Register Early or Late?

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’d like wait a while because some tournaments blind structure doesn’t make sense. Only if it is a turbo one I’d like to start at the beginning

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Due to greater flexibility to play going in the beginning (Blinds number) In the beginning. Of course this is an extremely superficial analysis, for those who play more aggressively with a greater number of hands maybe it's better later, where the blinds are bigger and the people more cautious, sone or other ends up being subjective and will depend of what fits best with your game

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better to register early because players will players play with a lot of weak hands, but I like registering late with push-fold stack.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if u register at the very late reg u must did many pushes that to get working stack in nl games. In the limit games are the big risk sit late and even not help the re-entry.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to register when Push or Fold is on.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
if the tournament is slow and has several hours of late registration I register when half of the record goes, if the tournament is fast I register from the beginning, it is like more I feel comfortable playing, there are people who are guided more by the initial stack more how many big blinds they would have when they registered

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you think about staging the tournament strongly recommend that you register at the beginning of the tournament because the amount of chips that you can accumulate in the time of beginning to the end of the registration will give you a huge advantage over those who enter the end of the registration and enter short

B

Bertie Wooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Hi

I read today a player suggesting that it is best to register for a MTT late - right before late registration ends

I am puzzled and hope some experienced players can give the pros and cons of this strategy?

thanks

You can get away with registering late in some of these satellites and save yourself a couple of hours of grinding, but I can't see how it would be any sort of advantage to register late. Yes, a number of players are eliminated so the field is smaller, but on the other hand many of the worst players are already eliminated so you are not eligible to take their chips. You are also well behind the chip leaders as soon as you went to the tournament.

A person who plays MT t's for a living, or really anyReally good player is shooting for the top 3 to 5 spots in any turnament. It's a pretty obvious disadvantage to come in with a starting stack When several players already have 5 or 6X starting stack

I Usually don't play tournaments that allow more than 3 hours of late registration. I find it kind of annoying.

The one time I do enter a tournament late is when I can see that it is going to fall far short of the guarantee. And that case even though I'm entering late my $100 entry is worth a $140 or something so I think it's worth the investment.

This doesn't happen often, but I found A1K guaranteed Limit holdem tournament on America's cardroom the other day for $10 they only got 45 entries which is incredibly rare but a great value.

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Hi

I read today a player suggesting that it is best to register for a MTT late - right before late registration ends

I am puzzled and hope some experienced players can give the pros and cons of this strategy?

thanks

I've already done well in both ways, but I think that early registration is the best option. You have more blinds and you do not have to wait for hand prizes to give all-in logo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early

i prefer to start playing from the beginning the tourments because i dont want
( by late register ) the other players to have biger stakes than me.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I late register in all my MTTs. I'm comfortable sitting with 10 BBs and shoving a wide range of hands to double up. I'll basically open jam everything except really disconnected off-suit hands like 3Jo, but I'll jam J3s. Open jamming and calling a jam is different, so my calling range is slightly tighter. My 3bet jam range is even tighter as I don't have fold equity anymore so I'll need to have a much stronger hand since I know I'm getting called.

The pros of late registering (for me) is it cuts down MTT time a lot. Some MTTs I've played have gone on for 8 hours, but since I late registered, I only played 5-6 hours. There are also a ton of bad players at the late stages of an MTT that play way too tight, especially as money bubble approaches. So, aggression and a lot of blind stealing, restealing, willingness to play for stacks fairly wide [not afraid to get it in 30-40% equity spots], and playing my big hands for max value is how I build my stack. It also builds up an image of being reckless and loose, so I get paid off when I do have a big hand.

The negative is there is a lot of variance, so I bust out of a lot of MTTs. I've been on 40 game downswings. This is why it's important to always play for 1st place to balance out these swings.

If you want to start late registering, I suggest giving yourself a decent stack to start. At least 30-40 BBs.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's regular speed and blind are going up slowly then you easily can register later. But if it's some turbo mode then you can get out really fast because blind go up really fast

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont understand why anyone would register late, fish tend to go out early and you want to play hands with the fish.

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the blinds are growing too fast I'd rather start at the beginning, otherwise it's better later when the crazy ones have already fallen

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on blinds and late reg duration. Hate having to play 3 plus hours and constantly face fresh players. If reg is less than an hour, I sign up early. Otherwise, I sign up about halfway through.

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a late registration to have the smaller stack?)) why?

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way is to start from the beginning, and hand by hand, climbing the ladder on chips amount. Try register later, play, and tell us how it went.
I'm sure that if the blinds are already high, you'll need more luck with cards than using your skills like you usually do.

