Tournament Bankroll Management

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As one of our colleagues said, it's a special article for those who start in poker, something I never did.
in my case after easily losing the money deposited i choose to play freerolls, then with the money earned I try to reproduce it in tournaments, which is not easy at all.
anyway a good article to keep in mind to manage the bank

J

jignesh_cse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like freerolls.........

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your comment made me re-think of all my mistakes the best advices are in your comments thx for sharing now I know which table I should join! Get me a free seat next to you!

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I think we have all the right advises mentioned in previous threads, but!In order to manage your BR correctly, you have to set your goals in advance, along with the limits, type of games playing, etc. And strictly following it wo any exception!
Once you move a step to the left or to the right, and you are screwed up :p
Yeah, it could be tiring, boring, not returning much enjoy - but it is how it should works out ...

As regarding the starting bankroll, better wait to accumulate more freeroll winnings, before setting your next goals :top:

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm making my bankroll with freerolls.
In order to play tournaments, need to collect the necessary bankroll and play buy-ins 10% of the bankroll.

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think to avoid bonuses is not the best idea. I think every player needs to approach the choice of optimal bankroll management himself. To do this, you will have to take into account the dynamics of the chosen game, the size of the field and you need to take into account your skill

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I liked the advice about the activation of the time-bank. Sometimes, to distract myself, I went off to wash my face with cold water, and included a sit-out. Cheerfulness was often replaced by irritation after discovering that I missed the nut hand. Next time I will try to activate the time bank. After all, when I use it for its intended purpose, it only hinders me.

C

cardshark777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what people do wrong with bank roll building is you only should play 2% of your roll the entire day. People will do it for just 1 tournament 1 to 2% for a single tourney instead of for the entire day. And what ends up happening is they enter a bunch of tournaments say they have 5k. 1% would be 50 bucks but they end rebuying back in the same tournament 4 times which cost them 200 bucks. They they enter some other tournes that are 20 to 30 dollars rebuy in those 3 or 4 times cost them another 150 +200 they spent in reality 350 dollars that day which ends up being 7% of their roll. In reality you want to spend 2% of your entire roll for that day. So say that day you got all day and night to play thats 100 bucks you can buy into tournies with so maybe you entire 20 cheap tournaments and grind. Or maybe that day your busy all day and you only got time for 1 tourney and you see 100 dollar tourney you want to get in and you enter that. Or you got half a day and you get in 50 and 30 and 20 dollar tourney. Then you only spend 2% of your entire roll that day. That is the proper way to do it. If you do that you will never go broke unless your the worst player ever.

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls all round for me & knockout bounty games with a buy in within 10% of my bankroll which is not too shabby at the moment

Know when to Fold'em

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nah im getting by my friend & it took a lot a grinding to get my bankroll where it is & i bet a lot on football & PDC darts where i do well here & there ;)

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for making this thread. I’ve received a lot of valuable insight to how others manage their bankroll. So happy I found this forum!!

oneloy

oneloy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This article is interesting and very useful! I will try to adhere to ...

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks you for this article on bankroll management. The article was well written and very informative. I of all people really should be taking this advice. I sometimes will sit down at cash games with 100% of my bankroll. Its hard to play lower stakes when you have the money in your account. I will definitely take this advice seriously and will try my best to be patient in the lower stakes tournaments. Its just hard when your also trying to deal with time management.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should start out by playing small stakes and working your way up from there. I'd recommend that you play four tournaments at a time(you can play more if your used to it) that way you won't go as many days/time without cashing. The more volume you can put in without going overboard is definitely helpful. When it comes to bankroll management, you should stick to about 50 buyins(needing to have that much to play that level) for the smaller buyin tournaments and if you want to move up in stakes I would up your buyins to 75.

If you want to be on the safeside and not risk digging yourself a hole that can happen at times with variance it is best to stay on the conservative side. The bigger the fields, the less risk you want to take in terms with how much of your bankroll you want to risk. I'd recommend if you want to play the higher buyin tournaments but don't have a big bankroll, to go ahead and try satellite into those tournaments. It makes it that much nicer when you go ahead and cash in that tournament with the bigger return from having bought in at a smaller amount.

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i built my bankroll through freerolls & tournamenti tickets, for now i only gamble with 10 or 15% of my bankroll and iv'e grinded up to near $200!! im not saying ive had no downturns & ive made nearly $50 playing live blackjack & roulette

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those buy-in ranges actually seem pretty aggressive to me. I thought sticking to 1-2% of bankroll was the safe way to go(although that may not be possible with a very small bankroll).

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management