Tournament Bankroll Management

Fordeverest

Fordeverest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Currently I play at a micro or low bet since I started playing poker and I still have to develop a lot. For this, PS helped me with the promotion of "bankroll starters". I got 100% today and got a total of 20 coupons I can call tournaments. CC also makes it very easy for those who spend minimal money as they are getting started.

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once your ITM (In the Money) rate gets to be 20-25%, then you can consider moving up a level.
This is an erroneous statement, and he does not need blind adherence.
Having an ITM of 20-15%, you will lose money if you are always only at the bottom of the list of prizes. There can be no question of moving to a higher limit.
It is necessary to take into account the profitability of investments - ROI.
It is believed that ROI is 10-15% good, 25-30% and higher is better and better than most MTT players.
Do not be deceived, relying on a small number of tournaments. One big victory in the tournament, as a rule, can greatly overestimate the ROI.
Do not make hasty conclusions after 10 or 20 tournaments. For more or less adequate analysis, you will need at least 1000 tournament results

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please take down this article. The way it approaches bankroll management is completely wrong.

The article does not even mention that when choosing a BRM, it is necessary to take into account the structure of the tournament. If you do not, the loss of money is inevitable.

This is just my opinion!

fabiancampos

fabiancampos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BankRoll luck

Managing your bankroll depends on the gaming needs you have. In spite of studying so much poker, its variances and type of limits next to its levels, I have not been successful. However, I am sure that the management should be in increasing order, in my case there are times that I have made $ 50, pure freeroll .. but I do not have an adequate management, when I see some bankroll admission to $ 5 tournaments or $ 10 and quickly fall by the variance of the cards, that being a program punishes you if you are in disarray with the law 100 times your ticket is to say that if I have a $ 500 account it is possible to play with good variance a tournament of $ 5 average .

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For me, poker is a hobby.
I like how it's explained in the beginning of the article.
Sometimes I don't respect my bankroll.
I should stick to the guide of tournament buy - inns.
It is so true that in general, sign-up bonus is not so good at all.

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the most difficult tasks for beginners in the game, knowing how to keep the limits of values, it is always good to read articles like this ... are of great value to many.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read that article few times before and it gave me a clear general idea about bankroll management because before I didn't know what tournament should I play ? what my range of buy-ins should be ?
I was really confused but at the moment when I play I'm based on that article and the right bankroll management and I think BRM is the most important thing in poker .

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As with most of the comments, I agree with some of the author's suggestions, and some, I don't. I have been guilty in the past of increasing limits as I win some. Usually this breaks me in a short amount of time and I have to start over.
I do play tourneys with rebuys and add-ons, but I always play only my original buy-in. I agree with the post that this type of tourney invites overly aggressive play at the start....because of the rebuys. This is a time to take advantage of the "gamblers" playing marginal hands recklessly.
Avoiding tilt? That's the key, and it is easier said than done.

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think the article presented a solid agenda for building a bankroll for online poker tournaments, or any poker for that matter. It also pointed out many chip drain holes and how to avoid them. If you follow this advise your bankroll will build. ;)

Considering poker like a hobby which is supposed to be something you enjoy doing for fun, not profit, is solid advise. And when we make a little profit - the hobby becomes even more enjoyable. But if you find yourself screaming at your PC monitor you've probably extended your play beyond your bankrolls enjoyable limit. :cool:

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everybody speak about bankroll management or BRM,whatever.But recently I read an article where the author tried to describe the method of businness plan playing poker.In general it is the same as BRM but the difference is our attitude to what we are doing playing poker.He noticed that every great player paly poker,counts his money as it is his own businness.In general its the same point but different terms bring different responcibility I guess!

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are my thoughts about that article:

1) Stay In Your Line.
Well i'm totally agreed with a statement, that Bankroll Management is most important concept in poker career of anyone. And every one who takes poker seriously and not want just pay some money for having some fun, should strictly stick to it. However excuse me for the critics, but what this "BRM table" is all about?!
It says, that we shall invest 3% of bankroll with $100 or under, 5% with BR of $100-$200, 10% with BR of $200-$500 and 15% with >$500 ! Eh, what the..?! What's the point of that we are increasing percentage of investments for each tournament, as we have bigger bankroll? Is that so we gonna waste our money quickly on higher stakes and come back to micro limit hard grinding again? Sorry, but it makes no other sense to me. I know some people choose more conservative BRM and the other, who are more eager to climb up faster with more risks choose more aggressive BRM. But in my opinion, as you figured out for yourself, how your BRM would look like, you have to stick to it on EVERY limit and not making it more and more aggressive with each next level. 15%?! That's insanity for me. Even for SNG-Tournaments, where you tend to use more aggressive BRM in comparison to MTT-Tournaments. Because you are obviously more often in the money.
I would recommend to start with 1% of Bankroll for MTT-Tournaments and with 3% for SNG-Tournaments to anyone who is new to poker and i wouldn't go over 5% for MTT-Tournaments until you have such a huge Bankroll, you can live of it. Just keep in mind there are the Downswings existing and you possibly could loose like 20 MTT-Tournaments after each other, even if you are damn good tournament player. That's why i think that BRM-Table is nonsense to me.

2) Avoid Re-Buy Tournaments Like The Plague
I'm agreed with that part totally. But have to add to that - playing re-buy tournaments is okay if you are keeping yourself from re-buying. As it said in those article, you will get the best price only for buy-in and never for re-buy. So let the other dummies doing that mistake investing more money in prize pool and if you got busted, just let it go and start another game, as it were some Freeze Out tournament. That's how i do myself.

