Ways to stay calm during poker tournaments

C

ChitChat5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to never play with music because I've heard it could hurt your game, but now I make sure I have some on low. When I use to sit here with nothing to do but wait for my hands, the bad ones would start to look more attractive after long periods of time with nothing to do. I found myself getting involved in things I shouldn't have on some of the dry spells.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, over thinking is a problem. The proper music can have a soothing effect, while the wrong music can be disastrous. I am never sure what the proper music is, as it seems to changed hourly.

I usually have a solitaire game going while I play tourney's. I used to try to have more poker games going, but found that stress didn't help at all. Recently WPN had enough freerolls going at one time to have a display full of tables. I found that invigorating, but I was unable to enjoy any of the games. It used to be, 8 years or so ago, that I could do that at party poker all day long. I can't do that much any more.

I had a big OLP score once, and I remember that my side game was online backgammon.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid diatractions or anything that can cause it, as for couples mostly the issues are small arguements while playing, demn that can be hard! If small arguements can't be avoides don't play at all! :D

Y

YouPay4MyCrack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to do a few things.. 1st is play poker in the background so to speak, be watching tv or cleaning or something as your main activity.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to do a few things.. 1st is play poker in the background so to speak, be watching tv or cleaning or something as your main activity.

Or...

According to your username, you do some crack.

As for what I do to keep myself calm & focused, I put myself in a trance (others may call this a "zone"). Not everyone is smart enough to know what this is or much less know how to do something like this. It's very complex (much like myself) & you have to have a clear mind & soul. Listening to specific trance & trap genre of music also helps me into such a state.

H

hulachops

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

the times when I was complete fish are over and yet from time to time I need to focus on how I am playing and why I keep making bad beats..

So I started to listen music when playing tournaments Il Divo and other interprets in serious music are helping me to wait a little and focus on the strategies of others at the table where I play and on my own game.

I am just wondering what are others doing to focus on game and nothing else - I am opened to all sort of ideas.

Thank you for your repplies, looking forward to read them :)
hi,

i use wine not loads but a few small glasses and when i get bored( you will in a long torney) i sit out and do something else till i can get my mojo working again

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching TV, drinking tea "no stress" ;) , eating cakes,...

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A great thing you can do is to leave the computer and try to relax outside and don't use electronic devices, during the tournament's break

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
need to make sure that nothing distracts you. especially if you play a few tournaments immediately. You can play for a long time in the tournament well and then suddenly make a mistake. more importantly try not to make it.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Silence is best for me, but practically never an option. So music works. usually one song on repeat for hours so my brain tunes it out and it drowns out outside noise...

After beat beat/ horrible cards, stop playing if out of tournament.... I play only one table at a time partially for this reason. If you are still around, I just take a deep breath, change the song, and try and focus on the hands ahead.

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to pretend as if it's not a big deal and losing this amount of buy-in won't hurt me and my bankroll. And basically playing tournaments within your bankroll should make you be relaxed. You sould be nervous playing 5200 buy-in tourney.

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never thought about push-ups Jack, will reconsider it as another option... Lately had really bad months - this time I was able to maintain my chromestar status by losing around 20 dollars in 3 days..

Hopefully will get better. :)

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What makes me calm during tournaments it's absolut silence.
It helps me a lot to be focus on many tables.
Sometimes music it's also a good option.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to stay calm during tournaments is to have a whole lot of them under your belt. In that way, the poker table becomes like a home away from home where you feel comfortable and ready for action. To stay calm during tournaments with high buy-ins I think it helps to have played in many high buy-in tourneys previously. Once you do that you will realize that the game is the same at all levels for the most part. .. It's your two cards versus everyone else's two cards no different than the lower buy-in tourneys.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to stay calm during tournaments is to have a whole lot of them under your belt. In that way, the poker table becomes like a home away from home where you feel comfortable and ready for action. To stay calm during tournaments with high buy-ins I think it helps to have played in many high buy-in tourneys previously. Once you do that you will realize that the game is the same at all levels for the most part. .. It's your two cards versus everyone else's two cards no different than the lower buy-in tourneys.

I agree. As soon as you sit down, flag down a waitress and get yO self some orange juice!

G

Geldi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nerves can ruin the game very quickly. How to get rid of nervous trembling? The recipe is simple and fits all: it is necessary to acquire tournament experience. I hear a lot of tennis players complain that they did not get to play through as well as in training. Probably more often heard remarks that "it was the worst tennis of my life." Good to complain about guys - are completely different things. You can train, throwing balls all day. But the ultimate goal - to play in the tournament and win! Do not get me wrong, you need to train, but only played in the tournament will help you explore different strategies, and will help to grow in the strategic plan, both offensive and defensive. Player improvement occurs in the process of acquiring tournament experience. After twelve years of participation in the competition, I rarely get nervous during the match, even if it is a responsible tournament. The excitement before the meeting is quite normal, but as soon as the first draw begins, you have to be on the field, but not with misty eyes :)

B

bifelis

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always make mental heat-up - I review some hands. During play I prefer no music as it can influence my game. When on tilt I make some short break.

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have to say marijuana seems to have a very soothing and calming quality when im playing. i HIGHly recommend it

soulkurt

soulkurt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Musica para mim não ajuda, piora :(
It's a good question, for sure, and one that crosses every poker player's thoughts from time to time.

I think that if you can look to your Real Life, you'll find cues as to what sets you off on the poker table. Just as traffic or bad drivers upset some motorists, so do the bad calls of others often affect us.

I just do the best to remind myself that I cannot control the traffic (nor the plays by others nor the cards that are dealt), and to just surrender to the process and focus on the things that I do have control over (my plays and my reactions to others' plays).

Off the tables, I participate in a lot of meditation, visualization, positive self-talk, Tai Chi, anything that resolves the wholeness of my being... as a result, I am usually quite balanced on the tables as well and don't really get affected by too much.

I did find an article which might assist you: http://www.bluff.com/magazine/make-a-point-to-stay-positive-293/

Wish you the best.

I try to do the same but often lose focus.
I will read this article now !!! Thank U!

soulkurt

soulkurt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music for me does not help, worsening :(
It's a good question, for sure, and one that crosses every poker player's thoughts from time to time.

I think that if you can look to your Real Life, you'll find cues as to what sets you off on the poker table. Just as traffic or bad drivers upset some motorists, so do the bad calls of others often affect us.

I just do the best to remind myself that I cannot control the traffic (nor the plays by others nor the cards that are dealt), and to just surrender to the process and focus on the things that I do have control over (my plays and my reactions to others' plays).

Off the tables, I participate in a lot of meditation, visualization, positive self-talk, Tai Chi, anything that resolves the wholeness of my being... as a result, I am usually quite balanced on the tables as well and don't really get affected by too much.

I did find an article which might assist you: http://www.bluff.com/magazine/make-a-point-to-stay-positive-293/

Wish you the best.

I try to do the same but often lose focus.
I will read this article now !!! Thank U!

E

ElGordoCat

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
music.. and tv.. the best things i do..

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not if there is something that makes me stay calm, i prefer to do things while playing, rather when i am in the middle phase of a tournament where the best for me is to wait and change my game if my stack is on one level well i begin to wait to bend every hand you play and if not most input to the desired level probably left out of the tournament because i do not like to wait.