Tournaments with or without rebuy

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I, personally, don't like R+A tourneys, but sometimes I play them.

how about you? any advices how many rebuys to make (some ppl are doing them till addon), is not it wasting money?

no of course not. i think many people make lots of mistakes on rebuy tournaments because they make lot of rebuys and play a very loose game and they waste lot of money on these tournaments however with a good strategy you can play a rebuy tournament without even make a rebuy or an add on. one thing you have to consider for rebuy tournaments is the amount of rebuys and add ons that you are willing to make during the game. i personally think that more than 3 rebuys and the add on isnt worth it because you are spending at least 5 times the original buy in and if you dont cashed in many of them you can go bust so you need to have at least 300 dollars if you want to play a 1 dollar rebuy tournament assuming you only make one rebuy and the add on.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
rebuys

i dont like that much the tournements with rebuys, cause you have to wait more time and the aggresive players use to make all-in several times if rebuy cost a little its ok but still you have to wait more than regular tournements :confused:

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like the idea of re-entry because someone thought unfair be eliminated and be able to play again just because you have money, it's very suicidal players at the beginning and the chance of you losing to silly hands is greater. Unfortunately satellites to tournaments with good prizes are with re-entry and I ended up getting used to the idea, but I do not re-entry tournaments.

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play tournaments without rebuys.

M

Mug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like many of you I prefer freezeout tournaments with short late registration periods. I think the game is better when players know they are limited to the chips they start with. It causes many players to minimize early risk and play a tight early game. Because of this I believe it benefits players who know how to use aggression correctly and can benefit LAG players. But many of those LAG players, are unwilling to gamble against the maniacs you find early in rebuys. It completely changes the dynamic of the game until the rebuy period ends. Making adjustments to your game is crucial.

On the other hand, I do not oppose playing in rebuys, only the act of rebuying. If you can overcome the early variance, the payouts are inflated and worth the early game inconvenience.

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It winds me up knocking somebody out just to see them pop back up... Rebuys=Zombie Poker... It's tempting to play Rebuys as the pot is effectively being swelled by Donks... But it just frustrates me having to fend off so many Fish....

Quite annoying too to see people enter near the end of late registration and shove ATC...

Yes... I do predominantly play freeze outs...

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This may seem strange to some. At least it seemed strange to me. I visited one of the sites that I used to play on regularly, but stopped when they started replacing many of their regular (freezeout) tournaments with re-entry and rebuy tourneys. I was curious to see if they had figured out yet that real poker players prefer real poker tournaments.

Instead what I found was that the only freezeout tournaments had $20, $50 and $100 buy-ins. There was one freezeout with a buy-in $2.50. You would think that, judging from he responses to this thread, that being one of the few freezeouts with an affordable buy-in on the schedule, that players would be clambering to get in. To my surprise, the tournament was cancelled, because it didn't have the minimum number of players registered by the start time. In fact only one player registered for it. Me. But what really amazed me was that there was a $3.00 R/A tourney starting at the same time. That tournament had 46 players registered prior to start time.

This makes me wonder if maybe I've got the whole thing wrong. I thought I was a real poker player. I thought that being a real poker player, I understood how real poker players thought and what real poker players wanted. But maybe I'm not a real poker player. I mean from the responses to this thread and many other threads on this site, I tend to agree with majority more often than not on matters to do with poker. But maybe we are the minority. Obviously we're not going here from every poker player in the world on any subject. But I would think that voices here would represent a good sampling of what's going on out there in the rest of the poker world. But evidence seems to point to the contrary. Here, there seems to be about a 50 to 1 consensus that poker players prefer freezeouts to rebuy/add on tournaments. However, evidence, shown by player participation on the actual poker sites, seems to demonstrate almost exactly the opposite.

Do we have it wrong? Do we not represent real poker players out there, or are they the real poker players? Is it possible that we are the minority that just doesn't get it?

Last edited:
xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like rebuy and add-ons either. It really is a crap shoot until your average stack is about twice the buy-in and that's why I normally buy in after a few levels have gone by but before the average stack is twice the buy in stack. Usually you are getting in with a lower M but if you make some early moves then you can get up to average pretty quickly. Also there are a lot of people who have bought in a few times and are playing pretty loose so there are usually still a lot of cheap chips to pick up at this level. One last advantage is that if you can read a table and see how players are playing against each other, you will know who to play and who to stay away from really fast.

