Late registration in Tournaments

L

luisexy69

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the tourney have late registration and you see that, the blinds, the prize money, players, are a good structer to bet, is ok, but if you see that all that situations are not good, maybe is better start from the begin.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Late regging into some smaller tournaments is wise. Spending 2 hours in them usually doesn't pay for effort. But in larger tournaments with many satellite players, I really prefer early registration as worst players usually bust out first.

Special cases are different: in rebuy-tourneys latereg is occasionally a must due to large add-ons, and in KO-tournaments latereg is just plainly terrible.

totaly agree with you farseer... it is so true that in rebuy ones late reg on last Minute is gd as it s Close to add on for huge Chips and cpl of gd run in hands can make huge Chips stack in just few mts . and yes it is good stratergy for push fold Players.. but not good for tag

Y

YouPay4MyCrack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you start while using late registration you'll be ahead of the game, but expect to go all in at least once or twice at the start just to keep up. You'll probably be starting with around 10 bb's.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration is nice if you don't feel like playing for hours during the beginning. The beginning feels so SLOW. It feels like playing a cash game when everyone is so deep stacked (yet some people still shove like maniacs to try & get that quick double up)

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is the only way sites can "make" their guarantees. Well, U.S. facing sites that is. I'm not a big fan of the 3 hour late registration periods either, but what can we do? I agree, your chips start to lose value the second the tournament starts, so it is in your benefit to be there from the start. There are also some players that don't feel comfortable playing a deep stack, so they late register when they have, say 50 BB's.

G

Gambler47

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm late registering for a tournament I usually try to make sure I will have at least 20 BB's at the current level in the tournament before registering. I rarely late register in a normal stack tournament, I usually only late register in deep stack tournaments. Even then, I don't wait until the last minute to register because you're still in a push/fold situation until you double up or bust.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not everybody are of the punctual type. Late registration allows players a wider time frame so it not only allows more time and convenience but it is also boosts prize pool.

Some of it is also down to a player's preference.When the blind structure is slow some people late register on purpose because they are not comfortable with the starting blinds and find it ridiculously low compared to the starting stack. So they feel they have a better chance of accumulating chips once the blinds reach a level they are comfortable with. :rolleyes:

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once late-reg'd a H.O.R.S.E. tournament close to the money. I won a decent pot the first hand I voluntarily put chips into, and shortly after that, cashed.

I think for No Limit, it is not a great idea to late-reg, but for mixed games, if you play them well, then give it a try, though my preference is to be in early to build a stack.

I wouldn't advise it for major tournament series though because you are losing out on major equity.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is truth in your words. if you want to spend less time on the game at an early stage and manage better in the late stage of the tournament, why not.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is better to wait the next tournament then to use late registration, 90 % of players that used late registration do not succesful in tournaments.

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don' feel like it's a good idea to register late. It's only good if it is a normal or slow tournmament with deep stack otherwise it's more like you'll have chips just to go all-in. At least I try to register on time, but if late registration works for somebody it's awesome because sometimes the first hour is little bit boring.

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot depends on the situation. I recently late registered for a satellite tourney right as late entry was about to expire because starting with a full set of chips put me in a "money" spot to win one of the satellite tokens right out of the chute. Didn't even have to "catch up" to the guys in the money spots, as I started in one an hour into the tourney. Hard to pass something like that up...

iiHunt

iiHunt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the field size for me! I dont like playing in mega tournaments where everyone goes all in with crap and ends up winning!

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 2 options to take in the equasion:

The buy-in if it is mid like 8+ USD you shouldn't IMO register in 59th minute - true there will be around 20% players less but those left will have 2-4x times bigger stack than you and if you dont get great hands you will be short-stacked during shorter notice and you might fell-out

If it is low buy-in tournament than it is great idea - if you register and fell out you wont loose much and also there will be like 50% players out and about 20% left to be kicked out before reaching cash places.

And second thing the field of players and their skill (VIP silvestar will be different play and field from 1,10 USD NL Holdem tournament).. :)

suvorov17

suvorov17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like get to tournament in time.I play more hands with small blinds. If reg late,рlayers with a big stack will put pressure on you all the time You have to make difficult decisions when playing every hand

A

ATOMs01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a lot of tournements u have the possibility to register late.
I use this in tournements with hugh player fields to avoid a early shootout Because I get exited when the tournament starts and can not play my A- Game and start to donk around with my chips. Later in tournaments it slows down , so for me its good to start late and I can build my stack easier cause the blinds are bigger.
I like to here some arguments , pro or contra late registration, ty
For me, the late registration is not the best.
Because it big blinds, and I do not feel confident when I have less chips.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me there is no advantage to reg early over late or late over early.. If you pick your spot either way early or late if you get it in good you run the risk of being outed... I think it is better to enter late and pick your spot when it is easier to have your method of play picked for you...

alittlepoker

alittlepoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like the late reg but i have done a few times a 2 hour reg seams to be a bet long for me but i will do the ad d on if im running good

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on what the blinds will be and how it compares to your stack.

