ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most importantly bankroll management.
You must study at least 20 or 30 minutes a day, analyze your most important hands, studying mistakes you made, that way going to improve.
On youtube you can see many videos of professional players, teaching to play tournaments and sits and go.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a little bit of conservative approach. Example: you open 88 and a loose player shoves for 1/2 of your stack from BB
Regularly that’s a snap call but you can fold it and attack blinds
Do NOT over adjust your playing style.
Also, you can play lower stacks till your bad run ends. Bad runs are a part of Poker. You need to learn to deal with it buddy. It sucks really hard but you can’t do much about it

cskwin

cskwin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there, at least one person per day writes a post on this topic on a Poker forum. I think what often happens is that people have the wrong idea about how profitable Poker is. You are playing a very difficult game where the biggest winners are only making a modest profit margin. This margin is a lot smaller than most people realise. The sickest pros have an average winrate of somewhere in the region of 5% (Over many thousands of hands). In plain English, this means that on average, out of every 20 pots they play they will win 11 of them and lose 9. I realise that these are ideal generalisations but I'm just trying to explain it clearly. The number 9 and 11 are not that far apart. And it gets worse. These wins and losses do not appear in a neat line. They can be spread out in any sequence throughout a player's session. This is why pros can often have long strings of losing sessions. They never know from pot to pot what is going to happen, they only know their expected average return over a large sample, and this is what they play for. A lot of depression is caused in Poker due to players expecting to see instant returns on their efforts. Sadly the game is just not built that way. The winning player's margin is so small, that it can take a very long time to see any meaningful results. For example if you're an NL2 cash player (Blinds $0.01/$0.02) with a modest winrate of 3bb/100 hands, then this translates to $0.06 / 100 hands. This is a winrate of $0.0006 per hand of Poker. If that same player plays 78 hands per hour then their hourly rate is $0.05 per hour. (5 cents per hour). This is equivalent to a tournament player grinding $0.50 SNGs with an ROI of about 10%.. (Roughly). You would probably make more money walking around for that hour looking for coins on the ground, and this is why many players choose to multitable.

Here's another example: A 5% winning player at $3/$6 can expect to make 5bb/100 hands = $30. If that player is also doing about 78 hands per hour then they can expect an average hourly rate of about $23 per hour. This is meaningful money. (This figures are approximate but they are fine for getting my point across). After 8 hours at this rate, that's like a full day's pay. So a player who is winning at a rate of 5% is feeling ok about the time they're putting in, and so they don't mind losing 9 pots out of every 20. But at the micros it tends to cause a lot of pain because there's nothing to show for the time spent. The same applies to SNG players who have positive ROIs but aren't seeing the effect because the amounts are so small. Moving up is the only way to solve this problem but it has to be done by beating each of the limits in succession. If you skip over the lower limits and can't beat them then what skills are you going to bring to the higher stakes games? The answer is none because you won't have them. These skills are practiced and perfected using amounts of money that don't matter until you are ready to up the ante.

And just to note, these figures don't even include the rake! You have to beat that too AND have a positive ROI or bb/100. So again, only the very best players are going to achieve this consistently without relying on luck. At the higher limits, these winrates translate to bigger and more useful amounts of money, and the rake% are also lower which increases the good player's winrate. So my point is, this game is going to be loaded with losing sessions and winning sessions spread out in random patterns. If you expect a reliable pattern in your results then you are going to be very disappointed and therefore become depressed. It's very easy for the whole game to seem like a conspiracy against us when we are in that mindset. But the key to success is getting control of your mind first and how it deals with these emotions that Poker generates. Play for the long term. Maybe take a break for a few months and save up a larger bankroll. Then you can come back and play for more meaningful amounts of money. That way, your modest wins will seem much more significant. But again, don't forget to learn the skills required to beat the limit you're playing at. Best of luck. R
Clear explanation on the control. calculation on investment and math of average is crucial. common mistake all do is expecting that they play good game and they want to win massive amount without understanding the reality and nature of the game. Once we understand that It will lead to best position in building the bankroll and making decent money.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys Thx alot for all unestimable knowledge you are sharing with us Thx Thx Thx Thx!!!!!!!:deal:

