Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
two of the king is a good card but it unfortunately does not give 100% guarantee to win !!! we must always remember this and be ready to throw !!! always a chance that your opponent has two aces and one can lose a lot !!!!!

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to ask an opinion about the following hand.

I was in the 7Starcoins VIP tournament, final table, UTG+2 with KK. and Had around 40BB. The chip leader has 80BB, and I was 3rd in chips. There were 3 shorties (10-15BB). I raise, got reraised by the chip leader went all in and he bust me with QQ. The first place was 400$ and I got 81. I know that this is a clear all in, without any doubts, but how a micro stakes player should react on this situation if I was at the final table of Sunday Storm or Big 11. Should I fold since the 3rd place was almost assured if it was one of this tournament?

I don't think you can really compare a 7 Starscoin VIP tournament to the Sunday Storm. The payouts in the Storm this past Sunday for the top 4 were as follows:

SundayStormPayouts

$9k vs. $24k for a micro stakes player is huge, which I assume you are (as I am). Ask yourself this, would you play the hand the exact same way here as you would in a Starscoin/Freeroll tournament where the money is on a smaller scale?

I think your play in the coin tournament was fine. You play to win. As the late Amir Vahedi once said "to win, you must be willing to die".

no way you should fold it. you are 90 percent the favourite and if you double up you're the favourite for the 1st place but you got unlucky which is also ok. success in poker, as for everything, comes only with patience. play disciplined and you'll get there!

vassiriki makes a good point about patience and discipline, which I suspect you had to make it as deep as you did.

Congratudolences (I suppose, heh) on 4th. You win that hand, you have an excellent chance at 1st.

comaro

comaro

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you want to win the tournament, you must play. What a hand you need? KK is a nuts in this situation. But if you just want to take more $ then pays for 8th or 9th places, just wait when short stakes will go out. Its simple

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you can really compare a 7 Starscoin VIP tournament to the Sunday Storm. The payouts in the Storm this past Sunday for the top 4 were as follows:

View attachment 123349

$9k vs. $24k for a micro stakes player is huge, which I assume you are (as I am). Ask yourself this, would you play the hand the exact same way here as you would in a Starscoin/Freeroll tournament where the money is on a smaller scale?

I think your play in the coin tournament was fine. You play to win. As the late Amir Vahedi once said "to win, you must be willing to die".

vassiriki makes a good point about patience and discipline, which I suspect you had to make it as deep as you did.

Congratudolences (I suppose, heh) on 4th. You win that hand, you have an excellent chance at 1st.

That was actually my question. If micro players will do the same move in the sunday storm. Having a tiny bankroll (200 USD) in Sunday storm, maybe I would have folded the hand and win 4k minimum more since there were 3 shorties at the table.

The issue in all the final table that I've played, I have never folded a good hand, but I have folded medium strong hands for ICM reasons.

LLIypuk

LLIypuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not fold KK preflop.

M

money maker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold, and nothing is assured!! Only if you desperate need money which lets say 5th brings, you can fold, but from poker perspective it is always call!!

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not so good as I think. Really KK (or AA) is looking so good, aprising the mood, but it has not so many ways to be improved. If you are aiming to win the tournament, you need to think deeply is there a reason of such risk. Pocket pairs is great only in headsup or when it have improvement in the table. So I think there are more than one decision can be maked. All the more so you have 40BBs

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depend on many factors. As for me, most strong factor based on knowing something about your opponent. Even though, your KK can be crashed by T8o just if is not your table, or you play against huge stack agressor, who bit a lot of small stacks before you.

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of answers, but only few are making reference to my question. I will formulate it like this:)

If it was the same situation, but at final table in Sunday Storm. You have a bankroll of 200$. Of course you qualified to the sunday storm trough a satellite.:) You are 80-90% sure that you are finishing third, as I was explaining the stack sizes. Everybody knows that 3rd place gives you more than 10.000 $. Would you still shove the kings?

B

brrrddz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I was in the 7Starcoins VIP tournament, final table, UTG+2 with KK. and Had around 40BB. The chip leader has 80BB, and I was 3rd in chips. There were 3 shorties (10-15BB). I raise, got reraised by the chip leader went all in and he bust me with QQ. The first place was 400$ and I got 81. I know that this is a clear all in, without any doubts, but how a micro stakes player should react on this situation if I was at the final table of Sunday Storm or Big 11. Should I fold since the 3rd place was almost assured if it was one of this tournament?

Hi man.. dont doubt for your play. u did very well with your all in with KK. dont afraid to play right. for this reason u must play with bankroll management, not biggers tours that u cannot afford. only tours which your bankroll allows u to play. because the players of the higher stakes (tours) who have the suitable bankroll and dont afraid to risk..they can exploit u.

