Patience in Tournaments

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it is not a perfect tactic, but I like to register on tournaments such as 55 progressive KO just before the reg period is closed. That way, I will have less chips then average, but all it takes is one double up. By having a bounty on my head and with some big stacks on the table, my range of preflop all ins is bigger. Therefore, you can get an average stack while well into the tournament, which gives you a kind of psychological advantage since you haven't been playing for the last 2.5 hours for example.

Spieler

Spieler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it is not a perfect tactic, but I like to register on tournaments such as 55 progressive KO just before the reg period is closed. That way, I will have less chips then average, but all it takes is one double up. By having a bounty on my head and with some big stacks on the table, my range of preflop all ins is bigger. Therefore, you can get an average stack while well into the tournament, which gives you a kind of psychological advantage since you haven't been playing for the last 2.5 hours for example.

yes but in most situations (when the field is big, like 1k+ players) after 2hrs of play, there are at least 10-20% players with big stacks and if you aim high for the final table, that may cause the problem. as you have to push yourself with allins to get some chips.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of really solid advice already given and good perspectives. This is my advice for what it is worth:

A5o in early position for me is almost always a "no go" unless i am to be BB next hand and only have about 3bb anyhow - kind of leaves me with no choice. Anyhow - also really depends on the players at your table and how they are playing their game....

Last night i "cashed" in two of the step 1 Venom freerolls and one the hands that set me up to do it was 33's - my table was fairly tight aggressive so i was in the BB with my pocket 3s sittin on about 14bb's and mp raises, the button jams and had me covered - our original raiser only has about 12bb's or so and has went to showdown with alot of big ace's as well as our dealer...both of them playing the top of their range so heavily - i decided i hope they are holding each others outs and this is my chance - i let it fly and sure enough AQo vs AKo vs my little 33s - board runs out safely, i scoop a nice pot late in the tourni and am able to make a deep run from there to finish 5th overall when the 113 player pool mark was reached.

Anyhow, hope that example was helpful. For me I would much rather be shoving 89s - 55 - A10o + from early position. A5 suited is definitely a push for me from early - its good strategy to call with a big stack from the BB with marginal mediocre hands because people in a "short stack" position will definitely shove light and its worth the risk. If i am 50bb deep and you shove 8 or less into me with blinds being high and antes involved - i will snap call you with 10 8 off and 9 10off - hell sometimes something as loose as K3 suited - again depends on the player and depends on stack sizing, etc. But looking at it, A8s vs 9To is still a 60/40 hand so its not a terrible spot to be in for the bigger stack.

In summary - for myself - when i am short and in a bad spot i try to shove what makes me feel like i have the best chance with instead of what push-fold strategy tells me to. Id much rather shove 56 offsuit into a table of tighter players just hoping if i get called, that my cards are live and i stand a much less like chance of being dominated with cards that are not so strong. A5 could easily be dominated at a TAG table as well as most other Ax combos below AJ.

Anyways, thats my take on the situation. Was your shove a bad move? Maybe, maybe not - depends on your table and how you felt. At the end of the day the point of this game to make you a winning player is to get your money in good - long term results will be good. You got your stack in good even though you were at risk - cant ask for much more than that. He couldve called you with A7 off and had you in very bad shape. For me, i think even though you got knocked out - you should try and be proud A5 was good there preflop. Keep grinding and keep your head up.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
when you have few bb, sometimes you should take risks, maybe you could have a little more patience, but sometimes it happens that the cards never finish convincing and seeing an A, it is thought that this card can help in something, usually the chip leaders usually pay any all in of players who have few bb

KidPoker116

KidPoker116

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
with A5o it was a good fold. Since it makes no sense to wait for the best hand, the blinds would eat you. Do not worry, it's just a freeroll, they go every day. I had a case on the 11th Sunday storm. I first played and played a bit of chips. Then I got stuck in the elevator and there was no internet, my stack ate the blinds well enough. When I came home after a while I got QQ, I raised and four called me, I was glad that I would increase my stack four times. The flop comes out 262 I am very happy about this flop realizing that no one got him I raise, the boy goes allin, I don’t think to call and he has AA, and then I took off from the tournament and was very disappointed and lost about $ 5.:help:

