of re-steal" or "re-steal T9s SBxBTN".

RANGE OF ALL-IN PRE-FLOP

Poker notes of opponents
With 10 big blinds in middle position, the risk-averse player will only give all-in with a very secure range like AT +, KQ and 66+, but an aggressive player can also hit with suited connectors (98s, JTs), low pairs (22, 44) and even combinations of weak AXs, such as A2s and A4s.
If in the showdown the opponent shows an AJ, this information will be indifferent, since any player would do it with this hand, however, if it shows A3o, surely you should make a note like "all-in A3o 10bb mp" so you can adjust Your call range in the future.

POST-FLOP NOTES

Flop turn post-flop opponent notes
To understand post flop tips, it is critical to understand the concept of "bet by value."
Many players make the mistake of betting just because they think they are winning the hand, but betting represents strength, and this can make your opponent give up all the weak hands you were winning. And clearly this is not what you want!
One of our goals in poker is to keep the opponent's worst hands in the pot as they will try to win more chips.
You are "betting on value" when there are more hands you are winning than losing in the opponent's call range.
In post-flop situations, I sometimes score a whole hand that the villain has played, as long as I can interpret it in the future, and always taking into account the tips I will mention below.
The following notes may be the most important for your future decisions.

POST-FLOP BETTING SIZE

Poker notes of opponents
Professional players maintain a betting pattern in every situation to play in a balanced way.
While recreational players have distinct patterns when they have value or bluff, these players play unbalanced, betting heavily when they have strong games and making low stakes when they have weak combinations, or vice versa.
In postflop situations, I prefer to jot down a whole hand that the villain has played, like "Cbet ⅓ of pot with QJ in AQ6r" or "Cbet ¾ of pot on turn AQ65r with KQ.

POST-FLOP BETCH RANGE

Poker notes of opponents
Most players have a tendency to go the turn and control the size of the pot with medium-value hands.
For example: The flop is A62 and you saw the player checking behind with hands that are not as strong on this flop as A4 or JJ. In this case, he is likely to have a tendency to control the pot.
Another example would be when the player bets on KJ on a J74 flop, but checks behind when he hits a blank card that does not interfere with the turn and river.
Therefore, I always watch and make one-hand notes like "KJ ip cbet ½ of pot K7372r flop, ch / b turn-river vs. SB".
In this way I know that if in the future this opponent places a bet on the river he will be polarized between a very strong hand or pure bluff, since the average hands he tends to control the bets.

TRANSFORM HANDS OF VALUE IN BLUFF

Poker notes of opponents
I note if the player is able to raise with a medium-value hand to make the opponent fold hands that could be winning from him.

For example: The board is J932K and the player raises with QJ on the river.

Even with only a second pair, the raise on the river shows a lot of strength and forces an opponent to fold several hands that the player is losing, such as AA, AK, KQ, KJ and even two pairs.

Against this type of player, I will give up a doubtful bet on the turn / river to avoid raising and being uncomfortable, especially on the river.

In these players I make a note as "able to turn value into bluff".

There are players who are extremely cautious and control the pot under any circumstances, in which case a raise usually indicates a monster or a pure bluff, especially on the turn or river.

OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES

Finally, it is important to note if the player is able to press intensively on the bubble, semi-final table or final stretch.

Also, make a note if the player gives up a situation in which he should pay with any two cards per pot odds. Example: someone gives 3BB all-in and the villain gives up there in the big blind when he should pay only 2 big blinds. Against this type of opponent you will always have more fold equity in your all-ins.
Also note if the villain is a regular strong, regular weak or recreational. To do so, visit the Sharkscope website to search for player results. This information is very important to help you interpret the technical tools your opponent may have.
It is of the utmost importance to keep your attention on the table to observe your opponent's standards.
If you want to watch television, talk on whatsapp / skype or whatever, keep in mind that your profits are decreasing.
Being aware of your image at the tables comes with the experience, but the further you are in a tournament, the more important it gets and the more attention you give to the image you pass to your opponents, since they are more focused as well.

And most importantly: when making notes for opponents, use abbreviations.
This will make it easier for you both at the time of writing and at the time of reading.
The ideal is to update your notes every 6 months, as your opponents are also evolving the technical part and making adjustments in the game itself.

I hope you enjoyed this article!

This content belongs to Ramon 'PESCANCO' Sfalsin

* This article was originally published by CardPlayer Magazine.

Last edited:
C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have 3 mentl notes:
.Weak Players
2.Tight Players
3.Loose Players

but every time ,,i play very bad hand...and much pay :(....dont have discipline

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i keep my note section to write down phone numbers and wether they have nice teeth or not...lol

good post

Grinderella

Grinderella

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent thread, and very good replies. Noted.

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often write down whether he bluffs a lot, or plays only in good hands, it is difficult to make notes with only a short playing time,

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only the table software. Usually note the betting pattern preflop, continuation habit, bluffing pattern on river, as well as player type.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to know if they are fit or fold, or have stationy or aggro tendencies.

Also its good to know if they fold to min raise, or if they min raise fold, and if they do a lot of donk betting.

Stats are usually easier to identify with a hud.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do take notes on players. The more I meet the same players the more notes I make. A good reason not to show your hand, so no one can make effective notes on you.
After a bit of a lay off from playing, I noticed that I was changing my betting pattern. I have since stopped that, I was surprised that I did that. It is one of the big things I look for when I write notes.

M

myuk1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very useful information. i would like to point out tho that especially online, it is difficult to really characterize strong players as they have very strong mixups. Do you ever find that had u not put a note on someone, you would have played differently in a situation?

Marinade23

Marinade23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All this is theoretically correct. However, there is always a jackass that will ruin your entire strategy and will do all in
:congrats::congrats:Totally agree! And not only once but in almost every hand.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to have problems with this, and good to put dates, I realized accomplished, and to update when to face it again, since all are always in evolution.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:congrats::congrats:Totally agree! And not only once but in almost every hand.

Alright always have one of this, more in the long run events so have not changed your strategy very much, there is no game volume how to overcome this.

M

mrpolyglott

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lable Programm

Hey everyone! I found the idea of labling players very bright and beneficial, however I've faced a small problem. Which programm do you specifically use to mark such players and watch their statistics? I suppose none of you writes some of info given below by hand using pen or pencil?:D So, what programmes do you use to lable such players?
Thx a lot beforehand!

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hey everyone! I found the idea of labling players very bright and beneficial, however I've faced a small problem. Which programm do you specifically use to mark such players and watch their statistics? I suppose none of you writes some of info given below by hand using pen or pencil?:D So, what programmes do you use to lable such players?
Thx a lot beforehand!
there is such feature in every tracker. But the easiest way is to use the default marks that exist in any room. Stars for instance has unlimited number of colors you can use to mark players. Other rooms have at least 5 different colors. You can adjust.