Playing freerolls - does it make sense?

I

iSaladir

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are good to go if you are beginning with poker. But ther are a lot of people who are just shoving every hand. so be careful and prepared

J

joaocm2018

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls for me is just to training my capacities :D

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you can not place, or do not want to deposit, is a good way to create a bank.
Play freerolls can be crazy, but what good is that you do not have to invest money, Annette Obrestad, he began his career and won thousands of dollars in freerolls.

strugglezhope

strugglezhope

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls can build a Bankroll over a long period or boost it, if you win one, but if you have a Bankroll it feels like waisting of energy and capaticity.
There are many Players so the variance is more (MTT´s) with a higher amout, much higher...

But on 888Poker are awesome Freerolls and more of them as on every other side, in my opinion.

A

Avvavva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to look at what "value" the freeroll offers ie if there are 1000 players with a prize pool of $5 then skip it, but if its 300 players for $1000 then play it.

lol @ $1000 and 300 players freeroll.:rolleyes:

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was at my friend's house for a beer and played $200 freerol with 100 players (free for all players). I won the first place for $38.

First I wrote "I was at my friend's nouse". Well, my English is a garbage, but can be funny, at least.

devisam

devisam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yah play free not for win few cent but i play to learn strategy and Patience for the big tournament.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From a time/money perspective, they aren't very profitable. However, they are great practice for the micro stakes. Being able to practice versus opponents at your stakes for free is PRICELESS. Especially if you have a small bankroll and don't feel like you are a winning player yet, I would PRACTICE in these tournaments as much as possible. Building your bankroll is an added benefit.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that freerolls do suit a certain purpose in the sense that it allows me to gain certain skills in a tournament environment, a warped and distorted tournament environment, but an environment all the same and it doesn't cost me anything but my time.

Last edited:
Heathencore

Heathencore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are great practice yes there are some wild players but there is in a lot of regular low limit tourneys with crazy bingo players as well.
Yes you can make a profit playing freerolls. Win a few free rolls and play micro stakes until you have a got a small bankroll built up before you move up to low limit. and just practice good bankroll management!

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's a win or a lose, it's up to you. The glass is filled drop by drop. If you become REALLY GREAT at freerolls youll become even better at bigger tables and tournaments.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a great way to start playing on line. If you plunge right in with a deposit and start playing for real money there's a good chance that money will be gone before you know it. Sure there are players in freerolls who bet a little crazy but you can generally wait out the crazies over the first half hour or so while they crash and burn with their all-ins.

Once things settle down you can get in some good practice....you'll see a variety of playing styles that you might not see in real money tournaments. And, when variance rears it's ugly head you won't lose a penny.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a good way to supplement your bank roll. If you start with a small bank roll you can play regular tournaments and free rolls. Most players run 2-4 tables at once so you can grind out a good amount of tournaments. Just mix and match the ones with decent size payouts and they can help build your roll without costing you a thing.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The sheer numbers, thats why you play Cardschat..

Thanks for reply :) Ofc in freerolls a lot of people go all in every hand and play crazy, so play in freeroll is much different than play "normal" mtt. Imo freeroll with less than 300 people is quite good to play. But that 1000+ fields, like jackpot tourneys etc. isnt as good

I agree with what you said: the sheer volume of entrants of many freebies is a reason not to play; like you can defeat 900 other players. Cardschat freebies are more in line with reality: 150+/-, entrants, no crazy late entries. with only 150 to beat, ITM around 30 +/-, it gives you hope, that if you are lucky and play your good, normal game you might get ITM, for a dollar or more at Cardschat freebie; not pennies on so many ITM freeebies

With a smaller field, Cardschat freebies, not as many all-ins. There are a few here and there, but not a constant shove-a-thon like lesser freebies can turn into.

Cost/benefit, Cardschat freebies cannot be beat; I've played a lot of freebies that drone on and on, late entries, rebuys, etc. Cardschat does not have either: no multiple-levels of late entries and no rebuys.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it seems mostly waste of time but some are way better than others, global poker has decent ones for just playing in play money rooms.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I play on partypoker and have a question. Is playing freerolls make sense? Yes I can win free money, but in freerolls there are 1000+ players. Do you play freerolls? Is it good way to build bankroll or only timewaste?
I haven't put in a dime to online poker but I've been playing freerolls like mad on ACR. I just took first place the other day in our very own Cardschat freeroll. Thank you so much Cardschat for the $25. I took second place in smaller amount freeroll the same night and picked up another $4. From there I have it up to $78 now. Meanwhile I've been playing the freerolls to get into the step tournaments for The venom. The venom is a $2600 buy-in for a $1,000,000 prize pool tournament that they have every Sunday. I'm sitting on a ticket for the final step, a $630 value. Which means right now I have better than a 1 in 5 chance of playing in the big game. Do I think it's worth it? Yes I do.

Ricardo007

Ricardo007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the freeroll is a great way to build a bankroll mainly for those who do not want to invest in their own pocket

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, a freeroll is not a bad opportunity to build a bankroll from scratch, but you shouldn’t expect great success in this discipline, maybe you’re lucky, and maybe you’ll see your first win pretty soon

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My years of grinding freerolls initially; is what helped to foster the stamina and patience I know have in my game. Quite frankly; Freeroll minefields are harder to beat than most $22 Tournaments Online or $100 Tournaments live.

They are very very good for training you in those aspects. Don't let anyone tell you they aren't worthwhile :), that's a long-term, important strength to have if you wish to be a profitable tournament player.

I totally agree. I think they can help you become a much better player.

I would recomend freerolls to anyone who is interested in the game and thinking of spending their own hard earned cash on buy ins. And even to those who are looking for a less expensive way to get in a lot of good practice. The quality of play varies, but the closer you get to the final table, the more serious the players are and the play is pretty much like any other game. Especially the CC freerolls, which I think are like any other micro mtt.

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the Freeroll didn't make sense then the Cardschat forum wouldn't have 260 000 Members. How do you like my answer?

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's relative.
The only option for some. Many of these freerolls are pretty hot for the little guys or anyone at that (such as a satellite to a really big tourney)
However, there are buy-in's with guaranteed payouts for less than a buck.
As someone climbs the latter, it would be hard for me to understand why they would invest their time in a tourney if it was not possible to generate a return comparable to what they would generate utilizing BRM.

I hope to get to the level where these are big questions.

C

collesut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are for players who enjoy playing poker and want to get better
It can help you with you Bankroll but also don't expect to play 50 freerolls and have a 100 dollars bankroll
It Is a slow proces of learning to be patitent and to value what it means when you win 3$ from a 1500+ players field finishing 6-th

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the time you would make more money collecting aluminum cans...
but poker is poker, and once you are down to the final table, it is like any MTT really so that is good practice too. Also, in some very expensive MTTs, people go crazy and shove a lot, so it is nice to have a strategy for that. I dont think the prize pool is important, practice at a final table is invaluable.

Freeroll Passwords