B

Bertie Wooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
today's anecdote on this topic

Hi Hi

thanks

So...this is anecdotal, not proof of any argument. I had a step 5 ticket for the Venom $5 mil tourney on America's card room. Got home...saw they had a step 5 satty underway... 39 players for 13 spots or so... down to 25 players. I decide to jump in at level 9, 12 levels of late reg

Blinds are 125 250, so 20 BBs I check the top 10 players. Only 1 real shark and a lot of stiffs, so it seems like a good investment. 15 mins later... blinds up 2 lvl to 200 400, I have about 5K still. In BB with KQ, folds to SB who snap shoves. I have around 10 bigs. I call. SB has 10 2, hits a 2 on the turn. I'm out. Now there are a few players with a LOT of chips and everyone battling for the remainder of 15 seats... but only 21 players left, so I re-enter. First Hand I am in BB. Big stack min raises. I have AK and shove. Villain has AJ. Flop is KQx, villain hits a straight on turn. OUT

3 mins left of late reg...17 players for 15 spots... I am seriously considering another entry. I would be ahead of bottom stack and it seems like a "smart" investment. I wait until 1 minute left and register. 7 other players have the same idea.

Now it's actually a bad investment because I am effectively against about 13 or 14 players for about 3 or 4 spots...everyone else has a "safe" stack.

They end up paying 16 entries and $139 in cash for 17th (which wound be a loss of course) I picked my spots and got lucky and snagged one of the step 6 seats...but it was hairy as hell and looking back, that last re-entry was not a great investment.

I'm waiting to play a ste 6 until I have at least 2 entries.

Amusingly, I had a sep 4 enry in my ticket bank. Jumped in when I this was over and got AA my first hand. early pos. raise 3X, late call, button and BB call. Q10 3 flop, BB checks, I bet, late raises, BB shoves... I am in for about 40% of my stack and if I hold up, I can nurse this to another level 5 ticket. I call, snigging a KQ and a flush draw...they BOTH have Q 10 and I get bounced.

In a "regular" tourney, I can fold here pretty easily, but these step satties, especially lower levels play crazy, hence the call.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So...this is anecdotal, not proof of any argument. I had a step 5 ticket for the Venom $5 mil tourney on America's card room. Got home...saw they had a step 5 satty underway... 39 players for 13 spots or so... down to 25 players. I decide to jump in at level 9, 12 levels of late reg

Blinds are 125 250, so 20 BBs I check the top 10 players. Only 1 real shark and a lot of stiffs, so it seems like a good investment. 15 mins later... blinds up 2 lvl to 200 400, I have about 5K still. In BB with KQ, folds to SB who snap shoves. I have around 10 bigs. I call. SB has 10 2, hits a 2 on the turn. I'm out. Now there are a few players with a LOT of chips and everyone battling for the remainder of 15 seats... but only 21 players left, so I re-enter. First Hand I am in BB. Big stack min raises. I have AK and shove. Villain has AJ. Flop is KQx, villain hits a straight on turn. OUT

3 mins left of late reg...17 players for 15 spots... I am seriously considering another entry. I would be ahead of bottom stack and it seems like a "smart" investment. I wait until 1 minute left and register. 7 other players have the same idea.

Now it's actually a bad investment because I am effectively against about 13 or 14 players for about 3 or 4 spots...everyone else has a "safe" stack.

They end up paying 16 entries and $139 in cash for 17th (which wound be a loss of course) I picked my spots and got lucky and snagged one of the step 6 seats...but it was hairy as hell and looking back, that last re-entry was not a great investment.

I'm waiting to play a ste 6 until I have at least 2 entries.

Amusingly, I had a sep 4 enry in my ticket bank. Jumped in when I this was over and got AA my first hand. early pos. raise 3X, late call, button and BB call. Q10 3 flop, BB checks, I bet, late raises, BB shoves... I am in for about 40% of my stack and if I hold up, I can nurse this to another level 5 ticket. I call, snigging a KQ and a flush draw...they BOTH have Q 10 and I get bounced.

In a "regular" tourney, I can fold here pretty easily, but these step satties, especially lower levels play crazy, hence the call.

interesting thanks, appreciate all the comments
i suppose like in all things .. "depends" on the factors and using rules and availabilities to our best advantage

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
depends on the blinds, if they increase very fast or if they are slow, but usually I like to play from the beginning, although sometimes I take a little into consideration how long is the late registration, but even so I prefer to register from the beginning

S

SkorpiosMC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally i register somewhere in the middle , when i register very late and we are playing tyrbo blinds, where i have 8 to 12 blinds then it is shoving showtime..

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I register in the middle of registration time and depending how good it is the structure, turbo or slow.

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of those late registration times are extremely long. Signing up at the beginning while there is three or four hours of reg time is too much of a commitment.

E

Enthusiast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the structure of the tournament, if the tournament is slow and with a large stack, then you will comfortably begin the game with late registration, and if the turbo tournament is not, because you will have a small number of blinds and you will be forced to play with more than usual a spectrum of hands

Sss888111

Sss888111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you go to the late registration, in fact to start as soon as possible to double, the stack will be 10-12bb, so in this situation, wait for a less normal card and go all in!