Late registration in Tournaments

C

carsguitars777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The later you join the more luck will be involved as you will get to see less hands but have to pay less blinds, starting near the beggining is more skill based but you will have to last, best thing to ask yourself is if you think you can make it to the point wrre you would join in and have more chips then if you late registered, I play tight at the beggining of torneys and only pick up low risk chips.. so I am not short stacked from the start by joining late.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do quite a bit of both and find I will run deeper when I start earlier (first couple of levels). A late start usually doesn't get me much more than a min-cash (and it does a lot of the time).

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's better to play immediately from the start of the game, you will have more time to build a big stack , adapt to the style of play rivals , and late check this possibility will not be as large stacks of rivals and the blinds will not allow normal play

T

tke001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Delaying starting playing until later limits your chances to accumulate chips. Start at the beginning and play ABC poker for a while until like 20 mins in when things begin to settle down.

MilosNCAA

MilosNCAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's amazing how i play batter when i registered late...i have batter results on L.R. When i start on time, i have a problem with very agressive players who play on luck...
I like Late ragistration on slow tournaments...but in Turbo tournaments does not make sense.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never late reg for more than 15 mins, no need to talk about last minute registration. I just don't feel comfortable with the fact that I started with much much less big blinds than my opponents. Also, if you find yourself card dead, registering at the start instead of a last minute will give you more chances to catch a better hand.

P

pokerace420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to late reg it prevents me from reentering to much

J

Johncool19

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg

I sometimes see that when late registration ends, there may only be 1 hr till you are in the money...u only need 1-2 double ups and u can be ITM and sitting pretty with chips. Other times I see late registration as gifting your chips to the field when the average stack is so much greater than original stack size.

T

Tgen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At start of course , you give up a lot of ev by starting late.

army-ninja

army-ninja

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree playing from the start is the best way, unless it is a freeroll and you are trying to avoid the all-in junkies :)

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Entering a tournament too late hurts your Roi alot as you lose tons of stack accumulation potential. also You generally have a bigger edge at the start of the tournament since stacks are deeper and there are more fish still in it.

The exception is 3xR/A, it's probably better to enter those right near the end of late registration since you commit the minimum to the prizepool while still having similar to average stack.

glenn6971

glenn6971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start at the beginning. Gives you more hands to see than starting late. Late the blinds dictate your play.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending if its turbo or just regular helps when i sign up. Also starting stack size matter to me when i sign up late reg. big difference when there is a starting size of 1500, 3000, 5000, 10,000 chips. I have seen myself lose quickly late registering and i have seen some incredible wins because i late registered.

its better to not feel like theres a need to buy in because the prize looks juicy. That little pressure of going in late reg with shortstack sometimes affects me to act irrational and make bad calls when i could have stayed a little more patient and folded.

I guess it just comes down to how you feel about the situation and if you can handle yourself on certain levels.

But to build a healthy habit, i would say try not to buy in late if its a tourney you look forward to playing all week or if its something you prepared for. when you go to work, you always want to show up ahead of time and get focused. those who are late, are always panicking or rushing themself to get settled in.

J

JamesMoroski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IT depends on the structure

How are you man i think if it is a Rebuy and a double rebuy and addon will get you 100 bbs or more then skip the first hour totally and register right before the first break and addon that way you know you dont have to invest multiple buyins and chances are you will be in the middle of the pack.

If its a 3K starting stack standard freezout DONT MISS the early levels as that is where you can actually see a few flops and chip up. If you join with 20 bigs youre very limited in what you can do.

Hope this Helps

O

oooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls I prefer the later registry, in payed tournaments, you are better being that as soon as you can. Getting information early is positive! :)

G

Geldi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I advise you to start the tournament at first because it is at the end of the blinds increase and at the beginning you can play the youngest blinds and win a lot of chips

Steve2777

Steve2777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually start registering for tournament just when registration opens and if some people have lagg on their comp then its possibility to not get registered for important tournaments , so always early.

E

ElGordoCat

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play when the journey starts..

P

playn4fun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what tourney it is, more often I do like to register as late as possible by that time most of the donks are out. :trytofly:

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with late check- in tournaments if the time late registration is limited (10 minutes) . If the time is greater then the players will be more and the tournament will be held for a long time . I think it makes no sense to register for the tournament after 30 minutes and Beaulieu because the blinds are rising and rising steaks

C

ChitChat5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are great, but I like to start around the beginning because if I play right I can get some chips from the donks. Even though it sucks when you lose to those crazy players, if you make profitable decisions there's nothing to feel bad about or regret.

charliboulders

charliboulders

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It goes either way...to be honest, it's luck. It's nice to start early and try and build a stack so you can just sit while all the late entries or re-entries go all in right before late registration is over. I'm not gonna lie, I have registered late, like right at the end, and have faired well sometimes.