Play aggressive early in the tournament or stay consistent?

T

timbos fire

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never win early

I have never won a poker tournament in the first hour of it... I have lost several though... Most tournament are set up to where you have a while before you have to make a move, not saying to play weak, but you have to survive the beginning to make it to the end...

D

ds276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is impossible simply correctly to answer this question. All depends on many factors. But it is impossible to choose extremes. Playing is necessary on a situation and to observe balance, not forget here to support the stack for possibility to play more wide hands.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Turbo or super turbo to play aggressive . If the regular tournament , consistently . Well, depends on map and opponent .

Bodomovac

Bodomovac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it depends what kind of players are on the table. Personally, I like to play tight in the beginning.

rocknroll0

rocknroll0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
or wait for when the blinds will eat your stack

M

mikey481968

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would try not to get it too too many hands ........... some or most people win early and lose late

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the blinds go up quickly with a premium hand to go Allin.

J

jmphotoguy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and No

Online I play aggressive when I have a hand because the probability of being called seems higher. The less people at the table the more aggressive I play, especially in turbos. Live I will only play aggressive when I think i'm good on a read or I have at least a medium hand.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playful always plays loose and that why she has no-bucks lol:eek:

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you know how, when and vs who you should fold, then surely play agro-business all the time. Play connectors and small pairs with small preflop raise, high pairs with much larger raise to freeze out callers with trash. At the start of tourney lots of players play "any two" or "any ace" or all of the connectors and suited cards, thats why you better raise big with high pockets, and it's ok if you'll only win blinds. Better win blinds then go home with pocket aces against flush with 69 suited.

Zacccpanec

Zacccpanec

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday i look at my statistics in mtt tournaments, and i see that's i must to play more carefull when the tournament is starting

H

Haanski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to be consistent especially with my bet sizing. There are parts of the tourney I will choose to tighten up my range a bit

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know if it is the variance, but I usually seem to build a stack early in mtt's and think i can coast, then I get involved hands where I probably should lay them down, but I am getting right price to take the chance, and then it cascades for me from there. I wish my play was better near the end of the mtt not at the beginning.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play loose in the beginning cause that one time when you do hit it, you have a high chance to double up do to the fish

L

Lincon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy in the NL2 is to play hands of value against loose and be aggresive against the fishs they are passive some.

Last edited:
R

Rochar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its about survival in the early stages. The blinds are small and not worth stealing. Here's a scene for you... You @ the w.s.o.p. and its the opening hand, you on the BB and everyone folds, except for the button who calls all in. you check your cards and discover AA... What do you do ? remember your tourney life is on the line

Shove.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If a freeroll absolutely. However, if for money online I am aggressive with high value cards but not until post flop. I generally play by position as much as possible, if I am getting great cards out of position ill mixup limping with 2 and 3 x the blind.

Z

zawvc1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should play normally the way you do so you don't play the wouldn't coulda shoulda game.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At the beginning of the tournaments I like to play very tight, especially when playing online - because online everyone can pay your aggressiveness and get lucky on the river ;) . When playing tight, and you get 3-4 times the initial stacks, you can start playing aggressive based on the table you are on

I actually play very tight in early stage of the game and get more information about opponents

It is important to play tight in the beginning, but also keep an eye on your opponents. Depending on the buy in, you will see different types of play.

For example : if you play in a freeroll, you will see a lot of people going all in with bad cards.

What happens if you have AA , and you find yourself in a position where there are 5 guys all in? From my point of view i would rather play something bigger. where players are tighter. :)

If you play tight inthe beginning you cannot build a stack , so later you fight to stay alive , not get binded out and get to the bubble . You need to pay more loose /aggressive in the beginning .I used to be a nit , I try to change this now cause that way you cannot play a tournament , not to mention how to double or triple your stack . You cannot always wait for the monster hands and wait for some othr loose players to go all in to pay you .:) :deal:

B

besece

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its about survival in the early stages. The blinds are small and not worth stealing. Here's a scene for you... You @ the w.s.o.p. and its the opening hand, you on the BB and everyone folds, except for the button who calls all in. you check your cards and discover AA... What do you do ? remember your tourney life is on the line

A

aseduu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the important thing is to always see you money!