Just one mistake ruins the whole tournament

N

nielrp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very difficult decision could really be a bleff, in that case would have to know the game of the opponent to know how normally he throws his hands, depending on the opponent I would also pay.

S

Spripe

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot, I don't think it was a mistake but folding would be ok there too but very hard to do because as you said, why would he jam with AA Or KK. I would have called for the same reason. To really justify it being a mistake would be if there was big pay jumps coming and there were short stacks. 40BB is a pretty good stack in a tourney.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have happened to be in the first positions of a tournament and leading in chips, and not only have an error if not several and stay out, sometimes the variance plays a bad pass ... play loose and passive me to funsionado

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had many hands like this one. I was sure i have the best pair but it turnes out my opponent has better pair. Thats poker its hard to fold QQ in late stage of the mtt

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys!

Have you ever had a tournament where you played your best game but then lost just because you made that one crucial mistake? What was it?

I was in a tournament yesterday and I had been playing really well, making the right decisions. Blinds were 3000/6000 and my stack was about 240 000. I got QQ's UTG and made my usual 2.5x preflop raise to 15 000. Everyone else folded but BB went suddenly all-in with just a bit higher stack than mine. I got really confused since that was probably the first time anyone threw all-in preflop against a similar stack size. Of course my first thought was that he's holding AA or KK but then I started to justify my call and told myself that they wouldn't do anything like that with such a big hand since there is a high chance that I would fold my hand and they wouldn't get the best value. And I called. Opponent turns AA and I lose, bye bye to me.

I have been feeling really bad about it and clearly that was a huge mistake, right? I just couldn't let that hand go. The only good thing is that I learned a lot and next time I'll be better even though it still stings. Kind of humiliating as well...

Nothing to worry, it happened to me a hundred times, the mistakes you need to learn and draw conclusions playing in the next game

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't be that mad about it.
It's a common mistake, laying QQs down preflop is just really hard.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I went back and re-read Super System by Doyle, he stated back in the day an all in was only preformed with AA or KK and should never be done with any other hand pre-flop. I found this interesting and tried to apply it more to my games. It seemed to work out, but I would have a hard time lying down QQ. Especially with the crazy internet play. Also I have had dozens of tournaments and get knocked out close to the money or on the bubble. It's going to happen.

C

choppersaur

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course I knew I might lose. I knew it really well. But like I said, I somehow analyzed it the way that I thought I had a better hand. I told myself that he's just trying to steal that. Why would he go all-in with Aces just to win my preflop raise when he would usually win more with a reraise with such a strong hand? We weren't short-stacked. Normal people would fold my QQ's in that situation, I just happened to be there with my stupid decision and gave him everything he wanted. I know it was a mistake. That's why I would like to hear more stories where people have lost with just one mistake. Just to know I'm not the only one ;)

That big a bluff? Man.. better luck next time.:jd4::jd4:

T

Trey Cole

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very frustrating when one hands kills your whole tourney

T

Trey Cole

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes u just gotta go down with the ship

T

Trey Cole

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mistakes happen. You learn and hopefully improve

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had AA I would do exactly the same thing as your opponent ... now if I were the one with QQ and I would have realized that it was the first time someone was throwing all-in before the flop against a similar stack ... without a doubt I will fold

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah the ol talk yourself into believing they dont have it. I know that move. I know that move well. If you were holding 99-JJ then you could make a case for making a mistake, with QQ thats just more than likely going to be a cooler. You were playing for the win and theres nothing wrong with that.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I much prefer making a series of mistakes and not ruining the tournament, but that's just me.

Know your opponents - if this was a reasonable player you are likely a flip at best and can consider a fold with only 2.5BB invested. If this was a lunatic, good game if they have better than QQ.

A re-raise out of the blinds is often a very good hand, unless they know this too!

Good luck to you! :D

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is two cards that are stronger than Q, and it is enough for opponent to have K with small kicker and that he get K on the flop and you are history. You must be careful with QQ. I have lost many times with QQ.

V

veruska A1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Errors in poker are always going to exist, because whenever we have a strong hand we believe we are already winners of the game and it is there when we lose more. That's why I always recommend playing with caution and go ALL IN only when you have won, play with patience and not believe you a winner from the beginning, but even here I leave some common mistakes of poker.

1) On valuing our letters - study your hand well do not rush draw conclusions.

2) Playing Too Many Starting Hands- This is quite simple. Any player who has read at least one poker book knows that starting hand strategy is the cornerstone of a profitable strategy in general. However, very few players demonstrate the knowledge and / or patience to play poker hands well.

3) Patience - Read and reread the AOK input.

4) Go for letters (outs) that do not favor you - Many players comment the mistake of assuming that if they improve their hand they will win. For example, they have AK with a T95 flop and decide that the pot odds justify a draw to an ace or king which improves the hand by approximately 7 to 1 with the next card. The problem with this reasoning is that your opponents may already have beaten you or the card that improves your hand.

5) About playing overcards - When you fail the flop with your A-K and there is a bet and a raise, there is no reason to continue with the hand. Even if you get an ace or a king on the turn, there is a good chance that someone already has a partner. And if someone has only one pair with an ace or a king kicker, you're in serious trouble. If you do not get anything on the flop, let it go. You can not improve your opponent's hand to a better hand.

