Limping

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO This only works on freerolls. A normal player will do raise you with AJs+, AQo+, 99+. So if on the board there is something T+ you cant do conbet. Noone believes you T+. You are depriving yourself of bluff on flop + you spend same money when you raised the first.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will limp early since the blinds are low. Usually limp with small pp or A - rag.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think its okay to limp in late position with low pair or low connectors when nobody has raised the pot.
i limped 23suited from the small blind in a cash game this weekend and got paid off big when the flop came 236 and turned another 3, especially because i had a tight enough image that my opponent never even dreamed that i had either the two or the three let alone both. i think in a tournament, your stack size determines how often you can limp. obviously if youre short, you have to be very selective even with limping. but if your deep you can get away with limping some speculative hands here and there.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Never limp with hands like AA KK QQ JJ always open with them to avoid getting called by suited connectors, and the guy gets lucky on the board with a s8 or a flush, always open big with those hands to make lay down those small cards, but sometimes players get stubborn and they do call and get lucky, limping is for weak hands, small pocket pairs, hands like KT, A with anything below T, QJ, KJ, and for suited connectors, afer u see the flop u continue playing according to it, and thats it :D

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
every strategy is legit but limping is expected in situation when player is not assured in quality of his hand

M

mwlucian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost never limp, it gives away too much information about the strength of your hand. Maybe you can do it against an aggro BB when you are in the SB but other than that I don't do it much

danndourado

danndourado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I use as a bait to a super agressive player, but without love to cards. I think as a strategy, thinking about his open range, position, etc. Never as a recipe to easy chips.

M

meltdown

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping only works with many people involved in the hand.. otherwise, 9 times out of 10, you don't make value, or when you decide to bet, they'll just fold. best is to limp with a large group

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As mentioned it depend who You oponents are. Sometimes limping is just loosing money.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I limp with low pairs and also with a wide range of hands if I have really good position and there are a lot of limpers in the pot. With position I might be able to win with a bluff or 2 even if I miss the flop

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate limping above the all moves. I really don't know why.
Maybe I hate SLOW PLAY also, and limp is a part of slow play...hm...

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
https://www.facebook.com/remy.angeoudemon/videos/790049677754811/

Don't open limp.

If you're going to open limp/fold to a raise, just fold it preflop.
If you're going open limp/call a raise, just open raise it preflop.

Overlimping is fine in late position.

This was a SpnG (I know these are diff to tourneys, just a classic example why you don't limp) the guy was raising and shoving most hands that I folded to and then he limped.

Never limp, it's better to win the blinds.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/18725163_D72651D16B

:top:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL. Nice flop....

but I don't mind villain's limp with QQ either. HU it's a bit different as getting really strong cards PF doesn't happen often and to get value for the hand, sometimes it's ok to limp big hands HU and let your opponent start the action preflop or call and hit a piece on the board. Unlucky for him, you flopped the nut straight.

But yeah, when that happens, you're usually thinking "I should've raise". Though, I don't think anyone is fold A5 HU...

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
LOL. Nice flop....

but I don't mind villain's limp with QQ either. HU it's a bit different as getting really strong cards PF doesn't happen often and to get value for the hand, sometimes it's ok to limp big hands HU and let your opponent start the action preflop or call and hit a piece on the board. Unlucky for him, you flopped the nut straight.

But yeah, when that happens, you're usually thinking "I should've raise". Though, I don't think anyone is fold A5 HU...

Just a min raise would have got me out of that hand, I don't mind a limp with QQ, everyone loves to set a trap, but I have been caught out just like in the boom hand too many times that I at least make a standard 3x bet now that most people call these bets anyway so it's like limping just with a bigger pot pre flop.

:top:

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just think eliminating open limps period is the way to go. Limping behind with hands that play well multi-way is fine but if it's on me to open with those type hands it is going to be a raise or fold.

R

ResNonVerbra

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its good enough to limp

Can someone explain to me during an mtt when is acceptable to open limp and limping behind, I rarely limp and when I do I feel I'm not using it correctly.

Its good enough to raise

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
open limping only works in free rolls.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im only limping to trap those aggresive villians.
Maybe from a late position its ok, but once again, only for isolation purposes.

T

TargetLion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not agree that is bad way to limp AA or KK.Sometimes you have to limp to hide power of your hand or ones want to invite somebody to the port.
Second I think playing cash you should limp less times such strong hands.

F

Foldemz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When not to limp:

If you are first to act or it folded to you (open-limp)
If you have a great,good, or even marginal hand
If you have a bad hand

When to limp:

When there are tons of limps in front of you giving you insane odds to call with a marginal hand (maybe something like 6:1)
Sometimes set-mining small pairs in an already limped pot.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When not to limp:

If you are first to act or it folded to you (open-limp)
If you have a great,good, or even marginal hand
If you have a bad hand

When to limp:

When there are tons of limps in front of you giving you insane odds to call with a marginal hand (maybe something like 6:1)
Sometimes set-mining small pairs in an already limped pot.

So if you have something like QJoff or J10suited UTG, should you open raise? Those are hands I would open limp with if I was first to act (depending on table dynamics if course) Anything stronger I would open raise

O

Out2Lunch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to keep my limping to a minimum, but as stated, you want to be set mining small pocket pairs and limping some suited connectors with some suited ace rags to potentially hit a nutted flop or turn. Open limping is not great, better to be in position.

F

Foldemz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if you have something like QJoff or J10suited UTG, should you open raise? Those are hands I would open limp with if I was first to act (depending on table dynamics if course) Anything stronger I would open raise

If you're in any kind of MTT where you value the outcome then both of those are folds.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always limp with pockets if everyone folds to me, I need to quit that chit..lol

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some times to limp, but I will inform you of the best time to limp. If your table is super aggressive OR you have a super aggressive player on your table then limp & just HOPE that the aggressive player limps then punish his aggressiveness.