Tournament Bankroll Management

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is a very useful article for players who begin their careers in poker !!!

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I agree with building up the bankroll by playing freerolls. And CardsChat has amazing Freerolls.
This is especially great for beginners. This makes the game tilt-free and more enjoyable.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Some great points raised in the article and the table is a very useful visual aid for new players starting off on what stakes to play.
I think it is important to also explicitly state that you need to have the discipline to drop down in stakes if things are going poorly and not chase the losses.
Having watched a few bankroll challenges on twitch etc they always have the discipline and not let the ego affect the decision to drop back down.

kena3000

kena3000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was asking at another post when i should move to a higher level when i have busted my first bucks stake. This article makes me understand what shoul i do, and what should i have done before. Bad managment on bakrolls had made me taking a break from poker.

Stay In Your Lane."One of the most common mistakes made by new players is to jump up in stakes as soon as their bankroll gets a bump. That's the worst thing you can do."

Sure indeed this was the worst thing i have done, not once but twice. I can say this has been my baddest decisions that i have made. i guess more than on the tables.

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will try to comment, following the same structure of topics as pointed out in the article.

1) Stay in Your Lane

In principle, I agree that rushing to play more expensive tournaments when I get a boost in my bankroll, is a mistake.

However, I do not agree with the table. The author presumes that if I have a much bigger bankroll, I must also increase the % of my bankroll for a single tournament buy-in. Not correct.
In fact, if you increase the % of your bankroll that you would spend on a single tournament, you increase your variance and risk.
The % should be either the same for all bankrolls, or should gradually decrease !
(unless of course, you are clone of Dan Negreanu...)

2) Avoid Re-Buy Tournaments Like The Plague

WRONG ! The author makes the absolutely wrong assumption that I play re-buy tourneys because of the possibility to re-enter.
I play and I NEVER re-buy.
Those tournaments are much cheaper than freezouts, and in re-buy tournaments, you may find a lot of fish and donks who will make stupid "brave" calls and then will quickly re-buy...
You can exploit that and use the reckless players to grow your stack and to not fear elimination.

3) Ignore Sign-Up Bonuses

WRONG ! You should ignore scam bonuses only !
However, if a reputable poker room is offering a bonus - take it.
However, choose your bonus depending on the bankroll you intend to start with !
And don't deposit 1000 $ only to get the biggest bonus, if your skill level is for 1.10 $ tournaments !

4) Stay Off The Tilt Express

A-hahahahahaha - SPOT ON ! Just read my comment under the strategy article for Week 1 !!!!!

I said that my biggest mistake in poker is my bankroll management when I am on tilt !!!
Chasing losses, increasing buy-ins, playing more when I should just go to bed - those are all things that can make you get frustrated...

I know this... and yet, I cannot get away from it...
absoljtely superb post i agree with every part of ur point presentation & rebuys.+ add ons are a f*n joke (the brainstorn of a cabal) which only makes players make moves early on (btw i won an Xl blizzard 3 without 1 rebuy it felt great !!! thanx fir you're post brother
MF888

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never deposit, n build my bankroll by cc freeroll 4th win $ 8 : ) then I start play $1.1 MTT ! 1st week : I win $ 38 total ! 2nd week : I start playing $ 2.2 -5.5 MTT, + $ 95 3 rd week : working now
wow! stay in ur lane which is symbolic coz ur on a plane absolutely flying, love & luck brother

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
that guide of buy-ins is very helpfull, i tend to risk my bankroll in order to incease it small buy-ins means small profit...about rebuy tournaments i am not totaly agree, if some player have a decent bankroll and he is good at this tourneys 2-4 rebuys wont hurt his bankroll .Bonuses are great depends on how much and if you can afford it ,freerolls are great for bankroll indeed .

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don’t have to avoid rebuy or reentry tournaments, you just need to understand how to approach them. When you are about to enter a rebuy or reentry you should decide before you start how many times you will rebuy and in the case of rebuy tournaments if you are going to add on. This will allow you stay with in your bankroll and not make decisions based on emotion.

