Late registration in Tournaments

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you register late you will start with a lower stack compared to bb.

That in my opinion means that you have to play some more medium hands to get into the game and there is a risk because it is higher bb and will be more expencive compared to stack size.

In from the beginning you will see more hands and be able to play more hands cheap.

I prefer to be there from the start also for collecting info.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On deep tournaments, late registration and registration before start is almost samething...

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you register late you will start with a lower stack compared to bb.

That in my opinion means that you have to play some more medium hands to get into the game and there is a risk because it is higher bb and will be more expencive compared to stack size.

In from the beginning you will see more hands and be able to play more hands cheap.

I prefer to be there from the start also for collecting info.

This is what I used to think and it would always end badly. Don't get me wrong, I also would prefer to be there from the start to see more hands - but coming in late just isn't much different than having been card dead for the first few levels. There is no need to open up your range - in fact snugging it up would be better. There will be plenty of other players playing using wider ranges to get chips from.

H

hrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to use late reg. I like to start game when everybody has equal amount of chips, but when somebody has 6k chips, but I have only 1500 - sorry, it is not for me :)

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends how long late registrations are and how many people play in a tournament. If it`s 30 min later than tourney start and already more than 50% of players are out you might be in a rly bad position. This never happen in other but freerolls so joining late is actually good depend how many people play and "how late are you". I mean late regs have their advantages and you can use them if possible.

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your good at push or fold poker try it, and believe me there's an art to it.There are also some tourneys you can buy in on the last break, plus add on ,this puts you right in the game with a lot of dead money from people that have busted out.

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have you ever registered late in a mtt?

when a mean late is at least 30 min after, obviously in a slow structure, not turbo or faster,

sometimes a see a mtt but im late and i dont know if there is a waste of chances if i get in late considering i could lose opportunities, but sometimes when i register early i see my stack so diminished in a while that i think that im in a worse position than the players entering late, and by the other hand the mtts at the beginning are so slow that sometimes i see the action like one hour or two later

indeed sometimes i can manage to build a strong stack in the early stages but also as i see my stack grow i use to loose my game so time to time i crash faster than when i keep my stack still,

so if one of you reading these have ever tried entering late and consider that could be positive, id like to hear about,

I didnt read any reply so sry if it's already been said.

Late reg in mtt have sense if you wish to play a low structure mtt deep stack.
What I suggest is to open the tourney structure e double check how the blinds are, how the steps are and of course the stage of the tourney + how many time there is before next blind increase.
I usually use the late reg withing 45 min (about 5 bb levels) on stars (3k chips).
Be aware that tournaments that may look the same sometimes have a slight different blinds structure:

10 min blinds 10/20, 15/30, 20/40, 25/50, 30/60 (+ante), 40/80 (+ante).

15 min blinds 10/20, 15/30, 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 100/200. Ante @ 7° lvv

If y late reg in the 2nd case (same delay) you will find yourself high blind in a bit and lost loads of opportunities to chip up.

I hope it helps

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i've played 100 tournaments (according to opr) and each of those i've bought in with 30 min left for reg. if i bust out, then i buy in with 5 min left (after the last break). 2 max buy ins. i've made the money a little over 30% of the time with a really good roi (according to pokerprolabs) for $1-$2 mtts. sure i'm always at a disadvantage, but i've found that it works for me. others will want to buy in early so you can build a decent size stack. in these micro stakes, there are fishes from beginning to end so it's not a matter of taking chips from the fishes. it's a matter of how comfortable you are as a short stack.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the format. I don't play too many MTTs, but I've noticed with some of the freerolls I've played that I can cash incredibly easily if I late reg about 25 mins in.

I think part of the reason for this is that the blinds get so high so quickly that I am able to enter the game with a completely fresh mentality to the rest of the table and apply pressure, playing tight and aggressive and pushing/folding more so than the other players, putting them in difficult situations.

