Patience in Tournaments

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh, I got knocked out the CC freeroll tonight.

I was down to 7bb and was dealt A5o in early position so I shoved all in. Chip leader with 46bb called me with 108o. Board was 498J6 rainbow. This seems to happen all the time in tourneys.

Was this a good move since I had a low chip stack or should I have been more patient and waited for a better hand to shove?

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when your down like that its a hard decision to make but folding would have been the better move:0) but shoot depending on the circumstance I would of did the same thing:0) Better luck next time and keep grinding:0)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I was down to 7bb and was dealt A5o in early position so I shoved all in. Chip leader with 46bb called me with 108o. Board was 498J6 rainbow. This seems to happen all the time in tourneys.

Was this a good move since I had a low chip stack or should I have been more patient and waited for a better hand to shove?
with 7BB I really think it was a good move, you have A5 expect a better hand can bring as a consequence that the few chips you have left decrease more and if you get something better, your stack still way below, for that reason I think that was a good move, maybe I'm totally wrong with this but I think I would have done the same

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when your down like that its a hard decision to make but folding would have been the better move:0) but shoot depending on the circumstance I would of did the same thing:0) Better luck next time and keep grinding:0)

I think you're right. I get fatigued sometimes and lose focus in tourneys more so than cash games, lose patience and shove all in with average hands.

I was also hungry before I started so that probably played a part as well.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with 7BB I really think it was a good move, you have A5 expect a better hand can bring as a consequence that the few chips you have left decrease more and if you get something better, you are still way below your stack, for that reason I think that was a good move, maybe I'm totally wrong with this but I think I would have done the same

That's what I was thinking too. But I guess it could have gone either way 50/50. If it was a more important tourney or satty, then maybe I would have folded to try and stay alive. But at the same time, I don't think that's a bad hand to shove with a low chip stack.

R1temp

R1temp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in early position I wouldn't do that. I think we should have waited.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

No I think it's completely standard. I don't know of the action leading up to it but maybe should have shoved a little sooner with more bb's. Sometimes we wait too long and whittle bb's away and lose our fold equity waiting for an ace or good suited broadway cards. But if you were first in the pot with 7 bb with A5 shipping is definitely the standard play.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I think it's completely standard. I don't know of the action leading up to it but maybe should have shoved a little sooner with more bb's. Sometimes we wait too long and whittle bb's away and lose our fold equity waiting for an ace or good suited broadway cards. But if you were first in the pot with 7 bb with A5 shipping is definitely the standard play.

I took a bad beat some hands earlier. I had pocket jacks vs his A9. He hit his 9 on the flop and shoved all in. I call and he hit his Ace on the turn and doubled up. :rolleyes: I never recovered after that.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens all the time with me, a player with a big stack calls and wins with any cards. I prefer not to bet everything when there is a big stack in the blinds and I don’t play against big stacks without having the best hand.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens all the time with me, a player with a big stack calls and wins with any cards. I prefer not to bet everything when there is a big stack in the blinds and I don’t play against big stacks without having the best hand.
Hi, it is true that happens to everyone in that case but it is precisely what we are looking for that he calls with a mediocre hand in order to increase our stack. I repeat maybe I'm wrong but that's what I do in these cases

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a standard MTT scenario where you got it in good on one hand earlier and lost. Then, short stacked, you decided to gamble it up a bit.

I think theory* would say this is marginally a fold in early position with 7 BBs and an ante.

Did the early beat affect your decision? Were you near the bubble? You also state that you weren't too concerned about this tourney and had other minor issues that made you take this line of play.

All in all, it doesn't seems like a terrible play, but it might be less than optimal play. I've done the same, but I do worry that it might make me take on bad habits or attitudes. However, your post here indicates you are on top of the situation; so all to the good.

Upshot, you didn't lose any money. Maybe extra time to min cash isn't worth the effort. OTOH, we all need practice - a bit of this a bit of that.

* I only consulted tables for convenience and didn't run an ICM, so my take on the situation needs to be further evaluated.

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The decision to shove a hand or to pay a shove preflop from a rival is one of the most important in a tournament, as the shove basically defines his life in the game.