3) Ignore Sign-Up Bonuses
I should say to this part of article - yes and no. Yes, it is not very easy to fulfill the complete deposit bonus, if you play only tournaments. And yes it's much easier for cash players indeed. But nobody forces you to deposit $100, as in those example, i would do something like $20-$30 and still stick to my limits, considering my whole Bankroll. And the most offers about deposit bonus are paying off with some parts like 5% of whole bonus. So even if you don't get paid the whole bonus at the end, at least it's very possible to get paid at least half of it. But i do recommend to plan such things carefully and make such deposits with bonus at the time, where you know next month or two i have a lot of time to play poker and if not, maybe wait up till you will be more free for playing poker. As you need to play a lot to get something paid back from it.

4) Stay Off The Tilt Express
I'm totally agreed with this one! I've got even not much to add to this, except one - possibility of tilt is one of the reasons why i do prefer to play many tables at the same time. So that if some bad beats happen, i don't fix on it and don't have much time reflecting about it, as i have to play many other hands on another tables. Also if i loose one or two games it doesn't bother so much, as i'm winning two three another games. Would be different if i would play just one or two tables. I'm not appealing everyone to do the same, but it just works for me better that way.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider that the wors mistake I always do is as the article says to jump into cash tournaments everytime I win something. For example, every time I get $11 or more, I like to pay for a sunday storm entrance at PS believeng that I will be a millionaire in no time haha :D but it is a crazy thing to do, now I now that it is step by step until I get the knowledge and hability to handle a big tournament and also the patience it is required to play 10-12 hour in an online tournament of this magnitude.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As always some really good advice in this article which will assist people to appreciate bankroll management.

I particularly support the aspect of keeping away from TILT! Guys! TILT is in your head! If you cant control it, learn to at least recognise it and start to learn to manage it! You'll know when it happens because the, 'I dont give a damn' attitude or response will manifest itself and appear right in front of you. Keep an eye out for this and when it happens, pull the plug. Turn the PC or tablet off and go and do something else. Walk the dog, watch some sport, have a few beers and find yourself a new partner....erm...maybe not the last two at this cos you are still suffering tilt and who knows where that could end up!

The stay in lane aspect is possible a little suspect, as I always considered that your investment into play should remain at a fairly static level, if you choose 3%, stay at 3%. If you choose 1%, stay there! Dont increase cos it will more quickly decrease when you hit a bad patch.

As they say, look after the pennies and the pounds (or dollars) will look after themselves!

BB

elton015

elton015

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is our strategy article discussion for week 2 in January forum challenge. All members feel free to participate even if you are not participating in the challenge!

Read this article and let's discuss it:

Tournament Bankroll Management

This is one of the first things you need to plan when you start playing tournaments. How much is your bankroll and what stakes should you be playing?

How can you get a bankroll started - do you have funds you can deposit to get you started? If not you can patiently play freerolls until you get enough to get started on some real money tournaments.
That´s exactly what I´m doing,I´m just playing freerools to try to have a good bankrool.I `m poor and my financial condition is limited so CC and anothers freerools are helping me ,but the CC freerool is the best freerool to play because there are skill players that don´t play bingo.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started playing poker I did not even know the word - Bankroll Managed, I started with Cash games, I made a $ 5 deposit and started playing.
I was very lucky that I managed to win from $ 5 to $ 30. And only then I learned that to play poker I need Bankroll Management.
Now I think that at least 20 buy-ins are needed for your limit (although I think that 40 buy-ins already need to be done), it will help to survive the Down Streak and reduce the dissipression

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think bankroll <50$ will be good choice and the stake 1$-5$ for tournament entry is max because lot of people playing tournament's where stake is less than 1$ and a lot of them play "all-in" multiple times with random hands..

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
When I started in poker I made my first deposits and as every rookie I lost it, then I dedicated myself to the bankroll and I could have my bankroll again. I have had to withdraw and I have created my bankroll again and so I go little by little. You have to follow the advice in this article and do not make the mistake of leveling up I just won a good tournament and stay in my lane until I have a strong bankroll; avoid repurchase tournaments and ignore the registration bonuses and learn to handle my emotions after a bad blow

M

Mckee2300

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so if i deposit 25 on a site.. which tournaments should i play. i dont realy care for cash

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Avoid Re-Buy Tournaments Like The Plague

I generally agree with this statement, with a couple of notable exceptions. I would say "avoid rebuying in rebuy tournaments like the plague" and "avoid add-ons that aren't absolutely necessary".

You can still play RA tournaments, just don't spend extra money in them. I take it as an added challenge to win without having spent as much as most others. Add-ons can work if they are a "good deal" - if the cost of the add-on is equal to a rebuy and pulls you out of a precarious chip position with the money in sight.

Ignore Sign-Up Bonuses
Boy am I good at this one! I ignored all my 888 bonuses because I didn't recognize them in the lobby, and they all expired in 24 hours - don't do this. If you qualify for a bonus, play the hell out of it. Just forget about rolling over money for bonus points.

Last edited:
John Lee02

John Lee02

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I typically like to keep my buy-in no more than 5% of my bankroll , so as my winnings build my bankroll so does my buy-in increase. Even less for rebuy tournaments

Mundug

Mundug

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ihave 2 usd so i play 0.02 hehe. sometimes 0.10 :D

grogrich

grogrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am more of a recreational player altho i play almost everyday, im hooked. I im able to deposit and i often gain many entries to larger games via sattalites .Most games i will only use 3-11 dollar range for tournys mostly because of the larger payouts.Playing for some time now i have found if i have a long run ,i rather it pay me well too .

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management