Strategies used in Freerolls?

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the same strategy for freeroll as I do small stakes.

I sometimes look like I am tight as a badger's ass, then other times I look like a complete maniac, I don't go to a table with the intention of being tight or loose, it depends on the players around me to how I play, just remember don't spew if you are against an calling station, as they're going to call no matter what.

Thanks I need to adjust my strategies and expand them im usually tight.

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The basic strategy for freerolls: to get your bankroll, LAG(Loose Aggressive). Because you start freerolls with a free, small stack, you have to build it up quickly, taking bigger chances than you would if you had put some money into the tourney. If you succeed with LAG, you can continue with that strategy, taking chances necessary to keep your stack in range of the leaders. Since it's a freeroll, others are taking a lot of risk, they have nothing to lose. You will see the limits of LAG, and take that with you for other tournies.
Lower limits, it's not the same as freeroll. Since the other players have some money in the game, expect tighter play. Make sure you sit down at the small stakes table with enough money, so you won't be bullied by those who like to bully, and to them, losing a little bit of money is worth the thrill of bullying.

As first piece of advice I've used it first obviously. I have succeeded with it and honestly at first I didn't follow second point as strictly and that was a mistake. I'm mostly a tighter player recently trying to loosen up more. Thanks

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have a range of hands that you play in each position. On bubl if you have a large stack of stealing blinds. At the money stage, take risks with bunches better than middle. At the final table, take your time and play good hands. Use your reputation.

Do you make a starting hand chart for each position, or organize this another way? I'm going to make some either way.

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my strategies when I am playing texas holdem is to evaluate the starting cards very well if they do not bet much before the flop and if my cards are connected or a medium pair or strong high raise to protect the hand:)

I was wondering if others were doing this or had a stronger hand. Thanks!

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play freerolls, don't bluff. Don't even think about it. Forget all the poker strategy articles you read because the freeroll world works differently. JJ + just push. The worse hands will call you, although sometimes they will win (since you will never 100% equity preflop), you will often build a big stack early on. Once you get into the deeper stages of the freerolls, you will be able to apply the ABC poker strategy again. This is how I finished 2nd place + $ 14 today. Good luck.

This is one of the best I've received. I haven't won above 10th, but I only missed the money once bluffing and playing to loose. Thanks

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if it indeed never works then that strategy can still have other adventages though ...

It does I've seen someone with +/-2BB go past my stack with this technique especially around the bubble. It just doesn't seem to work for me. Any tips on this would be much appreciated.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
best strategy at freerols, and micro stakes also is TAG style :) Our Mate from forum Nathan Williams wrote a lot good materials about it.

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if it indeed never works then that strategy can still have other adventages though ...

best strategy at freerols, and micro stakes also is TAG style :) Our Mate from forum Nathan Williams wrote a lot good materials about it.

If not too much trouble, could you try to link it here?
I couldnt find it as he had much content.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually use the same strategy, for me what changes from tournament to tournament is the number of players who bluff and how

Another way to look at it is to play aggressively as players pay with more (bad) hands in this type of tourney

MC_asp

MC_asp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me there are no special tactics for freerolls. Be patient and try to avoid all-ins pre-flop. There are much worse players who go all-in with a hand of 2 7 offsuited and then still take the pot.

So be patient and sometimes you need a bit of luck.

A

acenit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loose aggressive I play in freerolls, try to get a big stack

T

tladake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my problem with the freelolls is that, for some reason I have less motivation to play it than for buy-in. I play more risky so my strategy is to use freerols more to learn and test some solutions, than to win. Maybe more people do it, so its why freerolls players quality sims to be lower than other tournaments.

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my problem with the freerolls is that, for some reason I have less motivation to play it than for buy-in. I play more risky so my strategy is to use freerolls more to learn and test some solutions, than to win. Maybe more people do it, so its why freerolls players quality sims to be lower than other tournaments.

I think testing out new things is probably the best strategies vie used as many stop you from playing how you would for money and confusing the two can have a major impact on players in training. So also to have a distinct line between freerolls and buy in play. Thanks!

C

chayek777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thread is going much better than expected thanks all for your support and help!
And much more information needed on topic in my opinion.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To win more chips in early stage is main point for freerolls.

At middle stage lots players will all-in preflop for short stacks, select good hand to play.

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no real poker strategy when it comes to free rolls....

Hi I have no real strategy in free rolls. I just TRY to stay alive to the last GUY.

That's hard enough.

Thanks for listening!

..Bluff..

:cool:

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My freeroll strategy is simple tight as a rock and aggressive as a tiger and just have fun there will be lot of crazy players so don't get mad over bad calls and bad beats take some risks with your chips and maximize the fun that formula always works good luck ! :D

F

funfellow888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll strategy

first half decent hand allin to build a bank then ease off a little and play well.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

7thseal

7thseal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start out very aggressive. I tend to call with higher pocket pairs putting my tournament at stake early on. In the middle of the tournament I become a folding machine looking for only quality hands and "sure bets." The later stages of the tournament I feel out the competition, especially on the final table. I bluff depending on position and use my stack to my advantage. Sometimes it comes down to pure luck of the draw, but consistent play gets me in the money most of the time. Note that I am not a professional by any means and take the tournaments as a form of entertainment only. I try to learn with each tournament and strive for patience now when calling challenged all-ins. I hope to see you all on the tables and let the best hand win!

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are there any specific strategies to approaching free rolls or is it lower stakes players.
My strategy is to play with premium cards or brodways, with pocket pairs. In this type of game Freerolls are very aggressive, as they are free. People, in order not to waste a lot of time on them, eat everything or nothing at once.:eek:

D

d33nyc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The basic strategy for freerolls: to get your bankroll, LAG(Loose Aggressive). Because you start freerolls with a free, small stack, you have to build it up quickly, taking bigger chances than you would if you had put some money into the tourney. If you succeed with LAG, you can continue with that strategy, taking chances necessary to keep your stack in range of the leaders. Since it's a freeroll, others are taking a lot of risk, they have nothing to lose. You will see the limits of LAG, and take that with you for other tournies.
Lower limits, it's not the same as freeroll. Since the other players have some money in the game, expect tighter play. Make sure you sit down at the small stakes table with enough money, so you won't be bullied by those who like to bully, and to them, losing a little bit of money is worth the thrill of bullying.

What about in big real money tournaments, what type of play should be used or will be effective?

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are there any specific strategies to approaching free rolls or is it lower stakes players.
Push with your monsters If you have pocket jacks or better, don't slowplay. Don't try to set a trap; don't try to be smart. Just push all-in and wait. Poor hands will call you, although sometimes they will win (since you will never have 100% equity preflop), you will often build a big stack early on. In general, constant all-ins and loose-passive play should be the backbone of your strategy.Once you get into the deeper stages of the freerolls, you can use the ABC poker strategy again as all the fools will be kicked out of the tournament. If you make it to the final table, you will need luck just like any other final table. Follow these rules and you will get rid of a lot of frustration. But, if you want to play poker for real, then you have to invest real money.

Freeroll Passwords