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi man.. dont doubt for your play. u did very well with your all in with KK. dont afraid to play right. for this reason u must play with bankroll management, not biggers tours that u cannot afford. only tours which your bankroll allows u to play. because the players of the higher stakes (tours) who have the suitable bankroll and dont afraid to risk..they can exploit u.

You're right about the stakes. The issue is that I'm playing sunday storm almost every sunday because I'm used to play a lot of satellites for tournament money. I know that it' very hard to reach the FT but since I have reached FT of 8.8$ buy in 5.5$ buy in with more than 10.000 people, I don't think think that reaching the FT of sunday storm it's impossible.

So, that's why I've asked this. Of course I'm not playing 11$ MTT with 200 bankroll, but I qualify to them and I'm not able to unregister.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of answers, but only few are making reference to my question. I will formulate it like this:)

If it was the same situation, but at final table in Sunday Storm. You have a bankroll of 200$. Of course you qualified to the sunday storm trough a satellite.:) You are 80-90% sure that you are finishing third, as I was explaining the stack sizes. Everybody knows that 3rd place gives you more than 10.000 $. Would you still shove the kings?
While playing passively MAY get you a notch higher, you have to go for the win. Just think of your bankroll and bragging rights with friends if you won with KK and ended up winning the Sunday Storm....3rd place is only rewarding to the pocket book, but no EGO gratification.

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should play it the same way under the circumstances you described. You can't guarantee that big of a ladder up to the third place prize - we all have seen short stacks grind their way to the top - so best to take advantage where you can.

R

rusty98

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Depends on a situation , Sometime in a bigger tournament yes, Because there is a huge difference in prize money , if you can finish on 2nd or 3rd your mind set should be to go as closer as you can .

R

rusty98

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything that you did was perfect. Also, never AIM for the third place. It should always be to win the thing, anything else should be a consolation prize which doesn't have to be third necessarily. Even if it was WCOOP main event, you should have played it the same way. Don't overthink it, You put your chips in a massive favorite and lost. It's called poker. The important thing is that you do that every single time and you'll be massive favorite in winning them.
I dont agre with you at all. Because we seldom reach on final table in bigger tournaments. Once you have reached there , you should make the most of it. like you mentioned about wcoop main event If you finish 2nd or 3rd in that tournament ,It can change your whole life . So if you are in a position to finish in 2nd or 3rd place without playing much then you should play accordingly /Even you can fold pocket aces also. If the situation demands.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't fold KK preflop ever, if they got AA then they they got it. still the chance of spiking a K.

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I dont agre with you at all. Because we seldom reach on final table in bigger tournaments. Once you have reached there , you should make the most of it. like you mentioned about wcoop main event If you finish 2nd or 3rd in that tournament ,It can change your whole life . So if you are in a position to finish in 2nd or 3rd place without playing much then you should play accordingly /Even you can fold pocket aces also. If the situation demands.

I don't agree with you, I will never fold AA or KK at final table. You played that hand perfectly, you just got unlucky . In last 2 weeks, i have lost with KK at final table in 35.00$ buy in. I had all my chips in preflop and lost to AJ twice. The next time i get KK, i am going to try and get my chips in preflop.

Y

yurok42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold in such a situation, it seems to me not to be a critical error

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is an obvious mistake 3rd place you could get even with 7 and 2

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold KK they never win against single ACE!

N

nikolica11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello, here is what I would do in this situation. Because I already had a similar situation on the final table when I was beaten by A9o vs my KK all in preflop. However in your case I would jus call his reraise and wait to see the flop. If flop drops any Ace, no problem to fold in further action. Maybe this is not helpful in this situation, but some other time when tou have similar situation thic can help you.

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a similar situation. MTT this format is that the final table is a rarity-- it remains only to reassure themselves than everything was done correctly. do what you must and come what may

Joken23

Joken23

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had bad luck, your hand was strong. Dont waste on "what if.." You made the correct decision.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just got bumped out of a tournament with kk against j7 😣

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While playing passively MAY get you a notch higher, you have to go for the win. Just think of your bankroll and bragging rights with friends if you won with KK and ended up winning the Sunday Storm....3rd place is only rewarding to the pocket book, but no EGO gratification.

Yeah. You're right. But I'm not playing to brag. I don't have friends that play poker. The majority of my friends think that is gambling so.... I'm playing for money and the 3rd place in sunday storm will help me to pay all my debts (I have debts of around 12.000 bucks).

Status
Not open for further replies.