Professional Player in Freeroll Poker tournaments

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one can stop an amateur from playing expensive tournaments! It all depends on the player's bankroll! Sometimes bankrupt pros are forced to start from scratch!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On different platforms there are freeroll tournaments where beginners have opportunities to generate resources, is it a disadvantage to admit professional players in these tournaments?

I think this is a very good thing! Because beginners will have the privilege of facing prestigious players, and besides they don't even need to play freerolls, they often play because they are the promoters of freerolls and also to please beginner players and fans. Rest assured poker is a game where you can beat the pros!:)

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a disadvantege to those pros to play a freeroll haha, I wouldn't want to waste time on a freeroll if I was a pro.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that this option will be useful for beginners, they will learn from the regs what cards are being played with, from what position. If a reg participates in freerolls, then most often he has a kind of warm-up before a serious tournament, and not in order to take the prize for the first place. the game is not worth the candle in this case, time is too valuable a resource to spend on freerolls for beginners, this is only for warm-up.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
From the point of view of a professional it does not make any sense
From the point of view of beginners it is a good opportunity to gain confidence and learn

P

PenguinJeff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How does one know if there is a professional playing? Do they come out and say it? Or is this just a hypothetical question?

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Back in the day there was a trny that was played every week at Doyle's Room where poker pro's were playing w/bounty's on their heads but it was a buy-in situation; although they did have a really cheap step-satellite trny schedule starting at $.27. The buy-in was $27 and I think it had a guarantee of $25K. I can remember playing in it quite a few times for 27 cents. Almost freerolling . I think I was at a table w/Ted Brunson the most. Good times, good times.:bike:

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that a pro has only a slightly bigger chance of winning in a freeroll. Players don't pay for them so they call even with very weak hands and often they succeed.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't see any problem and one more opponent because it's a freeroll we'll have all kinds of opponents (novices and with experience) !

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn't that one of the great things about poker? That people of any skill level, experience, age, gender, race, background, orientation, etc can come together and play a game we all enjoy. If a complete donk can buy in to a million dollar tourney, why not a pro into a freeroll.

All you need to play is a chip and a chair. (even those two are somewhat optional)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not at all a disadvantage. Poker is a game of skill and luck. The only way to get better is to play against a variety of players.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a disadvantege to those pros to play a freeroll haha, I wouldn't want to waste time on a freeroll if I was a pro.

It is not always a waste of time, those players who after being so good at poker as professionals fall for external reasons then going back to the beginning is the best thing to do because if you spend money which is borrowed it becomes an addiction so it is always good to give yourself some time and start again.

H

Higino_santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
On different platforms there are freeroll tournaments where beginners have opportunities to generate resources, is it a disadvantage to admit professional players in these tournaments?

I never saw that, but also I just have started to play poker :), I see that like a great oportunity to everybody in the tournament to see how the pro play, and also to try to win a hand against the pro...

I`ll try to found this kind of tournament for sure!!!

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i wonder if the ego of professional players is quite low to have the courage to play freerolls with the the high risk of being eliminated there.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope everyone reading this thread realizes one thing...

...there's no difference between a "professional" poker player and an "amateur" poker player.

In fact, there's only ONE reason to even use that word "professional" at all... the reason is for TAX PURPOSES.

Here in America, if you meet the IRS requirements to be able to identify yourself as a "Professional Poker Player", then you get to follow different tax rules which are more advantageous than the rules for someone who does not qualify as a Pro.

For example, one of the IRS rules says that in order to call yourself a Professional, you CANNOT have any other income source (such as working a full-time day job). If you meet their definition, your tax calculation is more favorable than if you don't meet their definition.

So to summarize... the only difference between someone claiming they are a "professional" and someone who doesn't use that term to describe themselves is TAXATION STATUS. That's all that word "professional" really means... it indicates that player has special tax status with the American IRS which gives them a small advantage over so-called "amateurs" on their tax return. But it certainly does not give them any advantage at the poker tables!!

Remember... it's just a word!! Never be intimidated just because "OMG that person is a pro!!" Don't be scared of them. LOL That's the beauty of this great game we all love so much... anyone can play it, and unlike other "sports", the professional players in poker can sit right down at the table next to you at any time. I welcome all pros to my tables, any time!!