We usually define short stacks when we have less than 7 or 8 big blinds, turbo tournament for example, or 10 to 12 big blinds in regular tournaments. Of course it's not a comfortable stack in regular tournaments, but it's a stack that still allows us to maneuver, like a mini-raise / fold.

We should also consider how much our stack can hurt the other players at the table, this information is important because if most of the players are deep (with lots of chips), the chance of them paying their all in "just to see" or thinking " it will not cost much, will I eliminate it "is higher (which can be good, if we are with a strong hand, but this also makes us prone to take more bad beats, as it was in your case, but I would have taken the same decision...

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the end I always prefer to shake my game. For me A5 is a good hand but I prefer to avoid paying too much to see this flop especially close to the goal.

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i play tournaments, sometimes i have like 20-30 hands when i get dealted a hand that noone plays. That means you lose some of ur chip stack by blinds + antes. Yesterday when i played CC freeroll same happend. Then i waited for good hand to shove rest of my chips. Lost with AK. Waiting for good hand to shove ur chips is good, but that doesnt guarantee your win.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did the right thing, but you just had no luck with the opponent. He had a big stack and he did not risk anything to remove you from the table.

rocketbox

rocketbox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play more aggressively

Having a short stack in any tournament sucks, but you've got to learn to deal with it. Don't let yourself get hung up on this exact hand. That the chip leader called you from position with a garbage hand and he hit on the turn, ...well, that sucks but don't let it get you down. Besides, even if you'd won that pot you'd have 14-16 BB and you'd be forced to shove again soon after.

I say play more aggressively. When you make a hand in these freeroll tournaments, get your chips in there! Players will call off their entire stack with 2nd pair or worse! Don't be afraid to "scare someone out of the pot" when you have a big hand. Get the chips in good and you'll have more power down the line.

Do NOT wait for big hands to come to you. I'm not saying "play any two." I'm saying that you've got to have a wider range in these freeroll tournaments in order to realize your equity. Get in there and bet! Jam with two pair on the flop. Jam with a made flush. Jam whenever you've got something juicy where another player can call with worse. Build your stack and you won't have to worry about getting it in with 7BB.

Good luck!!

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That's the thing, I also do not have enough patience to wait, I play too many hands, and so quickly take off from the tournament.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a standard MTT scenario where you got it in good on one hand earlier and lost. Then, short stacked, you decided to gamble it up a bit.

I think theory* would say this is marginally a fold in early position with 7 BBs and an ante.

Did the early beat affect your decision? Were you near the bubble? You also state that you weren't too concerned about this tourney and had other minor issues that made you take this line of play.

All in all, it doesn't seems like a terrible play, but it might be less than optimal play. I've done the same, but I do worry that it might make me take on bad habits or attitudes. However, your post here indicates you are on top of the situation; so all to the good.

Upshot, you didn't lose any money. Maybe extra time to min cash isn't worth the effort. OTOH, we all need practice - a bit of this a bit of that.

* I only consulted tables for convenience and didn't run an ICM, so my take on the situation needs to be further evaluated.

Yeah, it definitely made me play more nitty. In a good way though, I had an A7o before, decided not to play it and would have lost and been eliminated right then and there since someone had AK with an Ace on the board. I also had an A6o a few hands before that I also didn't play; those aren't great hands to play anyways so I was just waiting for the right hand to shove at that point.

I think I was eliminated pretty early on away from the bubble, like 50th place or something; I might have folded if I was closer to the bubble.

But yeah, definitely didn't lose anything which is good; I just wanted to know if I made the right decision for future reference if I find myself in a similar situation in a real money mtt. You're right, practice never hurts, that's why I'm always seeking advice here and everywhere else I can to improve my game.

I got you, thanks for the input. I need to learn and study ICM myself.

The decision to shove a hand or to pay a shove preflop from a rival is one of the most important in a tournament, as the shove basically defines his life in the game.

We usually define short stacks when we have less than 7 or 8 big blinds, turbo tournament for example, or 10 to 12 big blinds in regular tournaments. Of course it's not a comfortable stack in regular tournaments, but it's a stack that still allows us to maneuver, like a mini-raise / fold.