G

Glebtyzhnyh90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing terrible in your call was not, you had a top pair, for example if I played freeroll (I almost do not play them at all), I would even agree with your position and opinion. Much depends on the quality of the tournament and its stage and of course on the players at your table, what is their style of play (I repeat this not the first time).If the tournament was even a turbo with a good entrance and good prize money, I can confidently say that this all-in card is not played in a 50-60% per cent case (especially if a big re-raise is done by the bank). Do not repeat the error :) Although sometimes they bear fruit in poker :)

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that happens to me often , but one time on Big 1.1$ , last 30players , I won a nice pot , we bot flop a flush , but I had the nut flush (AK) and he had (9 10) , this pot made me a chip leader , then they moved me to another table were I lived the nightmare xD , like I was so close to the win ,I had about 800 000 chip stack , like everything went quickly so I was a bit disappointed . 2nd hand , I'm holding AA UTG+1 , I raised about 2.6BBs , middle position call (about 500 000chip stack)
flop comes 586 scary wet flop , so I decided to bet big about 80% the pot , he snap called , 7 came on turn , now it's really scary board for AA , I check , he think about it a little bit , and he shoved , and here comes my mistake xD , something came on my mind telling me that he might have JJ QQ or even KK and he's trying to protect his hand , this flop might be scary for him too , so I call , and he showed 77 , he turns a set of 7s , just the next hand K9s I opened again , and get called by the same guy , flop 979 , trips for me this is great flop , I bet half the pot , he snap called as always xD , J on the turn , at this point , the pot was x2 my Stack , so I thought the best decision here is shoving so I did , he snap called , showing (10 8) , river on his favour , and I'm out :( , I went from chip leader to nothing

I

Ioscu Ion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was with chips in 1 place and called everything without even having time to notice how he flew out ((

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I much prefer making a series of mistakes and not ruining the tournament, but that's just me.

Know your opponents - if this was a reasonable player you are likely a flip at best and can consider a fold with only 2.5BB invested. If this was a lunatic, good game if they have better than QQ.

A re-raise out of the blinds is often a very good hand, unless they know this too!

Good luck to you! :D

+1

It's happened to me a few times too. Exact same train of thought. You bring your A game and go at it for a good 2 hours only to miss the bubble because of one mistake. Ouch! I can't cite any recent examples though.:eek:

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just one mistake

did basically the same thing with pocket kings. damn hard to fold them and who know's, the flop might be kind to you, or so you think. hard to believe the other guy has aces when you have kings...but obviously it happens.

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've made mistakes too, especially when i'm holding pocket jacks or queens and my opponent has pocket kings or aces. It's just bad luck. In live games Daniel negaeuru says it's not normal to have one player with pocket kings and then another with pocket aces. online poker it's very common.

HennieP

HennieP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys!

Have you ever had a tournament where you played your best game but then lost just because you made that one crucial mistake? What was it?

I was in a tournament yesterday and I had been playing really well, making the right decisions. Blinds were 3000/6000 and my stack was about 240 000. I got QQ's UTG and made my usual 2.5x preflop raise to 15 000. Everyone else folded but BB went suddenly all-in with just a bit higher stack than mine. I got really confused since that was probably the first time anyone threw all-in preflop against a similar stack size. Of course my first thought was that he's holding AA or KK but then I started to justify my call and told myself that they wouldn't do anything like that with such a big hand since there is a high chance that I would fold my hand and they wouldn't get the best value. And I called. Opponent turns AA and I lose, bye bye to me.

I have been feeling really bad about it and clearly that was a huge mistake, right? I just couldn't let that hand go. The only good thing is that I learned a lot and next time I'll be better even though it still stings. Kind of humiliating as well...

Calling with QQ in that position was NOT a mistake. Yes, you were behind this time but you'll be ahead often enough to make a call in this situation a profitable one. If the situation was reversed and your opponent held the Q's he might just as easily have picked up a Q on the board and still have beaten you.

Like I said elsewhere, don't play to just make it past the bubble. Play for top 3. If you had won the hand you would have been in a much stronger position and would have had a shot at final table at least.

M

marnburger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know how you're feeling, done this a lot and it's definitely a part of the game that needs work. Patience and stamina.

I'll give my opinion on the hand though as I disagree with the people saying you made the right call and most of the time you're ahead. I'm assuming this is small or micro stakes tournament? There's always a lot of all-ins from players looking to just double up with almost any two cards throughout the tournament. I'm sure you see these players, it annoys some players and they sometimes lose patience and call them with mediocre cards, ending up in a coin flip for their tournament life. Not a good play. In your situation, late in the tournament like that I'm almost certain villain has AA (even the wildest players take it serious at the end). I've also used this move a lot, people can get a bit desensitised to a pre-flop shove due to all the lunatics so sometimes shoving your AA will get calls late in a tournament for a large stack, when it really shouldn't. Also it's almost always a JJ+, AK range that's calling, so you're normally a 4:1 favourite. Works out a pretty nice way to play aces.

Try to look for players that are shoving occasionally pre-flop with bigger than 20bb stacks as these are likely ATC they fancy and can be called down with our strongest hands. But be wary of the player that does it with a big stack and you don't remember them doing it before. It's almost always aces.

Marlongamer7

Marlongamer7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This Saturday I was playing a 9-max tournament the 3rd place was the button, I was in place 6 with the stack of (9770) with the blinds in 125/250 ante 25 I received a <font color='red'>J♥</font>J♠ increased the bet to 1000, the player in place 5 and the place 9 pay, the flop comes <font color='red'>8♥</font> <font color='black'>K♣</font> 5♠, the player in place 5 passes I bet 2000 and the player in place 9 folds, the player in place 5 pays on the turn comes a <font color='red'>A<font face="arial">♦</font></font> the player in place 5 passes and I bet 6745 chips and I go to all in, the player in place 5 pays 4875 and this all in also the river comes <font color='red'>6♥</font> and the other player wins with a cracked <font color='black'>5♣</font>]<font color='red'>5♥</font>5♠
Result: I left only a stack of 1870 and this jeopardized my survival in the tournament