And just for the record... I am older and now retired from my day job and even tho I still call myself an amateur poker player... if I ever make a "big score", I will be able to qualify as a professional poker player. But I would only use that terminology if I win a lot of money... and since I mostly play freerolls for enjoyment, I doubt that will ever happen to me. But it could!! And then in that moment, I would instantly change from "amateur" to "professional". I hope that makes you realize just how meaningless a word can be sometimes! It's just for tax purposes, plain and simple. Best wishes at the tables!!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

...there's no difference between a "professional" poker player and an "amateur" poker player.

In fact, there's only ONE reason to even use that word "professional" at all... the reason is for TAX PURPOSES.

I totally agree with you, Professionals are no different than any amateur player, They pay their buy-in, sit down at the table, and take their chances like everyone else, I have at times played against a professional player on a number of occasions, and sometimes he wins, other times other players win.
The main difference between him and me is that he has travelled all over Europe to play in some huge tournaments, Budapest, Barcelona, Madrid and lots of other cities, He will pick a tournament that appeals to him most, by selecting the Buy-in he is comfortable with, and takes into account Air-fare and Hotel expenses, and will disappear from our small local game for a week of so.
To him our little buy-in game we play every week gives him a little pocket money while he is waiting for his next big game, He does not win every week, but if there is no alternative it keeps him afloat for a while. and he will go to several games every week while he is home, while, I myself, will only play live once a week.
Poker is a game that anyone can win, the best of it is I can take it or leave it, He has to play practically every day, to afford going abroad, and keep himself financially secure.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Thiagon

Thiagon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, professional players have some difficulty dealing with amateur players.
Some techniques just don't work when dealing with recreational players.
Many freeroll players do not follow poker logic and are left with the instinct to make decisions.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that playing at the same table with a professional is always a good opportunity to gain valuable experience and improve your skills. So I think there's nothing wrong with professionals playing freerolls.

D

dukgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, you can only increase your knowledge and skill level by playing with players that are better than yourself. Of course it’s more profitable to play with players with less experience, but it’s never good to be stagnant.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Here in America, if you meet the IRS requirements to be able to identify yourself as a "Professional Poker Player", then you get to follow different tax rules which are more advantageous than the rules for someone who does not qualify as a Pro.

For example, one of the IRS rules says that in order to call yourself a Professional, you CANNOT have any other income source (such as working a full-time day job). If you meet their definition, your tax calculation is more favorable than if you don't meet their definition.

So to summarize... the only difference between someone claiming they are a "professional" and someone who doesn't use that term to describe themselves is TAXATION STATUS. That's all that word "professional" really means... it indicates that player has special tax status with the American IRS which gives them a small advantage over so-called "amateurs" on their tax return. But it certainly does not give them any advantage at the poker tables!!

Remember... it's just a word!! Never be intimidated just because "OMG that person is a pro!!" Don't be scared of them. LOL That's the beauty of this great game we all love so much... anyone can play it, and unlike other "sports", the professional players in poker can sit right down at the table next to you at any time. I welcome all pros to my tables, any time!!

And just for the record... I am older and now retired from my day job and even tho I still call myself an amateur poker player... if I ever make a "big score", I will be able to qualify as a professional poker player. But I would only use that terminology if I win a lot of money... and since I mostly play freerolls for enjoyment, I doubt that will ever happen to me. But it could!! And then in that moment, I would instantly change from "amateur" to "professional". I hope that makes you realize just how meaningless a word can be sometimes! It's just for tax purposes, plain and simple. Best wishes at the tables!!

A professional poker player wasting his time siting for hours in a free roll with the opportunity to win $20 is neither ev+ or ev-, it's nuts, not the nuts, just nuts.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never seen professional players play freerolls. I doubt they will waste their time.

Happylake

Happylake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Professional players are unlikely to play freerolls. 1) a waste of time 2) the game will deteriorate after the freerolls. For novice players, it will be yes. Here you can improve the quality of the game. I like to play freerolls. There is no need to invest money to play here. 5-6 freerolls a day and getting into the prize places bring a good profit (as a hobby, for example).Professionals get more.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, learn how to play against everyone.

Y

YR2311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eventually you will need to learn how to play against all types of players

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Everyone is welcome in freerolls but professional players don´t play them .Forget it, only you could see one of them playing a freeroll.if there was a promotion .