R

RobQQ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
double up and leave

Try doubling up then leaving the table. Sit back down with what you started with that way your never losing more then your initial buy in. Plus youll be adding to your bankroll. As far as bad beats go they happen but over time you should be able to beat luck. Hope this helps

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're welcome

R

Last edited:
Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To win at poker in the long term u need to have strong bankroll management as well as a strong mindset. You must realize that your bankroll will never just steadily rise without some downswings along the way.

Come up with a strategy to make X amount of money using a consistent average buyin and stick to it. Don't let your emotions get the best of you when the bad beats hit. The bad beats will hit I guarantee you that. It's not just you, the poker site doesn't hate you and you're not the most unlucky person in the world. Everyone takes bad beats and this is why you need to play a lot of hands to overcome the variance and luck factor of poker.

If you think you're just bad at poker then you should pick up some poker books and start studying the game. I recommend Harrington on Hold'em by Dan Harrington. That is a great book for beating MTTs and overall just learning the important math skills needed to win in poker.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alot of people say play tight agresstive, But I think that makes you too pridictable. All though it can work you need to mix it up instead of just playing one way maybe? You Need to play different against different players

I heard if we all play the same way then we're all just passing the money around getting no where in long run and Rakes wins.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But if you losing you need to learn tight agresstive only and then you will be break even player ?

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been losing to the poker room for half a year . nothing helps with the way the poker room is set up . now everything is normal . so do not worry, and you will come luck

steeler1970

steeler1970

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch video and it was with Daniel Negreanu in it and he talked about playing small ball and i seen it on you tube. Know it help me out but how long tournaments are know i lose focus after 2 hours but i will get it one day.

Very good luck to you

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the mental game of poker, jared tendler

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the best way to counter the effects of mass losses is to start playing for less money. Play freeroll tournaments or microstakes. It's a pretty certain bet that if you can't win any of the freerolls, then you may are less than liekly to be able to win in other tournaments anyways. Discipline is a big part and being able to cut yourself off is most important when things arent going your way

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of us are in the same boat.I changed my game to make it more enjoyable at least and still make a little money.I open more ,semi-bluff a lot more ,a lot of probe bets,double barrel,3 -bets,call more in position.This is alot more enjoyable than sitting and waiting for good hands.I find I am running deep with a big stack a lot more often .

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi there, at least one person per day writes a post on this topic on a Poker forum. I think what often happens is that people have the wrong idea about how profitable Poker is. You are playing a very difficult game where the biggest winners are only making a modest profit margin. This margin is a lot smaller than most people realise. The sickest pros have an average winrate of somewhere in the region of 5% (Over many thousands of hands). In plain English, this means that on average, out of every 20 pots they play they will win 11 of them and lose 9. I realise that these are ideal generalisations but I'm just trying to explain it clearly. The number 9 and 11 are not that far apart. And it gets worse. These wins and losses do not appear in a neat line. They can be spread out in any sequence throughout a player's session. This is why pros can often have long strings of losing sessions. They never know from pot to pot what is going to happen, they only know their expected average return over a large sample, and this is what they play for. A lot of depression is caused in Poker due to players expecting to see instant returns on their efforts. Sadly the game is just not built that way. The winning player's margin is so small, that it can take a very long time to see any meaningful results. For example if you're an NL2 cash player (Blinds $0.01/$0.02) with a modest winrate of 3bb/100 hands, then this translates to $0.06 / 100 hands. This is a winrate of $0.0006 per hand of Poker. If that same player plays 78 hands per hour then their hourly rate is $0.05 per hour. (5 cents per hour). This is equivalent to a tournament player grinding $0.50 SNGs with an ROI of about 10%.. (Roughly). You would probably make more money walking around for that hour looking for coins on the ground, and this is why many players choose to multitable.