Personally, I wish there were a lot more tourneys at that level that aren't RAs. I would play them a lot more. There are also some really good ones out there that I would recommend playing (and I play them often) because they are smaller tourneys, so even with the R&A's, it is the same people coming back (yes, there are also some who register late, but the majority are the ones who are super loose with their chips because they are looking to chip up fast), you can learn them and know how to play against them and get a really dominating stack early.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
those pros/players with aggressive /bullying styles love the rebuy tourneys . they can pressure you relentlessly with weak hands and draws . if they do get caught or outmaneuvered , they just reload and take another shot . previous loose play may be rewarded by looser calls from opponents the 2nd or 3rd time around . 1 real hand and they may be back to even !

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
those pros/players with aggressive /bullying styles love the rebuy tourneys . they can pressure you relentlessly with weak hands and draws . if they do get caught or outmaneuvered , they just reload and take another shot . previous loose play may be rewarded by a wider range of calls from opponents the 2nd or 3rd time around . one real hand and they may be back to even !

M

mainstream13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate it but i do play time to time lot of fiss in the game's = easy chips but the game takes longer

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider them more loose than usual. More fishes, shoving and rebuying... Sometimes I see players with 10 entries ). And if the structure is good and you like this exactly tournament, you have opportunity to continue after unlucky all-in. But I rebuy only in the beginning, if the middle stack is not over 50% than rebuy's stack.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like rebuy tournaments, and if you have many dollars are no tournaments to play them

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer without re-buys, so I risk less money.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like rebuy tournaments because play is usually very loose, I can play a bit more loose with draws and get paid off when I hit and/or get paid off against someone else with a weaker draw. It's also easier to get paid off on monster hands. It's also easy to pick up on players who play rebuys and don't want to rebuy because they'll play super passive and you can just run over them. (This is a live).

There are a few things that'll determine if I'll play a rebuy tournament:

-Starting stack and blind structure. Bigger starting stack, deeper blinds, longer blind time are all ideal as it allows you to play loose, but not where you're forced into fold/shove by blind level 4.

Example of bad: 2K starting stack, 15/30 blinds, 15 minute levels. Unlimited rebuy until 1st hour break. You're starting with 66BBs, blinds go up every rotation practically.

Example of good: 10K starting stack, blinds start at 25/50, 25 min blinds. 200 BBs deep, blinds go up ~every 2 rotations. You can fold more, play a bit selective at the start, no need to rush into things, etc.

-Look for tournaments that offer lower rebuys than the original, but for the same starting stack. Again, it depends if they stack vs blind structure is good or bad, but look at the rebuy price. If tournament A is a $50 buy-in, 5K starting stack, 25/50 blinds, 20 minute levels, and rebuy is $50 for 5K chips and tournament B is exactly the same but rebuy is $20, you're stupid for playing tournament A.

-Finally, the prize pool I'm playing for is a big factor. Always go for tournaments with a guaranteed prize pool if their stack vs blind structure is good. It's just for obvious reasons...more money if you win. These might have more players and take longer than another tournament with the same structure, but no guarantee, but the pay out makes up for it.

BuvA7

BuvA7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same here - tournaments without rebuy and addons are much better. Hate the thought that i did my job well on knocking one bad play out and he still there, pushing mad to get back chips he lost. "U only have one shot" is what appreciate and u have to use it well ;)

theboss

theboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is important in rebuy tournaments is the speed. If it is a turbo mtt with unlimited rebuys for 60 or 90 minutes then it is not worth it. Most players just rebuy and go all in every hand trying to build a stack. Regular speed mtts with 1 or 2R+1A are ok.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter you like it or not. A poker site need re-buy and add-on to accumulate more player and more prize pool. Satisfy it or don't buy-in this kind of game.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tell the truth, I very dislike endless re-buy. and many re-buyers like All-in very much. It does not matter poker skill but show you money is king.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the same. What a reason to pay several times for don't growing Gtd money?

C

colacho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens to me the same thing to you.
I do not like that kind of tournaments but from time to time participated . But I prefer without rebuy

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think rebuy tournament make people go into all in so much times in the begin because if you lose, you may rebuy. If you win, you will be playing with playes with half of your stack.

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like these tournaments. although I must admit sometimes playing them).

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of players in small buy ins play anything because they have the rebuys, rebuys is a good tournaments, because especially the money on top, rebuy will increase the money that's good, be carefull, if you hold until the add on is good option to add-on, add-on will increase your chips, but be carefull with the rebuys a lot of people do a lot of rebuys without a good bankroll managment so watch out....
Ex, if u don't add-on you'll get less chips who is bad for you, example, the add on of fpps for example the add-on wil give you normally 30k that will give an extra chips who will help a lot, but if you have a good stack you can play without rebuys and add-ons its up to you, in the high stakes a lot of people who is in 2nd place they add.on...

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In most cases I don not rebuy or add on. If the cards I had are prommissing I wiil do it!