Also some games have rebuys and high addons, usualy at least twice the rebuy

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My rule of thumb is that I want at least 20 BBs if I am going to register late. That means for a deep stack tourney on Carbon (5,000), the BB can't be higher than 250. I'm comfortable playing shortstacked. But if you're not comfortable playing from behind, then don't do it.

J

Jamesongeist

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The strategy is as well depending on the buy-in. I guess that on the micro levels it's more better to register later. In this case you can ensure that some "every hand all in players" are already out and you can focus on your own game.

R

RicoRich24

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes is good reg. late but I like to start the tournaments from the first moment.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a lot of tournements u have the possibility to register late.
I use this in tournements with hugh player fields to avoid a early shootout Because I get exited when the tournament starts and can not play my A- Game and start to donk around with my chips. Later in tournaments it slows down , so for me its good to start late and I can build my stack easier cause the blinds are bigger.
I like to here some arguments , pro or contra late registration, ty

I think it's better to join a tournament as early as possible to gain as many chips as possible and stay ahead of the blinds maintaining a solid "M" so when the bubble arrives you can go for the win instead of a min cash. Depending on what your goal for that tournament may be. (min cash < win) IMO

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Tourney Registration (and/or Sitting in Late in a tourney)

I have a few friends who like doing this regularly. Register at the very end of the late registration period. Or, register for a tournament and not sit for it until a half an hour or even more has elapsed.

The way I look at it, you put yourself at a disadvantage when you do this: you may have missed some good hands, your chipstack diminishes, luck factor increases while the skill factor decreases (the more time you wait before sitting for your game the further away your chipstack gets from teh average chipstack).

On the other hand, I used to do this regularly in the beginning of my poker career with much success. I'd play in the ACR $10 freerolls regularly, only registering at the very last minute of late registration: i'd find myself with a starting stack of $1500 chips while the average chipstack would be around $4500 by that time and blinds up to around $100/$50. Since I'd be about 15 BBs, I'd usually find myself pushing all in when I played a hand and if I was able to double or triple up then I would have usually beat out nearly half of the opponents registered.

But again, on retrospect, I must emphasize that by playing in this way it felt more like gambling than if I would register and play from the very beginning and grind my way to 3-times the starting chipstack. Yet, i found I did very well when I did do this. Perhaps this is because I was more of a beginner back then and so a stronger emphasis on the luck factor over the skill factor worked to my benefit?

What made me start this post was a post I had made earlier today quoting Sun Tzu in his seminal work "The Art of War" (link: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...us-art-war-applied-poker-249276/#post2536057). Sun Tzu emphasizes here that in war it behooves one to be punctual (forgive the pun....my cc name is punctual).

Other thoughts on this? Do you feel like you perform better when you register (or sit for) a tournament late?

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a few friends who like doing this regularly. Register at the very end of the late registration period. Or, register for a tournament and not sit for it until a half an hour or even more has elapsed.

The way I look at it, you put yourself at a disadvantage when you do this: you may have missed some good hands, your chipstack diminishes, luck factor increases while the skill factor decreases (the more time you wait before sitting for your game the further away your chipstack gets from teh average chipstack).

On the other hand, I used to do this regularly in the beginning of my poker career with much success. I'd play in the ACR $10 freerolls regularly, only registering at the very last minute of late registration: i'd find myself with a starting stack of $1500 chips while the average chipstack would be around $4500 by that time and blinds up to around $100/$50. Since I'd be about 15 BBs, I'd usually find myself pushing all in when I played a hand and if I was able to double or triple up then I would have usually beat out nearly half of the opponents registered.

But again, on retrospect, I must emphasize that by playing in this way it felt more like gambling than if I would register and play from the very beginning and grind my way to 3-times the starting chipstack. Yet, i found I did very well when I did do this. Perhaps this is because I was more of a beginner back then and so a stronger emphasis on the luck factor over the skill factor worked to my benefit?

What made me start this post was a post I had made earlier today quoting Sun Tzu in his seminal work "The Art of War" (link: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...us-art-war-applied-poker-249276/#post2536057). Sun Tzu emphasizes here that in war it behooves one to be punctual (forgive the pun....my cc name is punctual).

Other thoughts on this? Do you feel like you perform better when you register (or sit for) a tournament late?

I am still tinkering with this myself. I have had a decent amount of success with late reg, and I see it works every week for the FT @ the 100k on bovada.

I need to find that sweet spot still. On 5-20$ tourneys, I don't care and like to super late reg, win 1 hand and then I can play my game. Its harder for me to sit late in the $162 game and I ultimately play diff, which is part of my problem.

I think joining with 30-40bb is not a bad idea for some players. Pots are big enough where people will fold to decent raises, and you are able to bully people more since the bubble will eventually be approaching.

I am going to try next week to play 5 or so MTTs and try late reg at different points to see what happens.