Just one mistake ruins the whole tournament

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it all the time. Usually the tighter I play the bigger the mistake. When you've been folding for 30 mins and see AQs, JJ, 10-10, it becomes easy to overplay the hand.

R

rehanov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well u said it doesnt make sense for him to shove with aces as u will probably fold and he wouldnt maximize his profit , but the other question u should ask urself , is he willng to risk his entire stack with jacks 10s ?

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys!

Have you ever had a tournament where you played your best game but then lost just because you made that one crucial mistake? What was it?

I was in a tournament yesterday and I had been playing really well, making the right decisions. Blinds were 3000/6000 and my stack was about 240 000. I got QQ's UTG and made my usual 2.5x preflop raise to 15 000. Everyone else folded but BB went suddenly all-in with just a bit higher stack than mine. I got really confused since that was probably the first time anyone threw all-in preflop against a similar stack size. Of course my first thought was that he's holding AA or KK but then I started to justify my call and told myself that they wouldn't do anything like that with such a big hand since there is a high chance that I would fold my hand and they wouldn't get the best value. And I called. Opponent turns AA and I lose, bye bye to me.

I have been feeling really bad about it and clearly that was a huge mistake, right? I just couldn't let that hand go. The only good thing is that I learned a lot and next time I'll be better even though it still stings. Kind of humiliating as well...

Why you said it's a mistake? The only information that you gave us it's that his stack was a little bigger than yours. You had to see if he was aggressive, tight to see all his stats. If he didn't had any (first hands with him), you had 40BB with a very good hand in the mid to late stage of the tournament and you have to call if you want to win. I was doing this kind of "mistakes" by not making this kind of call, reach the FT, but place in 7th place, in 5th place. I know that MTT's are a marathon and not a sprint, but if you want to win, you have made the correct call. Also, if you were folding, and got card dead for half an hour you would have regret it that you didn't call.

There are 2 situations when you could fold QQ.

1. The 3 bettor is a total nit, you watched him for more than 100 hands and he was folding everything.
2. You know that you are the best player at the table and, of course, you can use your skills and wait for a better situation.

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have made a mistake like that with a poor hand,it was a rebuy tournament with 25k$ prize pool 80 players remaining,i was on place 7 with a nice big stack so i was UTG with K9s i call,everybody folds and BB raise all in i was over him with 2bbs,i thought he was bluffing and had nothing so i called,he shows QTo flop gave me a 9 and river is Q so i lost 95% of my stack and next all in lost all of it ,first place was 4,600$ but i ended just with 44$,so one mistake like this and you are busted out.

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens to me a lot of time..but just keep playing as usualy and on the long term it should bring you full ships :)