I think a lot of them are more likely to play more loosely and passively because of their previous 25 minute experience of fish and deeper stacks. Their minds are also likely to be less focussed and more on an "auto-pilot" mode which can be exploited by anyone paying attention.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to use late reg in freerolls, it usually lets many of the allin player leave early so I have a better chance to make the money.
Sattelite late entries if available are also one of my favourites. Once 2-3 years ago, entered an $11 satti late with only 22 players starting. Two were out and with 2k starting chips felt I had a chance to make one of the five money spots as the top two player were sitting on 19k and 22k respectivley whilst the rest of the field was ranging from 1.5k up to 7k.
To cut a long story short, I ended up winng the sattelite and a $250 ticket to a $10,000 event which when I played went on to go out in 11th spot for a nice pay check where my AQ allin lost to bb calling with 89 suited and he hit an 8 on the river. So yes, I think late entries are good if you feel comfortable with them.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are more, your stack is the same. So in my opinion you will need to get more lucky with your hands since you get less hands.

T

tomnovember

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have you ever registered late in a mtt?

when a mean late is at least 30 min after, obviously in a slow structure, not turbo or faster,

sometimes a see a mtt but im late and i dont know if there is a waste of chances if i get in late considering i could lose opportunities, but sometimes when i register early i see my stack so diminished in a while that i think that im in a worse position than the players entering late, and by the other hand the mtts at the beginning are so slow that sometimes i see the action like one hour or two later

indeed sometimes i can manage to build a strong stack in the early stages but also as i see my stack grow i use to loose my game so time to time i crash faster than when i keep my stack still,

so if one of you reading these have ever tried entering late and consider that could be positive, id like to hear about,

More hands, more chances. I do not like to register late as fishes my be diminished by other regs and I will face big stakes at the start of my tourney.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I usually dont register late.
If I dont have time to play from beginning, I usually will not play at all, just because at early stage in tournament you can catch many double up's really fast.
After that, adjust your game accordingly.

Just my $.02

K

kworm2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that registered late in a mtt is +EV.Because someone out is -EV.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think recording later you enter the disadvantage, but if you get to grow spends less time on the tournament. I'm more records in the beginning, I think better.

S

Spongish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Inpressad

:D :D
In games with a huge add-on like the 1.10 (3x turbo) 60k and 30k rebuys on PokerStars (add-on is here 30k !!) i prefer the "late entry strategy", go in cheap and cash big :)
(buy in last minute and goal is to reach the big add-on)

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never reg late. I need all the chips I can get. I would think late reg works better for very aggressive players. I'm very tight so it doesn't help my style.

I play live not online FWIW.

Naw, cannot make complex plays with no stack depth....floating, repping hands...etc. A thining LAG or even someone like me who just has all the moves postflop without being a LAG needs some playability to make those plays.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not a big fan of entering late, the fish tend to go out first and you want their money

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There seems to be a big difference between US sites, which barely cover the guarantees, and Stars/Tilt, where covering is not an issue. The US sites have late registration until you can barely buy-in for 1 full BB. OK, that is an exaggeration, but not by much. Then they generally (these days anyway) do not have that huge add-on.

LR is more a function of guarantees than anything else. It is important to understand the whole tourney structure, including prospective pay outs before deciding whether or not to register late, and at what point LR becomes -EV. It is also important to understand yourself and your self-evaluation. If there is any sign of desperation in your decision, and you don't see it, you are probably screwing yourself.

If you absolutely hate LR, then you need to be playing fixed size S&G's.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that registered late in a mtt is +EV.Because someone out is -EV.

Someone out means higher average stack wich means you are behind.

I will say if you go for the win you much be in from beginning.

W

winningpoker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration is good but some tournament hav very late registration ....late registration should not be more than 30 mins ....

T

tomnovember

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More hands, more chances. Lateness may doesn't matter a lot, but still put you under poor circumstances against some big stakes.

B

Bjjartisan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's got it really deepstacked tourneys but otherwise don't even bother man

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You may not realize how many good hand that you could had been missing by making a late registration.