Late registration in Tournaments

dolchinkov

dolchinkov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Smart idea. Early on people are chomping at the bit to do an allin, so entering a little later after a tournament might avoid some of these unneeded heads up battles early on. I like going in later when the blinds are higher, and so when I go in when not a blind I get rewarded. Early in a game when blinds are 15, 30 I do not get rewarded as well.

I think We are talking about buy-in tournaments,not for freerolls!And in this line of thinking,try to finish early small tourney like 36,180 or 360 people or some kind like this. Server just never let you do this,until your time is coming.I tried several times and I'm shooting, when a tournament ends for about an hour and a half, he just could not do before, even if you're the chip leader!
I want to hear some pro opinion,thanks!

dolchinkov

dolchinkov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is better to register at the beginning of the tournament and just sit and wait for good cards and study of opponents!

i like this is The best strategy -this is poker!!:albertein

D

DesolateOne

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would rather register early and try to be one of the big stacks than on the bubble

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i regularly late reg. its doesnt really affect my game much. my push fold game is top form. though i dont usually reg that late unless its a rebuy. i quite like the blinds being alittle higher when i start playing

E

erkiask

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes late reg is good when you missed to reg tournament on right time.

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early or late

I think early reg is best if you are a good player. Early in sng or tourneys there are many bad players whose chips you can get. Later the pool of players should be better and harder to beat consistantly. Also, later in the game blinds are much higher and can eat up your stack quickly.

C

ColinM03

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
late Reg'ed for 2 tourneys today and within 10 minutes of registering I was basically short stacked after folding a blind. had to get it in with 10s and lost a flip vs AJs, so I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon.

I think you should just take advantage of the extra time to try and bust some people with speculative hands (who knows maybe you will get AA or KK in that time and get it in preflop against a bad player who wants a gamble) so you will actually have a stack by the time the blinds start getting up there.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what tournaments you are talking about the turbo's and hyper's you want to register on time to try to take advantage, but usually I will enter regular deepstacks within the last level, and look for my hand to make my move. I have final tabled so much when entering in the last moments. I often wonder if I registered early how much of a stack would I have, but you alos run the risk of losing early as well...

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have an edge on the field you should register as early as you can to get in as many hands as you can and maximise your edge.

I agree. I use this approach. I feel this is a better strategy for success. Good luck.

S

srissofredi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm neither pro or agains. Sometimes I register late, never for tactical reasons. I always look at the blind-size and av. stack to motivate a late by-in.

S

srissofredi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have an edge on the field you should register as early as you can to get in as many hands as you can and maximise your edge.

How do you determine if you have an edge on the field?

rogerdelpk

rogerdelpk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i remember i once won a tournament in pokerstars the $11 deepstacks registering on the very last minute of late reg.............but i dont like to do that usually.

W

whoami

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often late register to tournaments because I don't think that it affects the expected value of the tournament very much, but it increases my hourly rate ($/hour) as the time to play will be shorter.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i tried it tonight on blackchip for oss tournament was re enter and did reenter and won my money back buy in. I was there for last two rounds only. I had a shot got a bad beat for some serious chips and went out 70th with 99 paying. I won 22 cents on a 52 cent buy in.

22 extra cents lol.
won 75 cents so guess 23 cents lol. Anyway it worked out was 176 people left in game when joined. I am gonna try this more often in future blinds were 200-400 and 5000 chips so thought had a chance still if could double up a few times did get lucky caught aa finally and hit quads lol and sad part is another guy really debated coming in haha. Could have used the other 25k in chips for sure.

I wanted a win though so pushed once won money back and was going after chip leaders. I might have played differently if played entire thing and had a legit stack so is interesting.

Was a very bad beat also something like jack seven to pocket queens or something he rivered a str8 I think but is what it is cards are not kind last few days that will change.

Anyway this was first attempt at signing up late. Now I often sign up and sit out for half an hour on certain events though:)

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the idea of late registration (unless you're lazy or busy) because when you register late, you often have to face competent player with bigger stack. It is better to register early to accumulate some chips from fish.

C

Caissa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration

What's the deal with late registration. I see a lot of people doing it and advocating for it but it doesn't make sense to me. Don't your starting chips start losing value once the cards are in the air?

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always prefer early registration.Late registration is suitable for late players coming into the game IMO..

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the blind level is low or time control is slow, its still ok for late registration.

But joining from start is better since you will not miss crucial hands.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many MTTSNG players registered late when the stack is usually less 20 BB because they are badly play postflop game , but good in push/fold . They have little advantage over other MTT players....

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many MTTSNG players registered late when the stack is usually less 20 BB because they are badly play postflop game , but good in push/fold . They have little advantage over other MTT players....

I also agree with this.This situation is suitable for the super turbo/hyper reg that are used to or good with push/fold method.

JohnCPoker17

JohnCPoker17

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the blind level is low or time control is slow, its still ok for late registration.

But joining from start is better since you will not miss crucial hands.

I agree 100%. Late reg. in infrequent blind increasing tourneys is acceptable, but is slightly disadvantageous in the sense that you are missing crucial hands.

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed. That being said, I definitely see a flood of people that enter some of these tournaments with a 2 hour late registration period right at the end. I'd much rather enter early and try to build my stack while seeing crucial hands than knowing you pretty much have to double up immediately.

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late regging into some smaller tournaments is wise. Spending 2 hours in them usually doesn't pay for effort. But in larger tournaments with many satellite players, I really prefer early registration as worst players usually bust out first.

Special cases are different: in rebuy-tourneys latereg is occasionally a must due to large add-ons, and in KO-tournaments latereg is just plainly terrible.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WHat I find funny is you say you are missing crucial hands? How do you know if you register esarly you will get any hands?? I have late regged so many times and make the cash because I get the hand I need then double or triple then play poker... There is no guarantee that you will get hands one way or the other.. It just makes it easier to make a decision...

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to use the late registration as a stack received little can be done when the blinds are high