Junk Aces, or wait for a pair

C

canfoldaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would always prefer a pocket pair but you may never get one. If your stack gets to low you also may end it getting called by mutable players and lets be honest a pocket pair you receive may not be a big one. If your stack is short but on the bigger side waiting for a pair is not a bad idea but if the stack is getting a bit to short "7BB area) i would push even the junk aces.
I agree

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer the pairs!
But it depends a lot on the situation of the tournament. There are some deeper details that make this or that decision better.
"In nature nothing is created, nothing is lost, everything is transformed." Lavoisier

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What about if you are really short and can't wait for anything. Would you prefer to shove with low, connected cards, like 64, or a hand like K7.

Let's say you are on the button with no one in the hand and you have 3xbb

ATC.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am talking no hope junk: A6..9, unsuited. When the blinds are getting up there, you need to make money, what is the preference, a junk A or 22, 33? Does your gut trust a lousy pair more than a junk ace?

Pairs do slightly better in all-in situations vs a strong range than Ax.

From running it in equilab it's about a 2-4% difference depending on the calling range.

for this reason I prefer to wait for pairs than junk aces, but really, I take what I can get.

If you're talking about specifically short stack ranges in tournaments, then it depends on your position and stack sizes and shoving charts (which can be found in most MTT books and on training sites) will do wonders to help you know exactly what to push when.

As for not getting short in the first place... try this :)

Good luck and happy stackin my friend!

D

disoft21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Couples are usually better than a junk Ace in confrontations against a single villain, however the difference in probabilities between the two is not much, so if your battery is short and you get couples or Ax and the confrontation is not multi-well but against a Only villain the two options are right to try to double your stack

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you need to stick it in, besides Ax anx small pairs, you should comsider comectors (45, 67) and same suits card. Gl!