Play aggressive early in the tournament or stay consistent?

HoldemStar97

HoldemStar97

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressive but at the same time passively . Permanent change my style of play makes me difficult to analyze

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play aggressively is different than play every hand. At beginning of tournaments I tend to play really tight and get some fishes' stack. But if I'm on a hand, expect big bets pressuring the vilain.

That's the best to do I think.

C

coachlary69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 4 factors I am going to look at: the speed of the game, (turbo, hyper turbo), my stack size (short/big), rebuy, and close of the registration period. If it's a turbo and I have a decent starting stack and the registration period is not to long, then I'm going to stick with my regular game and maybe open up a few more hands. If it's a turbo, then I'm opening up wider, especially if it's a rebuy, and my starting stack is mid to short. I played in two MOSS events where the registration period was 5 hours, but the starting stack was big enough that I was able to register at the last minute and min-cash.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I wouldn't say very aggressive play at the beginning might be the best , it depends how you define aggressive .
I play more suited connectors ,gappers , small pairs at start trying to set traps to loose overaggressive players who play their Ak and AQ and other high pairs which now at start I don't trust ,I prefer 2pairs, sets and better .
Later in the tournament I play TAG ,trying to steal the blinds and if this style doesn't have success I play aggressively and a wider range of cards .

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better to play loose pre-flop, but not overly aggressive postflop when the SPR is big and you can afford it, and the weakest players are always around at the beginning. So you want to widen your range and play as many pots against them as possible. You want to build up your chips stack early, or go home early so you're not wasting your time.

This is pretty much that standard strategy of any (not all) winning high stakes tournament player that I've played against and how I play as well.

J

jjpregler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, I play tight from EP, but generally looser from MP and LP. Think TAG from EP, LAG from MP and insane maniac chip magnet monster from LP.

ARMYNAC

ARMYNAC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your guys opinions is it better to play aggressive early in a tournament when the blinds are going up quick or do you think you should just play the way you normally play consistently throughout the tournament?

Practice "Small Ball" Poker. - Yes, See more flops, and Stab at them when you have middle pair/ better - Try checking draw's = and most def MIX IT UP.

Read "SMALL BALL POKER"

:) Enjoy

I think the principle should play tight all depends on the hand and the position where one is. you have to study other players and game type and concerning that implement our strategy.

This is the recommend way TBH= Play tight early ... Its made me cash

Last edited:
Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many times did not play aggressive in the beginning of the tournament, nothing good is not over, so I prefer to play normally and quietly))

J

Joseph Havelka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something to ponder ... Why do you see pros choose to not show up in the early stages?

Let the crazies fight for the small pots early. Play tight and only be aggressive with good hands.
Because your goal is winning the tournament, and avoiding a cooler with the loose play in the beginning. Less variances.

V

Valiengo10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion is better play more consistent in the early tournament. Do not create bigs pots and play like Group A hands, play more in position and etc.

Z

ZenGlen007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand of tourney and they're all-in

I've only been playing for about a month. But almost exclusively tournaments.

Inevitably, it seems like someone always shoves all-in on the first hand (or within the first few).

Many times, multiple people jump on the bandwagon.

I don't understand it. Why they'd put their tournament life at stake so early on, often with medium or marginal holdings.

My guess is, these folks and the people who play very aggressive with a wide range early on, are used to playing hyper-turbo's or something.

So, I generally start tight and evaluate my table, and adjust to how they're playing. If they zig, I zag.

Still haven't gotten used to the LAG style, but I'm seeing how effective it can be when executed intelligently.

D

demacedo6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament I'm pretty tight and when the blinds are higher start playing more aggressively.

L

leon_fush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play aggressively,this is my personal opinion but also know when to stop,watch opponents ' style of their game,understand when you need to re-raise when foldit all necessary measure,although I am not very aggressive))need to learn to learn and learn again

D

DB21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of the tournaments I like to play very tight, especially when playing online - because online everyone can pay your aggressiveness and get lucky on the river ;) . When playing tight, and you get 3-4 times the initial stacks, you can start playing aggressive based on the table you are on

7svetoslav

7svetoslav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early you have to be very careful what you call and for what you will give all in.
The bad thing is that im not that careful at the early phase of the tournaments, thats my mistake, im sure! Tight, tight, tight! You could read it probably in every article about the sit'n'go tournaments and simillar to them.
So at all probably thats the key to get tho the later stage of the tournament.

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggressive but always evaluating your opponent and not playing all kinds of hands

Nikolay23

Nikolay23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually play very tight in early stage of the game and get more information about opponents

Dutchtegon

Dutchtegon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tight agressive is the best way to start in tourments. This way you will have time to make sure that you can make a big stack.

nestabear

nestabear

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on what game you playing. In the freeroll games there tends to be a lot of Bingo playing for the first 2 or 3 blinds. So in that situation, the best thing to do is to tighten up & wait until you have the virtual nuts & then take the Maniacs Stacks. If you playing a buy-in tournament there seems to be a lot less crazyness, but it does still happen, especially at the lower buy-in MTT's & SnG's. I find that as the buy-in increases, there is less & less crazyness when the game is in the early stages. The best thing to do in my opinion is to tighten up for the first level or 2 & see what you up against... then you can adjust your game accordingly.

Last edited:
B

Blazed101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive but smart don't play so much to the point your getting trapped.

7svetoslav

7svetoslav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, ive read some articles about the tournament strategies and from that was written there i get that you have to be very carefull specially at some stages of the tournament. Waiting the perfect moment, playing from position, hunting the exhausted and small stacked and alot of more are the things that you have to figure before you go all in.
At all, you have to be cautious during all stages of the tournament not even early. Choosing the right cards on the preflop at the early stage is very important. The bluff isnt good choice also during the early stage, specially when you are low stack on the table.

Im practicing to be patient from about a month and it gives some results.
Im trying to play only 30% of the hands also is a good thing to follow early phase of the tournament. Sometimes the folded hands will be the winners but thats not the thing you want to achieve, its "to get into the money".
I hope i helped. :)

A

Ajax95777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never play aggresive in the beginning of a tournament. I like to work my way up, but if the tournament is re-buy or turbo i wait for realy strong hands and go aggresive.

ahil5000

ahil5000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Aggressive play at the beginning does not guarantee cashes or FT, and the probability of departure to increase, so it is better to play at the beginning of the tournament tighter and increase aggression as the blinds increase! You must take steck over 15bb :)

A

AsusTeam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament it does not have need to be aggressive in the beginning .. play more tigth if only involved with premiuns hands

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be changing your style as the Tournament progresses. When is up to you. You might be TAG early, but once you start adding antes to bigger blinds it pays to widen your range.