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have also had the issue of playing more hands than I should and not be as patient. Lately I have been thinking more and more and using position and pot odds more often.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience

Doesn't matter how well you play or how patient you are. If the cards fall in the other guys favor there's nothing you can do. I got knocked out waiting for an hour to finally get a ok hand on the button. Q,10 of hearts. Flop comes out k,j,8h. With three people in hand I'm thinking maybe a straight flush could come. No one bet to me so I bet 1/4 of my stack and they both call. 5 clubs comes on the turn I bet all my little chips. One folds and the other calls. He has a,9 hearts no chance of a straight flush for me. That's how I lose every tourney. So don't feel special.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the play in early position. With the big stack yet to speak and lurking a lot of players will fold to your shove if they have to act in front of the big stack. That gives the big stack a chance to call with just about any two cards. If you were in late position and the big stack had folded now you are in a much better position to shove and win the blinds.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not keep quiet when I see my chances of steal blinds, it's just very hard for me, although sometimes I can stand up to an hour of pulling and pushing I finally give in to the pressure and stay out of the winning places.

The ACR freerolls have become practically torture for me with all that they last.

rodolforrl

rodolforrl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I with 7bb and shove sure to avoid getting in a complicated situation

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just look at some push fold charts when you are that low, the game becomes very easy then.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is no big money jump in that stage of the tournament. I would push any A with 7bb

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Ahh, I got knocked out the CC freeroll tonight.

I was down to 7bb and was dealt A5o in early position so I shoved all in. Chip leader with 46bb called me with 108o. Board was 498J6 rainbow. This seems to happen all the time in tourneys.

Was this a good move since I had a low chip stack or should I have been more patient and waited for a better hand to shove?

I would wait for the best cards

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When short-stacked, I don't like pushing with weak Ax hands from EP. I prefer to push with something like 87s because many people will call you with any Ax and you would then most likely be dominated. From LP, I'm more likely to push with the weak Ax. However, in this case, you were down to 7BB so I would have done the same. If you were at 10BB and could let the blinds go by one more time, then I'd wait for a better situation.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you did anything wrong, as was stated earlier you "...got in good .." and just lost a coin flip.

My perspective (not in the heat of the game ofc), with 7bb left you have maybe 4-5m value (guessing) nothing wrong with the call. If you wait for better position maybe you get garbage and blind out anyway. Maybe you get better cards, no way to know.

P

PeedroZack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the play was good from both, cause you was correct to shove this hand and according of him stack he calls was good!!

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is standard I think, because you had only 7 BB and your hand was acceptable for an all in

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Sometimes you have to take chances with cards of that type, especially if you have the pressure of the blinds and the leaders who always try to take advantage of the weakest or those with the least chips, suddenly you could have waited a bit, but having patience and waiting many times is not a guarantee, as I said at the beginning, sometimes you have to take risks and hope that good fortune goes with you

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am sure that patience is a key factor for a successful game and good results. Without a doubt, if you are more patient, you can get much better results.
Good luck.

N

nomorkevm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh, I got knocked out the CC freeroll tonight.

I was down to 7bb and was dealt A5o in early position so I shoved all in. Chip leader with 46bb called me with 108o. Board was 498J6 rainbow. This seems to happen all the time in tourneys.

Was this a good move since I had a low chip stack or should I have been more patient and waited for a better hand to shove?

I would have waited another round and until I was at least in position. I think shoving with 8-10 BB left is the right move though.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From early position A5o is a fold, despite
your stack 7 bb.
In Cardchat tournaments, the effective stack is usually 15-18 bb, so in these tournaments you will often have a small stack

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all learn on our mistakes, like your A5o in the early position. Just remember for the next time when they come