Professional Player in Freeroll Poker tournaments

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On different platforms there are freeroll tournaments where beginners have opportunities to generate resources, is it a disadvantage to admit professional players in these tournaments?
absolutely not it might make you a better player.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A professional poker player wasting his time siting for hours in a free roll with the opportunity to win $20 is neither ev+ or ev-, it's nuts, not the nuts, just nuts.

My understanding is these are usually sponsored online or live players who are getting paid by the site to boost sign-ups or promote their own Twitch stream/brand. They're only playing because they're contractually obliged to participate in it as marketing for the site or their own personal brand.

To the OP this means it really doesn't matter if sponsored players are in freerolls, since the freerolls in question wouldn't exist without them in the first place.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Normally it is not very meaningful that proffesional players play freeroll.There are some aspects that it is not useful. At first the pro need a return of poker, because he must buy food, pay the rent of there home and all the other things for life. In normal freeroll there are lots of players and only some places paid and less money. But sometimes there are huge payouts, if you play those tourneys you have a good return. Another aspect of poker pros are the passion of the game. This passion would have make them sucessful. And for these typ of players they enjoy the game and would beat everybody, also in tourney were the money is not important for them. And i did not think that they loose there ability for the game if they play against not so good players from the freeroll. Sometimes there are special gifts in freeroll which are not buyable, so this things motivat them to play or the prestige to win.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My understanding is these are usually sponsored online or live players who are getting paid by the site to boost sign-ups or promote their own Twitch stream/brand. They're only playing because they're contractually obliged to participate in it as marketing for the site or their own personal brand.

To the OP this means it really doesn't matter if sponsored players are in freerolls, since the freerolls in question wouldn't exist without them in the first place.

Chris Moneymaker, who won millions of dollars in the 2003 world series of poker Main Event would play every Sunday afternoon with us "Land of the Free" Americans who are only allowed by our government to use the play chip side of poker stars... well Chris was a "sponsored pro" by the site, but there he was each Sunday in the highest stakes play chip tournament of the week.

He clearly enjoyed playing with us, but as you might expect, once his contractual obligation to Poker Stars ended last year, well that was the last we saw of Money800 in our play chip tournament. LOL So it's pretty apparent, he wasn't there for the love of poker (well, kinda sorta he was), but he was just there because he was a good sport and agreed to show up and play each week. It really was a cool thing, altho the truth is, I didn't quite have the big bankroll back then as I have today, and so I didn't get to play many times against Chris... but def a cool thing to get to compete against a wsop Main Event Champion every Sunday and test our skills!!! Like everything in life... those were the good old days, never to return again... (kinda like Black Friday here in America, sigh).

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only if they are getting paid!

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On different platforms there are freeroll tournaments where beginners have opportunities to generate resources, is it a disadvantage to admit professional players in these tournaments?
To some extent, yes. But it's a freeroll, he has complete freedom to participate.

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not sure how much of a pro a player is, if he plays freerolls. Usually the prize is very small, and a lot of people playing. 10 dollars for like 5 hours of your time, i mean come on, pro players can do better.
:icon_geek

I’m pretty sour on the concept of freerolls in this particular forum. So this time I tried to keep an open mind about it

And three comments in, someone hit it square on the head.

Why would a “professional” waste time on a freeroll? Cmon. Maybe just to play? Maybe.

hands up. Let’s see how many players in this freeroll forum believe “professionals” are taking seats in a $50 freeroll with 4,000 other players. Or even the daily ones with a big ol $100 to split with 5,000 players.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not always a waste of time, those players who after being so good at poker as professionals fall for external reasons then going back to the beginning is the best thing to do because if you spend money which is borrowed it becomes an addiction so it is always good to give yourself some time and start again.
If a person who should be a pro poker player is playing freerolls to get back on track he's clearly doing something wrong and should maybe reconsider if he's actually a pro.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I don `t believe.

They are free tournaments, if a professional decides to enter and make life impossible for us, then no way.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The pros sometimes play in freerolls because they are ambassadors for the poker room and this gives the average joe a chance to play at same table as pro. Otherwise it is probably rare for a pro to play in a freeroll

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
On unibet I have seen the sponsored ambassor go all in every hand after reaching final table in Freeroll.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Here would be nothing wrong for any professional playing in a free-roll.. While I doubt its worth there time i wish they would do it more. How many time have us player said I would love to go up against a professional and see how I would do. Having the opportunity in a free roll must be +ev since you have the opportunity and its free.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really doubt someone that's decent would want to play in freerolls unless they're doing it as a challenge. If they're serious then they shouldn't be wasting their time on the folks in freerolls. They should be studying and working on playing the folks they intend to play.

And if someone has a clue to what they're doing wants to play in a freeroll then its only 1 spot so it shouldn't matter anyway.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
professional poker players are found on all sides in a tournament i coincided with one winner from the ETP and another from the WCOO in both cases the tournament was of minimal value but i think that as long as they pay their entry they participate like any other player :D

O

odonob

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would liken this to an ‘open’ tennis tournament. The tournament should be open to all players. The amount so variance is a big leveller, especially with thousands of entrants. As Gus Hansen says 90% of the game is luck. So this negates any real or perceived edge a pro may have, their advantage is very low.

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be tickled to play with them an they give us nonpro the time, lol there just ppl like us.

ObiwanJ

ObiwanJ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How else am I going to win a hand against a pro?:D:rolleyes:

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pro playing freerolls? It's just losing time, unless they are doing a challenge 0 to X$ . A 100$ prize freeroll will give maybe 30$ for the first place. A pro player won't get it everytime, and quite rarely as the variance is very high in freerolls. A lot of all ins going on quite early in the game.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
it would be a waste of time for pros to play freerolls
unless they are paid to play them

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Anyone is free to participate in a freerol and if there is a pro who wants to play a freerol for whatever reason then that would be a good challenge. But then of course only if they show their best game in a freerol and I would very much doubt that. A pro lives off the income he gets from poker, and a freerol would probably just be a waste of time. But still there can be different reasons why a pro decides to play a freerol.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

I don't think there are professional players in freerolls. There are all amateurs, at best.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no pro player in freerolls. They don't waste time there unless it's exhibition probably.