pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that any A can have more opportunity than a low pair, especially when the blinds are very high and chips are needed to continue in the tournament, of course that having an A is no guarantee of winning

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think either is ok as long as you are mid to late position and no one has raised yet. I don't love it under the gun, but if you are short you may have to go with it. When you are short better to shove with a hand like this than wait for a better hand that might not come and then find yourself really short. You don't want to lose your fold equity which will happen if you are down to 5 or 6 bigs, or even 6-7 bigs if there are big stacks at your table.

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you should push with any ace or any pair when you are a short stack. It would be more beneficial if you are in late position though.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The shorter I am, the more I'll open my range of hands. In this way I will play pairs and Ax more often, but in certain depending on who entered the hand and how it entered, my tendency will be to fold those hands and wait for better opportunities.

With 12bb or more still has a lot of play, and in the final stages of the tournament many will have these values, so I tend to avoid taking chances with these hands, but if I have in position without anyone having increased before, maybe use these hands for stealing the blinds.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When short stack and push becomes a shove I shove high pairs , two face cards
A-9 or higher
I will do this when I figure I only have 5 cycles or less before my blinds eat me up
Not a fan of A-junk unless get to 6 player table and under

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have no problem folding ace rag 66 55 44 33 22 maybe even 77 88 any thing higher if i am short stack i push all in

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both are playable in the right situation/position. When I am short stacked I open up my range to include both. I am more inclined to shove in a early-mid position with a smaller pair vs. Ace-rag. I play more Ace rag than I should, but I do like A2-A5 suited with the double draw for straights and flushes.

SoCal

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ax more valuable HU or three handed
I do like Kx Ax in a short table when acting early as leverage to steal binds or too see the flop.

TheGiantAsian

TheGiantAsian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pairs are obv better but sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting for one. Gotta ship those weak aces before your fold equity window closes

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in that situation i prefer a small pair over the ace.... but don't expect to win too often

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
junk Aces. or wait for a pair

Always hope. With these cards, however, I see why you said what you did.

With Ace-rags unsuited - A2, A3, A4, A5 and A6 - and up against high blinds while short stacked - play from late position pre-flop only to see what villain does. These are "call-the-blinds" hole cards only. Having called, fold to any raise because the Ace-rag win percentage is only about 55%, +/- 3%. Playing pre-flop, the strategy is to get to the flop by calling blinds only. If you get to the flop and draw dead, check only. If villain raises, fold. If you get to the flop and pair your A, remember - if anyone else has AA at showdown, the lower kicker usually loses. If you get to the flop, and pair your rag, remember all the higher pairs that can crush it. The best play for Ace-rag is to avoid situations in which strategy fails and from which a bankroll cannot recover.

Trusting a junk Ace vs. small pairs: Small pairs like 66, 55, 44, 33 and 22 have a winning percentage of approximately 51%, e.g., 5,100 out of 10,000 hands played. Conversely, they have a losing percentage of approximately 49%, meaning 4,900 of 10,000 hands played. So, small pairs have an even lower winning percentage than Ace-rags, as per the above. But, they are played in similar ways. So, call pre-flop, nothing more, because betting or raising or calling a raise can escalate risks to short stacks already threatenned by high blinds. It is unreasonable to raise with low pairs unless the plan is to bluff from the get-go. Otherwise, do not raise with low pairs pre-flop. If any player raises or re-raises post-your-call or post-your-bluff pre-flop, then FOLD immediately. Position counts with low pairs; later is optimal because it reveals who plays and does not; how many play and fold; and who bets, raises and re-raises. Going in with small pairs is really just an attempt in any other words to limp in from any position. However, such an action from an early position can mean later punishment to stacks, even if the loss is only equal to the big blind. A low pair wants to trip on the flop. If it does not trip, check, if possible, hoping for a free card at the turn. If a player raises, if another re-raises, if cards with higher values than the held low pair present in the flop, then fold because the loss potential is already there. It is risky and costly to chase trips faced with over cards. If there is a trip on the flop, then the odds of winning climb, and the next move is critical. Trips are reasonably strong hands at any given stage. Still, low trips are vulnerable, so take a really good look at the board. If the potential for the trips to win is present, then bet opponents out by raising high ASAP. Try not to go to the turn or the river if avoidable with low trips.

