Is living off freerolls possible?

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can build a good bench, and then grow little by little, I think it is possible because there are many free tournaments and with patience you can achieve it.

T

The_Gurl_Likes_Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In an alternate reality where the players play poker at a freeroll...yes, it is possible. If the other poker sites are anything like 888 poker, the players are fanatical and chronic, delusional and embarrassing - in the degree to which it is like a frenzied childs play room with players in constant 6-9 handed multi pot indiscriminate non intelligent knee jerk all in. Thats not poker-its recklessness, so in that environment,...I dont think so.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Is living off freerolls possible?

I don't know if it's possible but I'm managing to put a large volume of games with only freerolls...

I have been playing several tournaments every day with zero investment and making the money.

List of houses I play:

pokerstars
party poker
natural8
Americas CardRoom
bodog
Betfair
888Poker

And the main advantage I see in playing freeroll is that there is no negative psychological effect of losing with tournament entries. And you'll be able to test plays that you wouldn't normally make in paid games.

In other words, playing freeroll is a great way to study and train, as well as being the most cost-effective for those just starting out.

:D :D :D

Like you said, freerolls are less stressful, don't cost you anything and you can test plays you wouldn't dare test when you have money invested. On top of everything, they offer the valuable risk-free opportunity of making some money.
Your question might seem easy to answer, but it's not. In fact, "No way" could be a quick answer and "yeah, possible" could be another.
Mathematically, it's not impossible to live off of freerolls. All you have to do is win consistently providing that you don't live in an expensive country. But winning consistently in poker would definitely require some very special skills. And that's why I didn't want to answer your question in the first place : Why would someone waste such special skills on freerolls ?

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Still seems pretty impossible to live off of freerolls... top prize is usually what, 10 bucks? You'd have to win several a day to see any real money, even in low cost of living areas.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends your area, cost of living,
but i would assume it's not possible, maybe good to start a bankroll with nothing to lose,
however you do lose on time.
Starting with $100 vs getting to $100 from freerolls and continuing from there is a big chunk of time lost.
So i guess it depends on what you value.
I play freerolls because i just like to see showdowns, nothing major gained, nothing lost, but good distraction on the side while i do some work

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, it is not possible to make significant money from freerolls. Freerolls are just good for getting started with learning poker. But if I may suggest you don’t play this kind of game for too long, because it can be detrimental to your later style of play. Freeroll players don't take the game really seriously, precisely because they don't risk anything, so they get into a party with cards that would be discarded by any sane player.

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that without a decent bankroll, playing poker cannot replace constant earnings, and in freerolls the winnings are not constant and are too small.

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they do not have enough GTD to live of them but they can allow you to earn a good bankroll to play tournaments and you can live out of poker if you are good enough

LitPavel

LitPavel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I manage to earn a little money from winning freerolls, but this is very rare)

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could check out Chris Furgeson challengee from 0-10k it is possible.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think one can make a good living off freerolls. But one with skill can certainly build a solid bank roll from free rolls and play min stakes tournaments and probably win some money to get established. Personally, I play mostly low stakes tournaments and I play the CardsChat games because I love the site and the competition of the leaderboard. I have been working on my game and the CardsChat winnings have enabled me to play higher and I now have a solid online bank roll. With good bank roll management I have been able to become a profitable player.

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think not, there are very few of them and the prize there is not always big. and you can't always win either, so you still need to work

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So far I haven't been able to make a living from freerolls. The winnings in freerolls are too small to live on.

Robbert_ro

Robbert_ro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you can start building a bankroll with free rolls. once you got the cash, register to small buy-in tournaments. thats how i started a long, long time ago.

Freeroll Passwords