Limping

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket pairs in mtt's? 55- are these playable hands? Should we be opening with these hands and just folding to missed set? As we only hit a set like 12% of the time isn't it more profitable to open limp with 55- folding the flop if missed set and raising the flop when we have made a set plus hiding our high value hand more?

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp-preflop just rich for moron players, it's good moove if you want take float.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp-preflop just rich for moron players, it's good moove if you want take float.

Hey, who are you to call someone moron? Just russian style!!!!
Better learn poker, fish, and make some full information thread, not little insult post!!!!!

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't open limp.

If you're going to open limp/fold to a raise, just fold it preflop.
If you're going open limp/call a raise, just open raise it preflop.

Overlimping is fine in late position.

My current ITM for MTT's is sitting around 15% considering its only a small sample as I've only recently tried converting over to mtt's is this good or bad whats the average ITM for these games?

tororoimo

tororoimo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It has been plagued by limp

Although I have been afflicted with a limp, what can I call or raise with any hand range?

Situation is the end of the tournament. When called to move the all-in AJs + to limp it is often lose came out pocket pair.

Last edited:
Roadie

Roadie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hardly ever limped in, then about a month ago I decided to try a few and have won a few more tournaments. Depending on the table it seems to get more chips in the pot.
Nothing worse than getting your pocket A's beat by some clown with a 9-3 off :eek:

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah open limping seems like a much stronger move within heads up play maybe not MTT's

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping behind other players is fine early with hands that have the potential to flop monsters or nutted hands postflop..

the main way i use limping in mtt is when the blinds are high, and i'm in the SB facing a passive call heavy type player who folds a lot postflop

OR

if i'm facing an aggressive player in the blinds and i'm testing to see what he does vs limpers (some aggressive opponants will be passive vs limping as they see no reward in terms of chips out there.) or to trap a hyper aggressive player.

any other time you want to be coming in for raises, but there's certainly other rare times when i will do it in other positions, but mainly it's from the SB.

UpUpAway

UpUpAway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the field, the table of play and position for example limping or min raise close to the button is acceptable, middle and early position I would say it's only acceptable early tournament with not so aggressive players.

D

diegoduran

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May as well shove if your floating around 10 bigs deeper into tourneys, get better equity. Limp in the small with big hands aa - kk - 99's etc.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's everyone's standard open raise? 3x?

P

PokermodusON

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My open raise depends on stack depths, if im pretty deep stacked 3x raise is fine if im not as deep stacked smaller opens are fine aswell in my opinion.

Limping is a good way to go if you dont want to play a to big pot but i mostly use it only short handed if the opponent tends to raise much because you can see a flop way cheaper even if you call his raise.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages you typically want to raise bigger to juice the pot up. So anything from 2.5 to 4x.

In the later stages you typically want to raise less as you will be wanting to conserve chips as much as possible the stack sizes are lower so even a min raise puts pressure on players. So anything from 2 to 2.5x is fine..

The actual raise size you choose doesnt matter too much as long as long as you are within those general guidelines.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Wizzim helpful as usual! Yeah my raising sizes are around these so I think I'm ok.

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just never limp with pair i calling small raise or raising small pairs but never use limp.

K

klickitat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is proper to limp when you have some aggro sitting to your left when you are in late middle position or early late position. This is especially true when you have a top hand and you know the aggro is going to raise. Also when with good middle suited connectors or small pairs where you want a lot of people in the pot and you need the odds to make the limp bet hoping to hit on the flop. Many times I am looking for a 7:1 or better in these cases.

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't open limp.

If you're going to open limp/fold to a raise, just fold it preflop.
If you're going open limp/call a raise, just open raise it preflop.

Overlimping is fine in late position.

spot on! nothing more, nothing less. limping will always seem weak and encourage your opponents to be active more without knowing what you have. especially if you have aa, you will never be able to guess your opponent's hand and that's super awkward

rflbarreto

rflbarreto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with theevildub here. Try to limp only with low pocket pairs. Do not limp with premium hands because the story could end with a similar result what SuzdalDEcor described some lines above.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never limp. Just never do it! Only if you on bb or sb and you have garbige just check or call for some odds. Many times i saw how people with aces, kings or AK limp, play with an half yable and just broken. Some player on the table assured me that limp-fold is the best strategy, I really laugh with them :D This is an easy way to lose your money:)

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even when you had low pocket pairs do minimum raise x2-2.5, many time saw when with limp player catch set and another player caught the straight :D

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think an easy way to do it is.....you can limp pp when you have 30x the limp amt in your stack

H

hopsing911

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When my nephew started teaching me how to play, explaining all about the mechanics of the game & value & strength of cards. I would just call or you might say limp. The second day he put a tape on the call button. My only option was fold or raise. :D That was supper tough. I had to think. After watching some guys play in MTT's & reviewing it I learned something that is profitable during middle or late in the tourney. Watching the table dynamics who is ansy, shortstacked, aggro, wants to double up. Limp in utg or mp w/ aa kk is raelly good. I have only used it 4 times & worked every time.

Enjoy & Good luck

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like it either UNLESS I have a marginal hand and there are several limpers (2 or more) behind

HowS

HowS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think limping is pretty bad in general, but in freerolls you have to bet 10x BB for other players to fold their donk hands, sometimes when I have a suited hand I might just limp if the table mostly limps, it gives me the right price to limp.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think limping is pretty bad in general, but in freerolls you have to bet 10x BB for other players to fold their donk hands.
Why do you want players to fold their bad hands? If anything you should be raising big with strong hands for value knowing that bad players will call with bad hands.