Professional Player in Freeroll Poker tournaments

tipejo767

tipejo767

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On different platforms there are freeroll tournaments where beginners have opportunities to generate resources, is it a disadvantage to admit professional players in these tournaments?

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, it is not. In freerolls, there is really crazy variance so it really does not matter who plays it - pro or hobbie player. These tournaments are supposed to be mainly fun with opportunity to get some money.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not sure how much of a pro a player is, if he plays freerolls. Usually the prize is very small, and a lot of people playing. 10 dollars for like 5 hours of your time, i mean come on, pro players can do better.
:icon_geek

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The professionals are in something else, they do not play freerolls, it is a wear that does not generate absolutely any benefit even if they win first place, a pro is on another level:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why shouldn't this be allowed? I see no reason to restrict these players from participating in such tournaments.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the professionals do not participate in freerolls, the prizes in freerolls are too small for them.:)

CBETKA

CBETKA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some freerolls feature pro players. It is interesting to play with him at the same table and knock him out of the tournament and get rewarded for it.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe most of the times pro players will be seen playing a freeroll is for promotion of the site or his home game and I see no reason why wouldn't they.
For instance Andre Akkari is often promoting freerolls at his PS HG and playing it.it works as promoting for PS and his e-sport team, Fúria.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't think many Pros would bother with free-rolls as the rewards are generally too small to actually make a living from them. Unless they were broke and playing rock bottom games to climb back up. But if they were broke I am sure they have many friends that would lend them a couple of thousand dollars for a few decent buy-ins.

It might be an Idea to push onto some sites, a Pro celebrity playing in a free-roll with a single bounty on his head like they do in some tournaments. Who knows? it might work and then of course they would probably introduce a re-buy system so it cost's you money to buy back in.
Anything is possible.

Personally it would not bother me, too much, as I have been playing like a dog recently, and couldn't win an argument if I was locked in a room by myself.
Poker is a game that should be played for fun and not worry about what you might win or lose, and that is why we have free-rolls to help fun players, It is also a way that poker sites can make money by introducing hobby and fun players into the Cash games, and tourneys, where they have to buy-in.

I have always said, that for every player like me, who likes to play for fun, there are thousand's of other players all chasing their dream's to make the big score.
Pro or Amateur we are all the same on the green felt. we all make mistakes, and we can all be beaten, and we can all be eventual winners.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think its fine, gives a chance for people to play againts one of their favorite pro's

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When they participate it has a connection with some promotion and I doubt that their focus (A-Game) is there and not at another table in this cases, so I even prefer

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a rule, a professional player does not play freerolls.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
this is a very difficult situation to happen, but when it does, take it as a challenge, you can test your ability against a pro player, and you will not be paying anything for it!

gl

J

jeffman123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is very rare for a professional poker player to be playing in a freeroll, since they could almost certainly make much more money by simply playing a cash game or a bigger tournament.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
On different platforms there are freeroll tournaments where beginners have opportunities to generate resources, is it a disadvantage to admit professional players in these tournaments?
The only reasons pros will be in freerolls is for promotional purposes or if they're on a BR challenge or the suchlike..

Either way, what's wrong with that? Good opportunity to witness how they play and square up against them for free, surely? :)

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolling is very common for pros... getting free tickets for tournaments all the time as rakeback, some tournaments are good to play like the old pokerstars tickets for platinum, supernova, etc. Or even some stuff running nowdays in some other online poker rooms. Or the major series tickets you receive when you are out of a tournament.

Or when the guys pay for you to play a tournament and share the prize.

Stu Ungar was playing a freeroll in the 1997 wsop Main Event (since Billy Baxter payed the entry), was not a real staking method back in the day, just a guy who saw potential in a great pro and gave him the chance to play for a huge prize. They split the prize but was not the conventional staking thing.

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't think it really matters and they should be allowed to play them if they want to do so, but generally speaking, I'm not expecting top pros to be hustling the freerolls I play in lol. Too much time invested for too little gain. Why play freerolls when you just came back from high stakes games? Doesn't really make sense...even if they were experimenting with a new strategy or something, they would play lower stakes with their peers, not freeroll players.

Im not sure how much of a pro a player is, if he plays freerolls. Usually the prize is very small, and a lot of people playing. 10 dollars for like 5 hours of your time, i mean come on, pro players can do better.
:icon_geek

My thought on it too. Of course, there are many freeroll players who are successful and I sometimes think of them as "pros" :D Probably regs for the freerolls is the more accurate term, but these players are consistently among the top finishers even compared to other good players.

The cardschat freerolls I play in the Platinum level and the Poker League games we play are filled with such "freeroll pros" :D and especially so at those Final Tables consistently :cool:

Why shouldn't this be allowed? I see no reason to restrict these players from participating in such tournaments.

No reason to not allow them to play, but with such a low incentive for the pro - I don't think too many pros would play freerolls when other games are available. Advertising, or a bankroll challenge or something similar is about the only exception I could think of that might justify a pro temporarily playing in freerolls.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, maybe. I agree with you that playing freerolls is pointless for a professional player. And by and large, if such a player takes part, then I think he does it just for his own entertainment. In such games, this player does not care about winning.

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think that a pro player will play a freeroll.
Why a guy that plays a 10k buyin will play for hours to, in the best case, wons 10USD
They are very welcome, but they dont play it
Sometimes streamers or some pro's create a freeroll to interact with thei fans/ viewers, so in that case they play it
And if i'm playing a freeroll and get into the same table of Negreanu i'll be very happy :D

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I don't think that's even a thing to debate about on the sheer fact of numbers of pros in freerolls which has to be close to none.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think, it has to be something positive for beginners to be able to compete with the professionals and to be able to learn for future tournaments. obviously your chances of winning are shortened but it is a small price for teaching.:):)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In general, I do not think professional players can be interested in freerolls, but in any case, I do not see any problem. In my opinion, the participation of a professional in freerolls, on the contrary, makes this tournament more interesting for all its participants.