Register Early or Late?

A

All Rise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was big on early registration for the longest time. Now, depending on a few criteria I use for my decision. I have had pretty good success with late registration. Especially in the ACR Venom steps.

Popescu97

Popescu97

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
In my opinion late registration it s a good choice

Y

Y5314

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Register late but not to late you may miss bounties than. (I play only bounty tourneys)
So I join mostly half past to catch guys with low stack:D

C

Cezar23927

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always registre early, layer your odds drop because of The many chips that The firts players have already

juanmapoker1

juanmapoker1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is striking but I do better in late registration

S

sharkyrazvan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
all the time I register where in the middle of the initial term

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play from the start

I prefer to play from the start of a tourney when everyone has the same amount of chips. As others have said playing early gives you a chance to double up playing against the "all Inner's" who are there just trying to buy pots and get lucky.

Seems to me it to be a disadvantage in starting late as by that time others have had a chance to build up a big stack and blinds are higher thus you are starting with as low stack and don't have the power to push a good hand when someone sitting there with mediocre cards would have no issue calling say your 300 chip raise and they hit with "rags"

Just my thought:)))))))
Good luck to you all and wishing you all good cards and more so good health as we all deal with the virus.

M

maxmaster10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it`s depend of my time, but if i choose, i play early

P

Pocmcfc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play from the start. Knuckle down play tight and build my stack. Don't get drawn into bluffing with shit and doing 3bets without the nuts while the fish are still around. Only start opening up in the mid game when you can use your stack to it's biggest influence.

Jessica1507

Jessica1507

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I don't like to get involved in the first blind levels myself so I prefer late registration for regular tournaments.

sarvari_ati

sarvari_ati

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Hi

I read today a player suggesting that it is best to register for a MTT late - right before late registration ends

I am puzzled and hope some experienced players can give the pros and cons of this strategy?

thanks

Late registration need:) more lucky factor

B

Baxter2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to do it early... because when other players join, i already can have good numbers of chips..

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time i like to be there from the beggin........I like to play first hand..:)

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the blind structure. If blinds are going up pretty slowly and there's not much difference between starting on time or registering late, then late registration has the advantage of having some players already being out of the tournament. The late registrants then have to fight against fewer players to reach the money, as there is now a distribution of stack sizes and late joiners can be right in the middle (so better off than around half of the field at least). There is a mathematical approach to calculating the best time to join. It would include looking at the blind levels, the payment structure, and the stack size distribution at any particular point. I am sure it can be optimized.

Agree completely with this statement.

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always registered early for tournaments.
First of all weak players get eliminated early more often than not, so when you register late you are more likely to be playing versus better players.
Your stack when registering late will be around 10-20 big blinds, which means that your game will be limited to 3bet shove/openshove instead of playing postflop.
The only upside I see on registering late is that you spent less hours playing, because usually you either bust quickly or stack up enough to run deep.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have better results either starting from the beginning or soon after a tournament starts. Registering near the end of the late reg. period is just asking for trouble..

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends on the structure, but i prefer to play in the beginning when it´s possible, so i can built my chips as long as i can to when the big blinds become high i´m ready to deal with the high bets

A

axel142

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like play tournaments at the beginning. its better don't miss any hand and have a find some fishes

boo_maju

boo_maju

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to online poker but from my understanding, entering the end of the record makes the number of blinds very short. So, you should play all-in most of the time when you decide to enter a pot.
Starting the tournament at the beginning, certainly reduces the risk of taking bads, the hands can be played with more caution. My advice is that when entering tournaments, the important thing is that your game is good enough to be profitable in the long run.
Boo embrance.

Dalyn

Dalyn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In small live tournaments always go for late registration I like to gamble :D , but on bigger tournaments always on early registration.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should try playing a tournament on time and also late at the last minute and see which method works better for you.

Then you can analyze your experience.

I would recommend staying with what works best for you.

Personally I think you want to see as many hands cheaply as possible and also take advantage of donk play with players that are trying to double up early in the tournie.

Good luck !

Excellent advice. For me for example it works best to register at the end of late registration.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should try playing a tournament on time and also late at the last minute and see which method works better for you.

Then you can analyze your experience.

I would recommend staying with what works best for you.

Personally I think you want to see as many hands cheaply as possible and also take advantage of donk play with players that are trying to double up early in the tournie.

Good luck !

Excellent advice. For me for example it works best to register at the end of late registration.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think late registration is better coz the fish generally get eliminated in the early stages

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play from the beginning, entering at the end of the late registration I will be in a smaller stack than other players and players with big stacks will press me.