Ways to stay calm during poker tournaments

Y

YouPay4MyCrack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I listen to intense techno and stay hyped up the whole time.

T

tj6073

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've found the more experience I gain the more capable I am of handling the inevitable variance. Goes with the "if you've seen one, you've seen em all" logic. also, playing within your bankroll is key in managing tilt.

J

Jason Young

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I listen to audio books especially on the 10 to 15 min levels.(though i pause freq to watch others bet r call (all in) habits!) Hope this helps it helps me stay patient and avoid coolers r needless showdows with OVER agrresive "players".

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music and coffe , winning combination for chill ( works for me ). When I have bad beat , well , just drink a little coffe and turn the volum up a little bit. Works fine for now. :smokin:

DonSifu

DonSifu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In deepstack poker, there is one consistent truth; you'll be folding a lot more than you'll be playing. So prepare yourself for that; don't get anxious because you haven't seen a hand in three orbits. Instead be 'activetly patient', which means stay patient, but remain focused on the game; watch what other players are doing, what they're betting, when they're betting, etc, and this will help pass the time between hands.
I also love to listen to music, but i try to maintain an internal dialouge with myself as to what's going on at the table, almost like i'm on TV and i'm doing commentary.
Best of luck at the tables, i hope my input helps!

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do a lot of exercise before a live tournament. This usually has me more focus because my body is more awake.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not necessarily listen to music to focus on. just play my game better alone and that no one bothered

S

satirist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am looking for a distraction, and sometimes I'm not, I like to put on either a TV show or a podcast / radio show that talks about money. Shark Tank is big for me, it makes me feel business savvy... But, realistically, if you're easily distracted, such as ADD/ADHD, perhaps classical music or ambient could be a better out.

S

satirist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, alternatively, if "nothing else works" ; ) you could try cannabis. Sometimes it helps me to be high to the point of paranoia, especially late in a freeroll, where (Insert expletive)s are still going all in preflop with low suited connectors... In a cash game or a sng, though, I don't like to be so baked that I'm scared of the odds... I play for fun mostly, though, so I balance what I do to keep steady. Drinking and smoking and playing freerolls = YOLO with 810s : )

gago980

gago980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
listen to music, drink coffee, and sometimes beer and ... :canabis: :D

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order for me to stay calm now.. I get some chips, then I decide to play spades so I do not focus on the tournament as much.. I always wonder what if so now I do not do that..

A

alexandr0302

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Few cups of coffee and you are the calmest man in the world

Prophet

Prophet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
assuming you play just one. listen some radio stream, your favorite poker podcast ;) entertained yourself. Because you might play for 10-12 hours and play just 30-40 hands.

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listen to classic music, take breaks between sessions , do not sit at the table tired, you can drink hot tea .

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I focus on trying to gain information of some sort about the players at my table out of every hand. This seems to prevent me from getting bored or antsy.

R

Retina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch videos, anime, or read a book while I play tournaments. Wait for my spots where the pot odds are great for me to see a flop cheaply, and wait for big hands. I don't feel the need or boredom to be in many hands and get involved with hard to play hands. Though I think I may be folding a bit too much. I end up outlasting a lot of the tournament all the time. But by the time I finally play a hand it's usually in a spot where I'm possibly going to double up or get out of the tournament. I do a lot of push folding when I hit 10bbs or less to try and stay alive, but other then that. I'm usually never a big stack throughout the tourny. Just someone who dwindles to the point they end up needing to shove to stay alive.

D

Dilounette

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depent of what kind of tournament you play : turbo, deep stack,... If you play turbo, you need to be more focus because you have less time before be a short stack. Si you need to be focus and you can't watch some thinks like potcast, manga,... But in deepstack you need to be more patience so that can be ok.

And the most important thinks : You have to take fresh air during the break even of you miss some hand. Don't be afraid about it.

Deep Bhavsar

Deep Bhavsar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
music, drinking water on breaks, standing from chair and roaming during breaks, refreshing, sitting in attentive position while at the table, does for me...