Finally, high blinds and a short stack. Anytime Ace-rags or small pairs play, there is a real danger to short stacks when high blinds present themselves. One of the best ways to avoid dangers to stacks is to decide from the start whether or not you want to play these hole cards. Generally, my own preference is not to do so. But, sometimes, when stacks are being constantly drained by blinds over the course of the game, it is necessary to go with your best cards. These cards may be Ace-rags or small pairs. If I had to play either, despite the win percentages favoring Ace-rags, I believe I would prefer to play small pairs. Why? It is just my personal opinion, my own gut opinion like you asked for, but I believe there is a better chance for small pairs to win at showdown with trips than Ace-rags with AA and a small kicker.

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i push pairs 22 33 44 55 with very small stack 66 77 88 99 15-20 bb junk A its not good idea only from Button or cut-off

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would prefer a pocket pair if my stack is short, and I have only two decisions to put everything or throw it away.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There lots of push fold charts out there. Google "Jennifear's MTT Push-Fold Charts" and get the excel spread sheets.

There is an app for your phone from Float the Turn, which gives recommended push fall call recommendations for stacks from 1 to 20 BBs.I found it enlightening.

The answer to your question is medium pairs are better than bad aces, IMHO, 88, 77, 66, 55 have 24 combinations. A8o, A7o, A6o, A5o, A4o, A3o and A2o have 28 The problem is there are 2,652 starting hands and only 250 or so are better than the ones you are folding.

When your short stacked, you can't wait, so shove.

That was very helpful!

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as long as we're talking preflop on;y:
Any Ax is better than 22 or 33.
44 is marginally better than A3o.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are those who would argue that ace rag over the long run do not play well. A2, a3, a4,a5.
In another post someone asked would you rather have AK OR QQ?
Some player said poker is about good decisions

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I’m down to 10BB. Then I shoving with any small pair. A-rag or any ATC that are 9 or higher At that point there no choice that the best you got
At 10-15BB then I rather have small pair than Arag to shove for the reason is there is more callers that have Ax with better kickers and at least you have 50% chance rather than 30%.
Actually to two live under cards are better than Arag as you are 40%. Say for example. 10-9 vs AJ better than A-3 vs A-J

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From a rigtard impression

I think most everyone makes sense. Only thing that wasn't mention is some sites for some reason produce more aces on the board than others. Give you a good example. On this one site i noticed the ace hits the board 1/3 hands. So i pay attention once im short stacked to the boards previously played.

Add these up and im in for the push ace rag specially if limper and other short stacks. Been working like a charm.

Live play low pairs against ace rag is still around 50/50 either way you look at it yes? Maybe less? If your short stacked that's pretty good odds yes. Time to gamble because our skill or luck has let us down. See you at the tables:girlshit:

J

Jeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a pair is better than a weak ace. But at the late stage of the tournament it is not always possible to wait for a good hand. It is necessary to play with what is. and most importantly, find the right moments during the game, adjust to the opponents. when you have five big ones you don’t have to choose, but I would prefer a pair

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rag ace play is going to be critical to your success, I typically have tossed them at ever stage but I realise that good players tend to take a rag ace in certain situations...

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to play the A anything suited pretty strong. A6..9 unsuited I will usually fold, especially when the blinds are big.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer pairs any day over a junk ace. This being said in a tournament you will not always pick up pairs to play with a unsuited junk ace might be the best spot you can find. In tournaments it is important to pick up the blinds, especially in later stages. Shoving hands with equity in later stages is never a bad thing to do. Sometimes you find yourself in that spot where you are dominated and need to get lucky, but late in tournaments you can't be to scared of that, if you get unlucky and it happens to you just consider it not meant to be. I am not saying late in tourneys shove ace rag all the time but there are spots that warrant the play more than others, and remember blinds late in tourneys are very important to pick up, Ace rag can help you do this.

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am talking no hope junk: A6..9, unsuited. When the blinds are getting up there, you need to make money, what is the preference, a junk A or 22, 33? Does your gut trust a lousy pair more than a junk ace?

Well, you should always have a shoving range to include both, but I guess you are asking what we prefer. A pair, no matter how small, is a made hand.

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold

A with low kicker is suicide - Ak-A10 is played by most, so likely hood of your hand being dominated is very high. unless you flop a hit on the kicker i would not spend more money on it - hitting the A doesnt change your position a lot except you may be fooled into believing you got the best hand.

more than 3bb preflop fold and no betting / call otherwise unless hitting the kicker

J

jrpressley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What about if you are really short and can't wait for anything. Would you prefer to shove with low, connected cards, like 64, or a hand like K7.

Let's say you are on the button with no one in the hand and you have 3xbb

Last edited: