Junk Aces, or wait for a pair

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am talking no hope junk: A6..9, unsuited. When the blinds are getting up there, you need to make money, what is the preference, a junk A or 22, 33? Does your gut trust a lousy pair more than a junk ace?

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Push/Fold

There lots of push fold charts out there. Google "Jennifear's MTT Push-Fold Charts" and get the excel spread sheets.

There is an App for your phone from Float the Turn, which gives recommended push fall call recommendations for stacks from 1 to 20 BBs.I found it enlightening.

The answer to your question is medium pairs are better than bad aces, IMHO, 88, 77, 66, 55 have 24 combinations. A8o, A7o, A6o, A5o, A4o, A3o and A2o have 28 The problem is there are 2,652 starting hands and only 250 or so are better than the ones you are folding.

When your short stacked, you can't wait, so shove.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are short stacked and jamming a pair is usually better than a junk ace. When you are called you want to be flipping your pair with the two over cards (51%) instead of getting called be a dominating ace (30%)

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for some reason i see pairs beating AK AQ or A anything for that matter but with a heads up all in i prefer pairs

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There lots of push fold charts out there. Google "Jennifear's MTT Push-Fold Charts" and get the excel spread sheets.

There is an app for your phone from Float the Turn, which gives recommended push fall call recommendations for stacks from 1 to 20 BBs.I found it enlightening.

The answer to your question is medium pairs are better than bad aces, IMHO, 88, 77, 66, 55 have 24 combinations. A8o, A7o, A6o, A5o, A4o, A3o and A2o have 28 The problem is there are 2,652 starting hands and only 250 or so are better than the ones you are folding.

Thanks for this reply im always looking for great poker apps. I have never heard of this one

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pairs are a bit better giving you a hand already before the flop, playing poor aces means someone else could have you dominated and then you've maybe only a 30% chance. However, remember if someone has a better pocket pair than you, you might only have a 20% chance to win the hand.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are short, first to enter the pot and in late position - you can ship it in with either really. I dont think either is a terrible move at that point. Its already been addressed that obviously you would want to get it in with a pair against two overs rather than find yourself looking to suckout on a dominant hand.

There are alot of push fold charts out there for sure....and thats fine and dandy because they will help you, but myself - i like to determine my own push fold ranges - gives you a better feel for the game. If you make some mistakes, dont relish in them, learn from them. I actually enjoy being short from time to time, keeps my game sharp and i always have potential to climb back into the field. Hope this helps, good luck.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would always prefer a pocket pair but you may never get one. If your stack gets to low you also may end it getting called by mutable players and lets be honest a pocket pair you receive may not be a big one. If your stack is short but on the bigger side waiting for a pair is not a bad idea but if the stack is getting a bit to short "7BB area) i would push even the junk aces.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pair scarier than junk ace

If the junk ace contains a 3,2,4or 5 then I like it better than a small pair. Chance for a straight. Flop tells the next play.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If the player watches and analyses in his mind the maths of the game I think that there is at least one suitable moment to play any cards, even the weakest ones.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure how small a short stack would have to be to shove on either small pairs or low aces. The internet say 25 or less bb. Personally I disagree. Say if the blinds were up to 2,000/4,000 and you had 100,000 chips. I would feel like I still had a playable stack (not have to go all in preflop). I think everyone must decide for themselves when they feel like they're a low stack. I still think playing in the parameters of "good starting hands" at the 25 bb level is how I proceed with my game.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would shove any pocket pair here and A9 and above.

I

ice mary

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when the stack is really small, I play both Aх and the pair

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips

There is an app for your phone from Float the Turn, which gives recommended push fall call recommendations for stacks from 1 to 20 BBs.I found it enlightening.

Thanks for sharing the first link , currently I am using the FloatTheTurn chart and I think is very decent!

cash123

cash123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I avoid playing A2A3A4A5A6A7A8A9AT at the beginning of the tournaments, but the end is a good option as the opponents select their hands better, lower pairs the same, they are not my forte.

xxxREAPERxxx

xxxREAPERxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hardly ever play junk aces unless im limping into a blind,,A9 off is about the lowest ace i will play unless suited and thats just because it is almost just as strong as A 10 but A9 doesnt reach a str8 so its junk,but i still like it, and i will always limp in with any pocket pair,,never know when the set will flop.But playing any Ace rag will kill you if you hate folding aces,,say you catch 2 pair with A6 and a pair of 7s hits the board,,you now have 2 pair with As and 7s but the person who played the other more quality ace now has you beat with the kicker.

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kickers

Dan Harrington mentioned this in one of his books. I can't remember which one, but that doesn't matter. I am paraphrasing:

"Kickers are on an accelerated depreciation curve. AK is a great hand; AQ is good; AJ is OK; AT is almost down into the junk heap; A9 and below are junk."

Personally, I play Aces with low kickers only if the conditions are very favorable (good pot odds, good position, lots of fish). In marginal decisions, I am more likely to play them if they are suited, of course.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position in the table. But usually if push comes to shove I rather have an A-rags than small pocket pair.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probability is just probability .. and also just possibility.

Odds are just odds, if you are unlucky the odds didn't matter.

H

hooble1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both are useful in different situations. When you are deep and on the button, don't be afraid to 3-bet with a small A against that guy who opened one or two seats before you :)

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always depends on the situation

It always depends on the situation at the table for me, I will play either if the position is right and the people at the table are being tight. It is okay to pick up blinds in late positions with crappier hands. If you do this from early positions then you can get into trouble, especially when you are already low on blinds.

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No expert here.

But I only touch A2 to A5 (wheel potential) OR A10 or above.

If the moon is right - and I have enough alcohol in me - I MIGHT play an A8 or A9.

SUITED though? Sure - A2 through AK - without doubt - I'm a sucker for that 4.2%, 23 to 1 gamble ? I DID say 'sucker' but Something about A + Anything SUITED I look at - A2 is kind of my favorite suited... Why ? Because if I hit the flush ? I can say - as I have since I started playing poker, doesn't matter what that second card is if I'm after the flush since I have the A.

Answer in long (obviously since I prattled on this long) ?

A2 to A5 unsuited OR A 10 or above for me...

A6 to A9 I skip.

then again, I'm also someone who WILL play 4 7 unsuited every now and then for a total gamble + I figure, if I ever hit a straight there, etc, no one in their right mind would expect me to be playing 4 7.

I think Brunson thinks like this - playing REAL oddball - BAD hands sometimes, 2 7 even - just because of that 'surprise' factor you get - but like a trip to Dairy Queen - I only do that once a year - that place is SO expensive and SO is playing 2 7 unsuited too heh.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys. Kind of wondered if I was playing those A and low cards correctly. Must put thsi info to good use in my next tournament.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
when there is the urge to make chips fast in the blind I bet with any AX, of course a pair could save you, but being a low pair is more difficult to connect a play