Play aggressive early in the tournament or stay consistent?

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning play with only premium hands only..and play very cautiously because most of the gambling takes place during this period...everyone wants to have a good chip lead at the starting...Common mistake..dont go all in with AK...just call evaluate the flop and then play accordingly

D

DzikMenel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When cards are good play agresive

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always play aggresive on the early stages and become more cautious when the blinds become higher.

Mymull

Mymull

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depend of what kind of tournament you prefer. Turbo and hyper you should play agressive and loose. Regular and slow MTT doesn't force play as wild on every hand.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on the style of tournament you are playing. The low starting chip stacks, I want to build up early, and will make moves to do so, and if I need to reenter I will. The deeper the starting stack you want to see flops for cheap and build up big pots if you can.. Goal is the same to get chips but I go about it differently depending on what style of tourney I am playing

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play aggressive monsters, the projects play carefully and trash hands not play, but would consider my position, players, etc.

cellait

cellait

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does not have an ideal form, but at the beginning of the tournament many players pay or go up all-in with any hand.
I usually play consistently aggressive when I have letters, I analyzing the players at the table and identifying them, after this identification is easier.

B

boomeranged

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should never play the set gameplay. Play loose if the table is tight, play tight if the table is loose. Observe and react, don't follow a plan.

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im usually playing tight at the beggining and paying attention to my opponents,because aggressive=a lot of bluff,raise with any hand,and im going crazy if i start to play aggressive i cant stop and i loose my stack very fast.

Mrmercurial1

Mrmercurial1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play tight but watch your opponents

It is important to play tight in the beginning, but also keep an eye on your opponents. Depending on the buy in, you will see different types of play.

For example : if you play in a freeroll, you will see a lot of people going all in with bad cards.

What happens if you have AA , and you find yourself in a position where there are 5 guys all in? From my point of view i would rather play something bigger. where players are tighter. :)

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play somewhat aggressive early, i think it is important to chip up so you can afford to mix it up. when i was good at poker a long time ago, i would play tight and wait for good spots most of the time...

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the race because even small hands extended;)

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are too many unpredictable players in the beginning! Just for that reason there is the meaning to play tight. But not only for that. Since time passing you can collect some tells on people around you. It is really great help in any tournament.

cally

cally

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As many have stated it obviously depends on structure but another huge factor is the dollar amount. Micro MTT's get a lot of donk's and its usually an all-in fest to begin with. This is where you should be looking to play a larger range of hands which increase your chance to double, triple up early and then you can sit back and play your game without having to force anything.

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play veeery tight at beginning of tournament because there are so many maniacs who actually play any hand. I have never played first hand I think lol Of course if I can see cheap flop I won't fold, but otherwise - just let go of mediocre hands. :)

S

Speedcat420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In your guys opinions is it better to play aggressive early in a tournament when the blinds are going up quick or do you think you should just play the way you normally play consistently throughout the tournament?
Stay tight and play your blinds if not raised, not bad to mix it up while blinds are low though

MsNutHand

MsNutHand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my view it is better to play Tight Agressive during all the stages when the table is full and a little more Loose when the table has less players...

LoCcO_OhNo

LoCcO_OhNo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is better aggressive start and then get a good amount of chips, passive play

Finally a voice of reason.... it all depends on a few factors... what do you want out of the tournament.. win or place? field size... blind structure... what is the table like? are the players playing loose?

I find a lot of people have responded that they play tight aggressive in a slow blind structure.. and more loose in a turbo or hyper turbo... I find in a normal blind structure I like to play a loose passive game while the blinds are low and I can speculate on more hands looking for a big hand to grab a big pot and a chip lead then batten down into a tight aggressive style... mind you this is if the table I am at isn't a table of maniacs...

K

Knightdyce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play tight at all stages of a tournament because I want to stay consistent and stay top of my games at all times. however when I am playing in a turbo tournament I am more likely to go all in with weak hands because it would be like 10 mins till u have 10 big blinds left and that panic throws me of my game of playing tight.

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first minutes very carefully until you take off all the "kamikaze"

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first minutes very carefully as there is a "kamikaze"

T

twis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For Me I usually play pretty tight only playing strong hands (AA,KK,QQ, AK) I find this lowers my chance of getting bingo'd out. Once the blinds get to lvl 4-5, I'll open up a bit and try to collect blinds in position.

B

brrrddz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your guys opinions is it better to play aggressive early in a tournament when the blinds are going up quick or do you think you should just play the way you normally play consistently throughout the tournament?

Hi man. i believe...with both ways. adjust in your opponents and play them as u think is more +EV.

Awrpze

Awrpze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consistency for sure. I let people bully each other and stack off against one another, especially in micro level tourneys. It's also advantageous because people will pay me off with less than ideal holdings due to some of the outrageous play that is out there.

Mind you, I would take a more aggressive approach during turbos, and hyper-turbos if I played them a bit more. I'm too cautious and get blinded out a fair a bit playing them.

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And so it seems to me better to play consistent, so at least can and can proskachit above)