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EVERYTHING should scale with your risk of ruin when it comes to BRM. if dusting off 1k in buyins doesnt take food off the table or cut the lights out, go for it.

miric007

miric007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay in your lane I just read what my problem is. I will try to adhere to the helpful advice I have read. I do not play tournaments where re-buy is available so I can give this advice completely. Cardschat has the best freeroll tournament to start deposit. Control emotions can only be professional players

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest mistake is that I do not even want to save BRM.
Usually when I go $ 100 I play strong tournaments over $ 7.5 to $ 20 and quickly starts to get nervous when I start losing
I also had over $ 300 on BRM, but then the game was relaxed and without concentration, so in less than 2 weeks I was at the beginning of $ 0 :)
I think I will not repeat the mistake the next time and that I will install the game plan and maybe I can get 1K to BRM.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bankroll management is the main thing that a good poker player should be able to do. You may not be able to count outs and odds, you can bluff badly and not be able to play some kinds of poker (Razz or Omaha), but if you do not know how to manage your money correctly, you will always lose.
The game "not according to the bacrolus" is the main problem of all new players. This is how the significant sums are lost, which the sharks of this business feed.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
#StayInLane

very good read, lots of good info. TILT is my normal game how to remove tilt from it should be the next game plan :)

E

effece

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started, like many, playing only free, collecting penny by penny, but I could never, or rather I'm not interested, keep the ratio of% between the bank and the buy of an MTT. Many times I have invested the last dollar in a tournament, with different results. This has tortured me for a long time, believing that the basis of my failure was because I could not manage the bank. I usually play a lot of satellites to get access to medium or high buy mtt, especially when there are events. but finally I understood, as I post a partner here in CC, I do not have a bank, just a poker budget.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good article, but I just think that the percentages that are involved in the buy in tournaments facing your bankroll capacity are way to heavy for that money in account.
For example in my case, I am in the 100 - 200$ bankroll and I only play, at maximum, 2,2$, rarely at 3,3$ and I think that an over the 5$ buy in will put me in disgrace in a couple of days, because I have and 28% of ITM and a bad beat in a row could blow my bankroll management.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
First off I would like say that great players tend to have bad bankroll management. You have to take risks inorder to be great. Don't know if anyone agrees with this.

That tournament buyin guidline is a bit on the high side. I recomend 1% or 100 buyin.

Rebuy tournaments are a special kind of tournament they require certain strategy and discipline. The lure that the article discusses applies to beginners and not neccesarily only persons with small rolls. Quick side note one of the biggest tournament I won was a rebuy and I bought in maybe 15 times or more.

Agreed most bonus offers will be hard for MTT players to clear. But if they are free it is always worth taking if you planned on playing anyway.

Finally tilt affects us all. There are also different degrees of tilt. Some easier to get off than others. The key is controlling it and knowning when to walk away from game. Breaks are crucial but sometimes a complete walk away from game for few hours which is most common tilt counter is not possible as we might still be in tornament. Smaller breaks may work like sitting out an orbit and doing some sort of phsical activity like stretch or go for a run, grab some water or eat a snack I like chocolate. Or something as simple as taking a deep breath and clearing your head and remembering your game strategy will help. Shake it off and re-focus should be your thinking.

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the most important things at the beginning of poker is a bankroll suited to your needs, if you are a player who only plays for fun I think you should not make a deposit but play freeroll and start making a good bank, and for players who dedicate more to poker I think the first thing is a deposit and start playing micro tournaments or sit & go of people 9 or 18 and make a game plan and see how many hours you can dedicate it, but it all depends on how you will see poker if you take it seriously or just for fun ...

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats a very fine guide, which if one sticks to, can yield some good results. I struggle with bankroll size, thus I usually play underrolled, but I got used to it. Nevertheless, I hope I will get to a bankroll which will allow me to play on the good bankroll managment side. Note that high stakes players avoid bankroll managment rules, many of them told so in interviews. Their bankroll is their whole net worth, our, amateur bankroll should be money put aside that we can safely loose.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming player skills are about the same:
- If a MTT only has a good pay for 1% of the players, you should never spend more than 1% of your bankroll on this MTT.
- As others have said already: when your bankroll increases, the 1% from above should go down, not up as suggested in the paper!