We should also consider how much our stack can hurt the other players at the table, this information is important because if most of the players are deep (with lots of chips), the chance of them paying their all in "just to see" or thinking " it will not cost much, will I eliminate it "is higher (which can be good, if we are with a strong hand, but this also makes us prone to take more bad beats, as it was in your case, but I would have taken the same decision...

Yeah, I figure he or the other deep chip stack was gonna call me since it costed them next to nothing. I guess the lesson is to avoid being short stacked which is hard because of the variance in mtts.

You need to look at 'push-fold charts'.
these charts claim to have the best odds (given position and ante, including icm effects).
I found in cc freerolls, need to be a bit more tight, depending how oppoonents play.

Yeah, I downloaded a few and have been studying some. Looking at one titled 'Pushing Ranges 10bb', A5o was not highlighted under the 'UTG+1' chart, so I guess it was not the right play? Or maybe I'm reading the chart wrong.

at the end I always prefer to shake my game. For me A5 is a good hand but I prefer to avoid paying too much to see this flop especially close to the goal.

That's usually how I am. I wasn't close to the bubble in this scenario.

You did the right thing, but you just had no luck with the opponent. He had a big stack and he did not risk anything to remove you from the table.

Yeah, that's what it seemed like.

If i play tournaments, sometimes i have like 20-30 hands when i get dealted a hand that noone plays. That means you lose some of ur chip stack by blinds + antes. Yesterday when i played CC freeroll same happend. Then i waited for good hand to shove rest of my chips. Lost with AK. Waiting for good hand to shove ur chips is good, but that doesnt guarantee your win.

That's true, playing to passive will get you eliminated quick.

Having a short stack in any tournament sucks, but you've got to learn to deal with it. Don't let yourself get hung up on this exact hand. That the chip leader called you from position with a garbage hand and he hit on the turn, ...well, that sucks but don't let it get you down. Besides, even if you'd won that pot you'd have 14-16 BB and you'd be forced to shove again soon after.

I say play more aggressively. When you make a hand in these freeroll tournaments, get your chips in there! Players will call off their entire stack with 2nd pair or worse! Don't be afraid to "scare someone out of the pot" when you have a big hand. Get the chips in good and you'll have more power down the line.

Do NOT wait for big hands to come to you. I'm not saying "play any two." I'm saying that you've got to have a wider range in these freeroll tournaments in order to realize your equity. Get in there and bet! Jam with two pair on the flop. Jam with a made flush. Jam whenever you've got something juicy where another player can call with worse. Build your stack and you won't have to worry about getting it in with 7BB.

Good luck!!

Thanks good advice! This is usually how I approach my sessions but whenever I get hit with a bad beat like I did earlier, it's usually not long until I'm out of the tourney. I try to play aggressive with marginal hands and in position as much as possible. I'll even bluff steal a pot every now and then. Widening your range can definitely help get you deeper in mtts if you play them right.

Thanks again, I'll continue grinding and playing aggressively and not let this affect my game in the least. Good luck as well!

I think it played right, your opponent was lucky to have hit 8 on the board, I would play the same way.

Yeah he definitely did but I think he made the right play as well since it didn't cost him much to take me out of the tourney.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

first I think it is a good move at the point of 5 BB to push on the other hand A5 is not that good because every ace would call you and with 5 you are behind.
hard decision i would have done the same i think

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience & concentration

We must have patience and discipline to play the best in every game but always taking into account the opponent's game and the number of big blinds to play in position and with good hands but if it gets too short the game is always more difficult to play with good hands and managing the number of big blinds above 20 BB's in my opinion

:jd4:mateuspoker

DieCosta

DieCosta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patient is always the key

Hi mate! I won yesterday the freeroll CC and believe me to me this tournament was full the ups and downs first 2 hours I was playing deep with more tha 50BB but after suffering a big bead Whit QQ against KJ of Flop 5J5 player though was ahead and push in the flop I called and the river....Another J LoL :dancing2:pokerstars magic...:idea:after this hand i get down to 8BB :( so I did try to survive picking the correct shove to still and win pots . So you can do the same . Good luck on the tables .

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all-in with any hands will be a right decision having only 7bb, don't wait for such the moments, that's too tight playing..