Here's another example: A 5% winning player at $3/$6 can expect to make 5bb/100 hands = $30. If that player is also doing about 78 hands per hour then they can expect an average hourly rate of about $23 per hour. This is meaningful money. (This figures are approximate but they are fine for getting my point across). After 8 hours at this rate, that's like a full day's pay. So a player who is winning at a rate of 5% is feeling ok about the time they're putting in, and so they don't mind losing 9 pots out of every 20. But at the micros it tends to cause a lot of pain because there's nothing to show for the time spent. The same applies to SNG players who have positive ROIs but aren't seeing the effect because the amounts are so small. Moving up is the only way to solve this problem but it has to be done by beating each of the limits in succession. If you skip over the lower limits and can't beat them then what skills are you going to bring to the higher stakes games? The answer is none because you won't have them. These skills are practiced and perfected using amounts of money that don't matter until you are ready to up the ante.

And just to note, these figures don't even include the rake! You have to beat that too AND have a positive ROI or bb/100. So again, only the very best players are going to achieve this consistently without relying on luck. At the higher limits, these winrates translate to bigger and more useful amounts of money, and the rake% are also lower which increases the good player's winrate. So my point is, this game is going to be loaded with losing sessions and winning sessions spread out in random patterns. If you expect a reliable pattern in your results then you are going to be very disappointed and therefore become depressed. It's very easy for the whole game to seem like a conspiracy against us when we are in that mindset. But the key to success is getting control of your mind first and how it deals with these emotions that Poker generates. Play for the long term. Maybe take a break for a few months and save up a larger bankroll. Then you can come back and play for more meaningful amounts of money. That way, your modest wins will seem much more significant. But again, don't forget to learn the skills required to beat the limit you're playing at. Best of luck. R

A necessary dose of truth for all aspiring pros. In poker, as in anything, it takes money to make money. You will only be able to make a decent income from poker at NL50 or higher (online if multi-tabling). This is also why live games start at NL200 ($1/$2). No point having lower stakes.

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And this is why I love to hate poker. I guess it is time to go lose some more. See you all at he $1 SnGs and the Freerolls.

:evil:Zer0:evil:

J

j t

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Change your strategy every time. It takes practice if everyone could do it we’d all be rich!

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think you should try to discover how to play, that is, it is not always feasible to play aggressive, I also think that you should read your players a bit better because many times that depends on how you play on certain plays

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just like the Leafs! maybe this year things will change and they will win the Stanley Cup and you will have a great winning streak!

B

Bodyguard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play your hands perfectly and some days all those 20% or 30% chance hands your opponents have all come in. You lose your flips. You run into AA/KK a lot. Bad days like that happens to all of us--you gotta fight through it if you are going to play long term.

The only thing you control is your positive mindset, good BR management to survive these bad swings and your discipline to play good hands aggressively. Good luck!

E

ElRosado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 things that can help you:
Mind set: Poker is a finite game. 52 cards. It's a lot about math.
Monet management: Only buyin with 10% of your bankroll. (Cash games leave immediately when you have doubled your buy in)
Mind set: Poker is not a card game played with people. It's a people game played with cards.

hemlok

hemlok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PATIENCE MATE.
I FEEL BAD READING THAT.

S

soillwill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the best way is to save up enough money to play in some of the higher stakes games in order to play against better players and pull a better payout. That's what I'm trying to do currently. playing in tourneys mostly myself like $75 - $150 and not rebuying. If i can't make it on the 1st buy-in then I don't deserve to continue playing that day.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to take a break from poker your confidence is low and you are at the point you expect to lose.Come back refreshed and hopefully things look up good luck.:):):)

S

soillwill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to take a break from poker your confidence is low and you are at the point you expect to lose.Come back refreshed and hopefully things look up good luck.:):):)

I agree with that. I guess I have been to fixated with poker and need to turn it around in other ways mentally. A break from the norm is just what the doctor ordered.