In case you just want to have fun spending money: no comment
In case you want to be profitabel:
- start with freerolls; if you're good, you win, if your not yet good enough: you had the fun without cost, but if you spend 10k to go to the carribean PCA, you'll very likely loose the 10k on the first day
- if you self assessment is very good you might deposit and use the bonus to speed up the earnings, but I'm affraid many are overzealous and loose the bonus+deposit very fast.
- beware of a learning curve (initially more losing than winning) every time your switch the game, another reason to reduce the % of bankroll.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
Overall this is a great article for beginners but I definitely disagree with the notion that as your bankroll increases that you can increase the % of your bankroll to play in a tournament. Like cash, you need to move up in stakes carefully and starting at $100 and sticking to a 3% of roll strategy as a max buy-in makes perfect logical sense. However, once you start growing beyond $100 you shouldn't auto-move to 5% of your roll. As the buy-in increases, skill increases and unless you have honed your skill you shouldn't be so quick to move up. i'd rather use a % of cashing as a way to gauge if you're ready to move up. Once you start increasing your cash rate, then you should look to increasing the buy-in of tournament you're willing to play. You'll go broke quite quickly if you jump too fast.

Re-buy tournaments, like any other variant of poker, requires you to understand how these work, what the issues are, and how to adjust the ranges you assign your opponents to properly play them. In fact, they may be softer because of the looser play in them. But only if you adjust for the parameters of the rebuys. Agreed that they can definitely suck your bankroll dry - which is why you need to lower the max buy-in to play them.

Deposit bonuses are fine to play and take advantage of provided you're disciplined enough to not become obsessed with clearing the bonus.

The tilt comment is a good one however I'll throw this wrinkle. IF you lose a big pot to a bad hand, walking away might be a good thing but only if you're above 15BB. If you're below that, you need to play through to avoid going too short.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to keep your bankroll you should play with tournaments that are in it is to have at least 100 buy in the tournament you want to play

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
300-400 buy-ins for mtt is enough. And of course a lot to play

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started, like many, playing only free, collecting penny by penny, but I could never, or rather I'm not interested, keep the ratio of% between the bank and the buy of an MTT. Many times I have invested the last dollar in a tournament, with different results. This has tortured me for a long time, believing that the basis of my failure was because I could not manage the bank. I usually play a lot of satellites to get access to medium or high buy mtt, especially when there are events. but finally I understood, as I post a partner here in CC, I do not have a bank, just a poker budget.
I like your differentiation between 'play for fun' and 'play to win'.
When playing for fun, you have a budget, make sure you never deposit more than you can afford.
When playing to win, BRM is essential, make sure that the risk of loosing the BR is 0%.

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please take down this article. The way it approaches bankroll management is completely wrong. It will likely detour new poker players from a profitable poker career, as it states that you can play tournaments up to 15% of your bankroll if you have $500. In fact, this figure is approximately tenfold of what the maximum BI you should play in. $7.50 sounds about right, not $75. The average buy-in should be lower, probably about $3-$4.

As one's bankroll increases, they should have more conservative bankroll management. Players at higher buy-in levels are on average better players. This means that a large edge in the $1 games might translate into a very small, or non-existent edge in $7.50 games. Having more conservative bankroll management helps makeup for the lost edge. However, if your a losing player, you will likely still lose all your bankroll with tight bankroll management, but you will lose it more slowly. Losing players and playes just starting out should start winning on sites that only offer play money games, then play freerolls for real money. Then, after they've made a decent bankroll, they should grind the smallest real money games with good bankroll management, and then progress from there. Most importantly, they should be studying to become a better poker player!

This is just my opinion!

Hackerosito

Hackerosito

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good this article, and very useful, respect the levels, administration and be disciplined in knowing what you are going to invest, I liked the point of the MTT of repurchase, it is true, they are the temptation of the devil. I, in particular, abandoned them a long time ago.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management