Tournaments with rebuys - Are they worth playing?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was hating rebuys because you feel you beat people and they just come back again from the dead, like some kind of terminator :) It didn't seem fair to me. But yeah, after reading the replies here I'm changing my thinking. I guess if you go in expecting it, that changes your head - you get to be a terminator too. :)

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it interesting the MTT rebuy if by chance you come across a BadBeat and was doing well in the tournament has chance to return

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rebuy

in my mind rebuys are right things because you plays poker it is another chanse to you to be in the game.....everyone have that chance to continue their play

tbnldashik

tbnldashik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never liked tournaments with rebuys! Too long to play!

C

Chipsteal_jj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play rebuy tournaments you need to have atleast 3-4x the buy in to play with, 1,2 if you get knocked out and 1 for the addon. Otherwise your chances of winning are really low.

WaroftheGods

WaroftheGods

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The one thing about the tournaments with the unlimited rebuy option is you find a lot of players going all in every single time until they win a few like that and have built a good chip stack. It's like an all in shoot out with the option to fold and blinds and antes lol. One rebuy and add on optioned tourneys are the perfect ones for me.

MsNutHand

MsNutHand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually I do not like to play rebuy tournaments but when I play I prefer to enter in the end of late registration period and play tight in ordem to not rebuy until the moment of the add-on and then do the add-on as it is mulher more worth with a huge stack increase and in a moment and position more close to ITMs positions.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you can play good poker until the re-buy period is over. As long as there is a re-buy option you get a lot of people playing bingo not poker. They will call all ins with 9 2 off and if they catch they think they are great poker players. I don't mind the re-buys for if a donk does catch and takes all my chips I have the option to keep playing also. When the re-buys are over I think the style of play changes to look a little more like poker.:D:D

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dnt like rebuys especially when you play with low buyins like 0.55 or 1.10 cuz people play like donks and go all in every hand for me thats not poker

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And how he think to play tournaments with rebuy or not.I don't like them,there's a lot of all ins range of cards is very large.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dnt like rebuys especially when you play with low buyins like 0.55 or 1.10 cuz people play like donks and go all in every hand for me thats not poker

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Rebuy tournaments also a good variety if we can plan & manage our bankroll very well

The unlimited Rebuys are good for one reason that they increase prizepool but at the same time they increase the amount of chips in play & as well as encourage super loose style of play among players who have big bankroll

generally better strategy would be to wait for good hand and try to double or triple up and play tight till rebuys period gets over
its always better to go for 5.5$ + buy-in ones as they would attract less field & good players compared to micro ones where from very first hand everygoes all in because the buyin is low and affordable .
since its a rebuy one can easily go out of control with no.of buyins
so its always better to plan max 4-5 rebuys & 1 Addon for every tourney and leave tourney if we are not going good

The limited Rebuy & Addon would attract moctly conservative type of players and hence would be better than unlimited rebuys as people will play tight
The good strategy is to go for 2-3 rebuys & 1 addon where we can use couple of rebuys for playing LAG and accumulate chips
in early stages , if we lost then we can switch to tight play / aggressive play depending on period of tourney with last rebuy
We can use Addon if we are low in stack after rebuy period gets over

Last edited:
I

iFishForFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on your playstyle, Daniel Negreanu re-bought almost 50 times if I recall correctly for $1.000 a pop lol.

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I think they are. probably half my tourney play are rebuys. and half my winnings come from them.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Old Saying... sometimes the Bug, sometimes the Windshield.

A Re-buyer's creed might be, 'I won't rest until I'm the Windshield'... (Ahem, or go broke trying, ha ha)

But, on a more serious note, I tend to gravitate toward tournaments that move along a little faster than the typical re-buys.

M

Morly4

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to build your bankroll from $15 to $100, e.g., you have to choose 0,01/0,02 or 0,02/0,04 stakes table. Don't play high limits table with a small bankroll. It is much better to join a table with a maximum buy-in of 1/2 our than a table with minimum buy-in 1/2 eur. You should be more patient if you haven't lotted of chips, don't bluff too much or even don't do that because it is too risky for beginners.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say it depends on what you class as a "rebuy." If late registration and re registration class as a rebuy to you, then I'd say it's worth it unless you mainly play live. Tournaments that have no late/re registration, called "freezeouts" are extremely rare online and have been since I can remember really.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally rebuy tournaments do not like and try not to play. Reason one - there are players who are trying to go to Allin with bad cards (it looks like on the freerolls) to immediately increase your stack. I also do not like the addon. This is all the extra money spent in the tournament.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One strategy I do is to play a lot more hands than I would normally play in the rebuy period, but to calculate the risks and keep them under control. It makes sense to release the game mainly in final positions where you can better control the size of the pot. Following the same line you must defend the blinds against small raises, knowing that our opponents will get bogged down when they hit any piece of board, since they also think about rebuys many times.

whewhew

whewhew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on structure of a tournament. Generally on such tournaments players aren't afraid for the counters and can go to desperate acts. So it is necessary to be careful.

K

ksidrew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes they are worth it imo. you can gamble a bit more early on to try and build a big stack

D

Diesss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must have a solid bankroll management skill, why? Because you can easily lose a lot of money in the long run if you start playing looser than you should be.

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a structure you have to adopt with. In general I don't mind to play with rebuy but I don't overdo it.

People tend to get more gambling shots so you need to gamble in your advantage. Its great way to build stack.

I never make more than 4 rebuys and never when a rebuy is less than 15bb

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We need to play tournaments comfortable for yourself. Strategy game in any tournament is dependent on the specific structure of the tournament. In rebuy tournaments you need to collect an average stack before the end of the rebuy period. Then play as normal in MTT.

Tanvir Mahmud

Tanvir Mahmud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never support rebuy tournaments -_-