Ways to stay calm during poker tournaments

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking a couple minute break every 15 to 20 minutes works for me, even getting up to walk and stretch during hands you fold. I want to pay attention to how the other players are playing, but at the same time I want to be patient, focused and able to play my best game. The action is so slow on bovada and carbon that I can walk down the hall and back or stretch for 30 seconds to a minute and they are still playing the same hand. Proper chair and ergonomic set up also make me feel more relaxed. Music tends to have a domino effect on me.... if I am relaxed and in the zone music keeps me there, if I feel impatient or stressed, I usually turn the music off for 15 minutes.

H

HelioCastTCG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beer, beer, then more beer. Just shitting ya. Music is a great calmer of the mind, nothing upbeat like rap music or pop though. I've found some pretty soothing stuff to listen to just by typing ''calm music'' into YouTube. Never watch TV unless its a poker based program because distractions lead to errors. Your main focus should be the table/s which your playing, so anything that hinders that lock it off.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everyone else, I like to listen to music while I play. It helps me stay undistributed while playing. My girlfriend never stops talking when I'm playing and my brother will walk up to me every 20 minutes and be like, "Are you winning?". It gets annoying! I also like to play in low light and drink coffee or red bull. The caffeine helps me alot..

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kinda hard to keep your cool at times but music sooths me during mtts.

Slawa1986

Slawa1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I start playing an expensive tournament, then include their playlist, which consists of 8-10 favorite songs!!! I'm focused and ready to continue the game up to 5-8 hours!!! And I must say that these songs are not tired!!And there's one particular song that I include at the final table!!)))))

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes when i'm stressed or tense during poker session, I listen Solfeggio frequencies, which are said to harmonize and heal. :)

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking extra breaks helps me - say it is about 4 minutes before break time and I have a big stack I will just get up and walk around, stretch and relax that extra bit of time - In a 4 hour tourney it does really help. The other thing I am really working on is not to become too attached to your chips. Say you have 35k at the 100 200 blind level and are near the chip lead throughout tourney - but take a bad beat with 12 players left and only have 15 big blinds - it is so important to put that beat in the past immediately and try to focus on the fact that at the start of a 350 person tourney you would have been happy to be in the final 12 and just play your chips to the best of your ability.

intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find what helps me is filling any and all needs before starting to play. So I've just eaten or am not hungry, have a drink on hand, soda, water, coffee, beer, whatever you prefer, and I'm well rested. Also keeping distractions to a minimum helps, but as a stay at home parent I'm comfortable with any distractions my son brings. Keeping good brm is also a key to keeping calm, as a tourney player I stay much more calm and relaxed when I'm very well within my means as opposed to when I'm risking a little bit more than the normal. And as everyone has said, stretch for the 5 min breaks, I usually go have a cigarette, but if I don't I definitely walk around, or go to the bathroom, etc.

stephygal

stephygal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes indeed I sit out for afew hands then go back

with a vengeance when I come back. Especially when my stack is healthy..;)

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play tournaments online I like to stay calm by watching movies such as the internship, rounders, the campaign, I love watching certain movies because I focus on that look at my hand, and only get drawn in if I have a good hand and need to play... I love reading other's and what they do... great thread

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes music does the trick but then again it can completely bother me.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but the book called "Zen and the art of poker" is great for helping the poker player to realize that folding is a weapon. That patience is key. I've read this book more than once and I've had a few $10,000+ months after doing so.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you cannot sit for hours, playing close attention to everything happening, without music or booze - maybe you should not play poker. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion. Sure, stand up and/or take a short break occasionally, but you should be as attentive to the game if in a hand or not.

Either you love poker and can easily pay attention and follow the action over long periods or you cannot. If you get bored, do not play. If you cannot take the good with the bad, do not play.

Myself, I want zero distractions. Especially live. Cannot tell you how many guys playing live that I have knocked out who were zoned in their music or eating at the table. You learn that you are seeing things that they do not that can help you win! I never ever eat at a poker table. But I love it when others do!

That old saying "you cannot serve two masters" comes into play here, big time. If you want proof, go online and see how many wsop/WPT final tables you can find where someone has headphones stuck in their ears until the end. Not near as many who do not use them at the table.

Online its worse - you can have the TV on, music, you name it. But it's all a distraction.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
during the tournament you need to listen to AC DC, be sure to tightly to eat, and be especially careful, as the attention of the tournament is an integral part of the Memory Games

stephygal

stephygal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience whoa

Yes folding is such sweet sorrow..... When you folded ragolas 2 7 and the flop is 772...gggrrrs awhy?The were not even suited. It happens to me all thee timetoomany..y ugh...lmfao!:confused:

stephygal

stephygal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So now I play everything if can't beat em might as well join em....lol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you cannot sit for hours, playing close attention to everything happening, without music or booze - maybe you should not play poker. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion. Sure, stand up and/or take a short break occasionally, but you should be as attentive to the game if in a hand or not.

Either you love poker and can easily pay attention and follow the action over long periods or you cannot. If you get bored, do not play. If you cannot take the good with the bad, do not play.

Myself, I want zero distractions. Especially live. Cannot tell you how many guys playing live that I have knocked out who were zoned in their music or eating at the table. You learn that you are seeing things that they do not that can help you win! I never ever eat at a poker table. But I love it when others do!

That old saying "you cannot serve two masters" comes into play here, big time. If you want proof, go online and see how many WSOP/WPT final tables you can find where someone has headphones stuck in their ears until the end. Not near as many who do not use them at the table.

Online its worse - you can have the TV on, music, you name it. But it's all a distraction.

idk I see Phil Ivey wearing headphones most of the time when playing tournaments (not on final tables obviously... but who does?).

Thanks for this though Michael. I miss your posts :(

T

Teofealter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An ice bag to the head. Seriously!

L

lobbyrunner

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience live
smoke,drink,listen to classical music

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After few hours of poker i feel bore,so i am going to caffe sit to some of the men there and speak with him,it is very interesting to spell coffee break with somebody and speak about diferrent,then i continue to play with cold head and focus.

the_wonk

the_wonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't focus on the aspects you can't control. (e.g., i got sucked out on by A2o against my aces!)

focus on how it impacts future situations. (e.g., villain is willing to call off 20% of his chips to set-mine, or with suited connectors, etc, therefore his range will often be wide/weak so i should be raising more in position and double barreling more turns).

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looking parallel to the film or the TV series, at least until the bubble or in the money helps not to play marginalia hands, and participate in large quantities banks and economici chips. Fewer hands less crossings.

rogerdelpk

rogerdelpk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
put National geographic channel or History on TV! The other day i watched a marathon of container wars during a tournament, and kept it cool

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If during the tournament can not stay calm , this means poker is not your game and better do something else . Or change the discipline in poker on cash and SNG.